R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #1981
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
here is the upgrade

Looks Great. Some preventative updates I would suggest.

Carb return spring incase the ball link pops.

Amb Mount (I know u cut the tabs out but I had the same way and the double sided tape came out...) or use shoe goo to glue it in place. also the reception of the amb unit is lowered sitting side ways. FYI

Heat shield to the receiver since you are using the laydown servo style. I would recommend standing up style gas servo as there is less play. also you can fit the servo under the tray with alittle modding to the tray it self. that enables you to move the receiver out of the heat source and away from fuel spills.

have fun.

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #1982
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
Looks Great. Some preventative updates I would suggest.

Carb return spring incase the ball link pops.

Amb Mount (I know u cut the tabs out but I had the same way and the double sided tape came out...) or use shoe goo to glue it in place. also the reception of the amb unit is lowered sitting side ways. FYI

Heat shield to the receiver since you are using the laydown servo style. I would recommend standing up style gas servo as there is less play. also you can fit the servo under the tray with alittle modding to the tray it self. that enables you to move the receiver out of the heat source and away from fuel spills.

have fun.
thanks, I have the ofna carb return spring on the carb already
Juwan Hunter http://rccarworld.com/............ serpent.com
Track director at RCCW.
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #1983
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Any one interested in a 966 Evo with WC upgrades? And it comes with a Flash? Never raced. Only break-in!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #1984
Tech Rookie

Hello

Long time lurker first time poster....

I recently purchased a second hand 966 evo with most of the upgrades installed to make it a TE I'm just missing the new radio plate which I will purchase at a later date, I've found something on the car which I can't find in the manual its two track rods one on either side of the tank that attach to the radio plate bracket then up to the radio plate, is this a option part ? should it be there ?

Another thing is i bought four sets of serpent 1/8th scale foams of ebay, the front fit just fine but the back wheels will not go on properly they come in contact with the body mount arm on the uprights, have I bought the wrong style rims, is there a work around for this ?

This is my first 1/8th scale car, only ever raced 10th before, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #1985
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The links on the side of the tank are a option, they are for what is called a floating radio tray, what it does is take some of the rigidness out of the car to help make the chassis flex more. In the end it makes more traction, some folks use it and some do not i would recommend you try it with them and with out to see how you like the car to feel.

As for the tires if they were the serpent oem rims they will not fit on the evo car, the newer serpent cars use the same off set as the other cars on the market, so if you go and buy tires from lets say Capricorn they will fit. But if they are the yellow rims of the past they will not.

Hope this helps. you bought your self a really good car that is very durable, if you have questions please post and some one will answer.
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #1986
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesUK View Post
Hello

I recently purchased a second hand 966 evo with most of the upgrades installed to make it a TE I'm just missing the new radio plate which I will purchase at a later date, I've found something on the car which I can't find in the manual its two track rods one on either side of the tank that attach to the radio plate bracket then up to the radio plate, is this a option part ? should it be there ?
This is the item you are talking about.
http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.co...prod=SER903354

Its an upgrade that does a good job of making more rear traction. At my local track, drivers have had to disable their front sway bar in order to get more steering to compensate for the added rear traction. It gives the car a very planted feel. With the TE front end and rear end mod, not only does it feel more planted but it also is quicker in both entry and exit on the turns. You may like it so much that you may not feel the need to upgrade to the new radio tray.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #1987
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Its an upgrade that does a good job of making more rear traction. At my local track, drivers have had to disable their front sway bar in order to get more steering to compensate for the added rear traction. It gives the car a very planted feel. With the TE front end and rear end mod, not only does it feel more planted but it also is quicker in both entry and exit on the turns. You may like it so much that you may not feel the need to upgrade to the new radio tray.
Yes thats whats installed on the car, thanks for the reply I will leave it on and give it a try, I was gonna purchase a engine this weekend but after three weeks of rain I wake up this morning to snow think all racing will be cancelled at my local track until next year now .

As for the tires I'm a bit gutted, you are correct J-MAN they are yellow rims, four brand new sets for 25 new it was to good to be true.

Ive used savox servos in my 733 with success, I was thinking about savox high voltage servos for my 966, SC1267MG for steering and SC1268MG for throttle would this be a good combination ?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #1988
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
This is the item you are talking about.
http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.co...prod=SER903354

Actually, it gives more steering, not more rear traction.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #1989
Tech Adept

What are the most common springs on the serpent 966 for the front end on the rear
peter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #1990
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

green fronts and pink rears!
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1991
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesUK View Post
Hello

Another thing is i bought four sets of serpent 1/8th scale foams of ebay, the front fit just fine but the back wheels will not go on properly they come in contact with the body mount arm on the uprights, have I bought the wrong style rims, is there a work around for this ?

This is my first 1/8th scale car, only ever raced 10th before, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The track rods were for the flex top plate for the EVO. TE top deck has its own version of the flex links so you do not need the links that are on the side of the tank.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #1992
Tech Champion

Quote:
The track rods were for the flex top plate for the EVO. TE top deck has its own version of the flex links so you do not need the links that are on the side of the tank.

Some people are actually using a full floating upperdeck, they have the front floating as well as the rear with the track rods.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #1993
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
Some people are actually using a full floating upperdeck, they have the front floating as well as the rear with the track rods.
full floating deck?

I do not like the rear links because I feel the car is being tweaked during breaking. I like to keep the throttle link non floating

Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1994
Tech Champion

Quote:
full floating deck?

I do not like the rear links because I feel the car is being tweaked during breaking. I like to keep the throttle link non floating
When you use the rear floating deck you NEED to use the carbon side stiffeners, on both sides.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #1995
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
When you use the rear floating deck you NEED to use the carbon side stiffeners, on both sides.
Yeap we do not use the side stiffners here.we cut the left one to convert it to a belt tensioner only and remove the right one.