R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #61
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSorber View Post
I did not know that the 960 had all those problems.
Nope, 960 never had that problem, it's the car that you import that is having that problem, so it's either you are selling a lot of parts or your drivers are using a lot of Mugen parts on the car the you sell.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #62
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

O well..... we will see which design fault the 966 has. From the Excel on almost every new designed car by Serpent had some problems...

- Excel: belt rubbing backplate screw engine, bad design centering rear body mount
- Veteq: 2-part chassis was a disaster, tank was rubish (same tank as Veteq 2000) and again problems with the engine backplate screws
- 960 had finally better and thicker plastic but the scew to set the rear camber was difficult to get.
- Talking about using Mugen parts.... The 960-008 rear suspension is based on the Mugen parts, actually in the beginning they did use original Mugen parts.

With the 2-part design on the rear transmission I do see some problems.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #63
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Serpent 966 scoop-3 (01/02/2009) By: Ronald Baar

Serpent 966 1/8 scale 4WD

Before we bring you the more complete specs and images of the 966, we like to show you the bracket which supports the 2-speed shaft and the right hand side.

This beautifully machined masterpiece has a number of functions to take care off:
-support bearings of the the 2-speed layshaft and together with its left counterpart, make it run 100% true and free
-support / fasten the right hand side carbon fibre chassis stiffner
-support the ball-raced aluminium hard anodized brake-cam and holds the spring-loaded brake-assembly with the 2 slider-shafts and steel brake-pressure pins
-support the ball-raced rear anti-roll bar

The right bracket has 2 steel pins pressed into the bottom side, which then precision fit in the position holes in the chassisplate, to create a perfectly true fit adding precision and stiffness. The same system is also applied to the left counterpart and the rear machined alu bearingblocks. So even when the 2-speed shaft brackets are separate from the main aluminium rear bearingblocks, the assembly pin-system will secure a pertect fit and very rigid construction, together with the new allen type steel screws (throughout the car).

The same system is also integrated in the new 1/10 scale design ( under development).

The advantage of the separate parts lies in the fact that dis-assembly and maintenance is quicker and easier and the structure is open and easy to access.

Team Serpent
Old 02-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #64
Tech Master

i am guessing how soon we are going to see the new front conversion kit
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #65
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow i`m felling horny just looking at those picks.
LOL<LOL<LOL<LOL<LOL<LOL<LOL<LOL<LOL
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
O well..... we will see which design fault the 966 has. From the Excel on almost every new designed car by Serpent had some problems...

- Excel: belt rubbing backplate screw engine, bad design centering rear body mount
- Veteq: 2-part chassis was a disaster, tank was rubish (same tank as Veteq 2000) and again problems with the engine backplate screws
- 960 had finally better and thicker plastic but the scew to set the rear camber was difficult to get.
- Talking about using Mugen parts.... The 960-008 rear suspension is based on the Mugen parts, actually in the beginning they did use original Mugen parts.

With the 2-part design on the rear transmission I do see some problems.
What problems do you see
I just finish building the 966 & do not see any problems in the rear can you enlighten us
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #67
Tech Champion

With the old rear end (one piece mount) the belt tension is secure. With a 2-piece system flex or a loose screw takes away the belt tension. And going to aluminium parts it is wise to use loctite....
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

This car looks awesome I like the new parts
Old 02-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #69
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
Nope, 960 never had that problem, it's the car that you import that is having that problem, so it's either you are selling a lot of parts or your drivers are using a lot of Mugen parts on the car the you sell.
I dont know where your information comes from, we have had some minor problems but not what you write here...

And regarding "Nope, 960 never had that (those) problem(s)".... watch out, we know very well the problems we have had (with the 960) and in contradiction to you I will not write them down here... I will also not mention the example car for the rear of the 960

Lets coninue the normal conversation...

Last edited by PMSorber; 02-02-2009 at 03:08 AM.
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #70
M7H
Tech Elite

SMP Slide?
Old 02-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
With the old rear end (one piece mount) the belt tension is secure. With a 2-piece system flex or a loose screw takes away the belt tension. And going to aluminium parts it is wise to use loctite....
That does not seem like a problem just an assumption there is 3 screws on each side & an avid racer who constantly reviews there equipment would notice a loose screw before it will have an ill effect.
+1 on the recommendation of using loctite just make sure it's the medium type
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've seen Velox drivers use a Kyosho rear aluminum pulley because the pitch on the stock pieces was wrong and the rear belt would melt the stock plastic pulley after a couple of runs, I've seen twisted dogbones, and worst of all I've seen upper decks and tanks blown to pieces from a light head on hit.

I dont understand why people have to go on a cars thread and bad mouth it. Is it the fact that you guys know that the 966 is better and in order to generate sales you have to bring other cars down? I mean, it seems like you guys dont think that the other cars are good enough, so instead of making them better, you choose to put the 966 down by inventing problems that dont exist. Thats the loosers way.

By the way, I dont think many of you have actually seen the 966 in person, a very select few have the cars. I pit with a Team Serpent driver, I've seen it in person.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Watching you guys on here, makes me not want a Shepard or a Serpent and not because of one car being inferior to the other. You guys need to chill out. Both companies have posted good results, don't ruin their reputations by bickering on here.
automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #74
Tech Master

i saw the 966 in person. according to the guy in the hobby shop who is putting up the display sample, he said the geometry is no different with 960-08. hence, the 08's version of rear lower arm is usable in 966. having said that, the rear end is lighter weight than 960.
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #75
Tech Champion

Funny.... The Veteq as a very good example was a wonderfull product and a piece of art while the 1st cad drawings already told me that it will not work because the engine was made as a part of the chassis. And yes, engines did not perform well in the original design because the strees on the crankcase and so many people did throw away this wonderfull "piece of enginering".

My prediction is that this 966 rear design will cause more stripped belts, a better inspection of the screws is needed als also the experience of working with aluminium parts.

But hey, your beloved Sam started this issue by bashing the Velox and denied the problems with Serpent.