R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #1606
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,292
Default

On a more serious note. We were running at the MT Grand Prix this weekend. Scott's car was very fast. The latest upgrades are really taking us in a positive direction. Scott wrote a complete race report that can be found at:

http://teamserpent.com/

If you have any questions about the car we will be at the following events this year:

California Series Races, Timezone, GLC, Nationals and a coupla additional races to be announced. Feel free to come and ask questions, the Empire Boys are happy to help.

Team Empire is expanding this year. We intend on having fun and kickin' butt.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #1607
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

right after i pm you i was printing that set up sheet & thanks for the info guys
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #1608
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,821
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kimbrow View Post
In the spirit of good conversation, I would like to disagree with the very wise Nitrodude...... It is not a requirement to drive your 966 like you just stole it!

Here is what I see as the keys to being fast in 1/8...

1) get the car setup so it can carry maximum corner speed
2) do not drive with drag brake
3) set your push brake for the corner of the track that requires the most braking
4)Drive into the corner with full control, meaning brake early and keep the car pointed forward (you will be much faster if you slowly enter a corner versus severly overshooting the corner)
5) allow the car to do its job through the corner-be patient!
6) accelerate SMOOTHLY while exiting the corner-you will have more control of the car if you don't spin the tires, and you will also save fuel!

I know this style isn't for everyone, and would take some practice, but if you could make improvements in these 6 areas, I promise you will be faster.

Either way, best of luck when you hit the track!
+1
BUt we cant all be Scott Kimbrow
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #1609
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 415
Default

Morganti & 966 take TQ at Kosmic GP
desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #1610
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 314
Default

Scott Kimbrow said:

"get the car setup so it can carry maximum corner speed"

Which setting's are key here? How can I improve corner speed?

Thanks a lot, Stefan
fulcrum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #1611
Tech Elite
 
J.Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,409
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

QUOTE=P2gee;9136022]One of the best things I ever did to help my 1/8 scale driving, was stand under the drivers stand and watch A-main drivers steering and throttle inputs. You can look at their eyes and tell what part of the track they're on and what they are doing radio wise to manage that part of the track. First thing I learned is most were using very small steering inputs..... I at the time was cranking the wheel lock to lock. This told me I had some work to do on my car setup including some of the radio equipment I was using. Second thing I noticed was how much half and even quarter throttle was being used in places I thought were full pin. Half throttle can get you around some parts of a track just as fast a full and save tire and fuel in the process. I still to this day watch drivers on the driving stand, you can learn a lot!![/QUOTE]


If you ever get chance to attend world championship race GO!!!!!!!!!

You will learn a ton just by watching the top guys and LISTENING to the car on different point of track. I also recommend you volunteer corner marshal for the top guys if you every get chance especially at different corners and parts of track. Fantastic way to see and hear the different driving styles with regards to steering input, throttle input and actual placement of the car.

The races are expensive to attend but honestly well worth the time and money spent even for joe club racer like myself. You will learn more in a week than you do in a year!
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #1612
Tech Fanatic
 
Robert R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 883
Default

Patient , man if I could master that while driving I just might have Scott following me. It goal I am working on.
__________________
Chef Robert
Serpent 977
Serpent 811 GT
I have Byron fuel 16, 20, 25 & 30
Robert R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #1613
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,821
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
QUOTE=P2gee;9136022]One of the best things I ever did to help my 1/8 scale driving, was stand under the drivers stand and watch A-main drivers steering and throttle inputs. You can look at their eyes and tell what part of the track they're on and what they are doing radio wise to manage that part of the track. First thing I learned is most were using very small steering inputs..... I at the time was cranking the wheel lock to lock. This told me I had some work to do on my car setup including some of the radio equipment I was using. Second thing I noticed was how much half and even quarter throttle was being used in places I thought were full pin. Half throttle can get you around some parts of a track just as fast a full and save tire and fuel in the process. I still to this day watch drivers on the driving stand, you can learn a lot!!

If you ever get chance to attend world championship race GO!!!!!!!!!

You will learn a ton just by watching the top guys and LISTENING to the car on different point of track. I also recommend you volunteer corner marshal for the top guys if you every get chance especially at different corners and parts of track. Fantastic way to see and hear the different driving styles with regards to steering input, throttle input and actual placement of the car.

The races are expensive to attend but honestly well worth the time and money spent even for joe club racer like myself. You will learn more in a week than you do in a year![/quote]

I've done this, maybe not with WC drivers, but with the local fast guys at least. It helps to see where they let off the gas for the turns, and it will also help with setup. THere used to be a corner in which I was clearly slower(the track is closed now), I volunteered a whole weekend to marshal that corner and I learned where the fast guys were letting off the gas, when I tried to do the same my car just went straight, my setup was off, made the changes and I was faster right away. The same thing happened with another corner where I had problems.

One thing most of us do is hit the brakes way too late, and that slows us down a lot.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #1614
Tech Adept
 
Scott Kimbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum2 View Post
Scott Kimbrow said:

"get the car setup so it can carry maximum corner speed"

Which setting's are key here? How can I improve corner speed?

Thanks a lot, Stefan
Well, I hate to say it, but it is kind of a matter of preference. What works for me may not work for you. However, to try and answer your question.....

When I say "carry maximum corner speed" I am mostly talking about getting the car into the corner carrying as much speed as possible and have it roll that speed through the corner so that you can exit smooth and quick without throwing the car around a lot (which burns up tires and fuel and in most cases loses time). A lot of drivers like to be able to steer the car by having the rear end very free and many top drivers do this very effectively. I prefer to avoid this if possible (sometimes it is not possible and you must make the rear free to rotate the car around some tight turns). I can tell you that almost everyone that has driven my car says it does not steer enough, but, it is what feels good for me. I do think it's very important to note that many of the setups that fast guys run, do not work for the average racer. I also think that the most important thing an average racer can do is not to copy a fast guy setup, but rather to learn what effects certain changes on the car have and then from that information build a set up that feels good FOR YOU.

Typically a stiffer setup will help the car carry more corner speed, and I usually like things like harder tires (if the track will allow), stiffer sway bars (makes the car much more responsive) etc.

I think the "key" settings to keep in mind are things that scrub off speed as you enter the corner if you want to keep the corner speed up..... such as, tires that are too big or too soft (yes the car turns, but it is almost like applying brakes as the tires dig in and scrub off speed) running too much drag brake (many use this as a crutch to "automatically" slow the car, but it is impossible to carry corner speed if everytime you let off the throttle the brakes are being applied!), too much wing, a chassis or body that drags. All of these are things that kill corner speed. Also, having a very free drivetrain will help the car be very smooth through the corners.

I hope this has helped answer your question. Good luck to you, and always remember....... to have fun!

Scott
__________________
Serpent / Serpent America / Novarossi / Spektrum / Xceed Tires / Tornado Fuel / Empire Racing / Protoform / Thunder Power / Avid Bearings / A-main Hobbies / Dynamite
Scott Kimbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #1615
Tech Regular
 
Lilja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 402
Default

Starting to put my 966 Evo together now and have some questions.
Shimming the front driveshafts. How many shims are you using on either side? Cause the manual suggests 4 on the inside and 2 on the outside but that will give you almost 2 mm of play.

Downsides so far as Ive noticed have been, the manual is just utter garbage. Alot of filing and reaming on the A-arms to make everything travel smoothly, like alot more than on my old Mugen.

I am going to ask alot in this thread just so you know. I havent run onroad since 2003 so Im fairly rusty
__________________
Serpent S811 Novarossi Plus-4 BTT Futaba BLS451/452
Serpent S811T OS 25XZ Futaba BLS351/352
Serpent 966 Futaba 9451x2
TLR 22 Toro 9.0kv Futaba BLS451
Futaba 4PK
Lilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #1616
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
Starting to put my 966 Evo together now and have some questions.
Shimming the front driveshafts. How many shims are you using on either side? Cause the manual suggests 4 on the inside and 2 on the outside but that will give you almost 2 mm of play.

Downsides so far as Ive noticed have been, the manual is just utter garbage. Alot of filing and reaming on the A-arms to make everything travel smoothly, like alot more than on my old Mugen.

I am going to ask alot in this thread just so you know. I havent run onroad since 2003 so Im fairly rusty
you sound like me...but i do know when doing my build i didn't file aor ream out anything until i full break in my motor and rand it a few time at the track...when i too the shocks off there were no bindind arms move freely..the only thing i had to ream out was the hole for the spur gears.
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #1617
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kimbrow View Post
Well, I hate to say it, but it is kind of a matter of preference. What works for me may not work for you. However, to try and answer your question.....

When I say "carry maximum corner speed" I am mostly talking about getting the car into the corner carrying as much speed as possible and have it roll that speed through the corner so that you can exit smooth and quick without throwing the car around a lot (which burns up tires and fuel and in most cases loses time). A lot of drivers like to be able to steer the car by having the rear end very free and many top drivers do this very effectively. I prefer to avoid this if possible (sometimes it is not possible and you must make the rear free to rotate the car around some tight turns). I can tell you that almost everyone that has driven my car says it does not steer enough, but, it is what feels good for me. I do think it's very important to note that many of the setups that fast guys run, do not work for the average racer. I also think that the most important thing an average racer can do is not to copy a fast guy setup, but rather to learn what effects certain changes on the car have and then from that information build a set up that feels good FOR YOU.

Typically a stiffer setup will help the car carry more corner speed, and I usually like things like harder tires (if the track will allow), stiffer sway bars (makes the car much more responsive) etc.

I think the "key" settings to keep in mind are things that scrub off speed as you enter the corner if you want to keep the corner speed up..... such as, tires that are too big or too soft (yes the car turns, but it is almost like applying brakes as the tires dig in and scrub off speed) running too much drag brake (many use this as a crutch to "automatically" slow the car, but it is impossible to carry corner speed if everytime you let off the throttle the brakes are being applied!), too much wing, a chassis or body that drags. All of these are things that kill corner speed. Also, having a very free drivetrain will help the car be very smooth through the corners.

I hope this has helped answer your question. Good luck to you, and always remember....... to have fun!

Scott
you on point..thanks for sharing
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #1618
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,951
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kimbrow View Post
Well, I hate to say it, but it is kind of a matter of preference. What works for me may not work for you. However, to try and answer your question.....

When I say "carry maximum corner speed" I am mostly talking about getting the car into the corner carrying as much speed as possible and have it roll that speed through the corner so that you can exit smooth and quick without throwing the car around a lot (which burns up tires and fuel and in most cases loses time). A lot of drivers like to be able to steer the car by having the rear end very free and many top drivers do this very effectively. I prefer to avoid this if possible (sometimes it is not possible and you must make the rear free to rotate the car around some tight turns). I can tell you that almost everyone that has driven my car says it does not steer enough, but, it is what feels good for me. I do think it's very important to note that many of the setups that fast guys run, do not work for the average racer. I also think that the most important thing an average racer can do is not to copy a fast guy setup, but rather to learn what effects certain changes on the car have and then from that information build a set up that feels good FOR YOU.

Typically a stiffer setup will help the car carry more corner speed, and I usually like things like harder tires (if the track will allow), stiffer sway bars (makes the car much more responsive) etc.

I think the "key" settings to keep in mind are things that scrub off speed as you enter the corner if you want to keep the corner speed up..... such as, tires that are too big or too soft (yes the car turns, but it is almost like applying brakes as the tires dig in and scrub off speed) running too much drag brake (many use this as a crutch to "automatically" slow the car, but it is impossible to carry corner speed if everytime you let off the throttle the brakes are being applied!), too much wing, a chassis or body that drags. All of these are things that kill corner speed. Also, having a very free drivetrain will help the car be very smooth through the corners.

I hope this has helped answer your question. Good luck to you, and always remember....... to have fun!

Scott
Thanks Scotty for that info. No I have some more testing to do.
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #1619
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 415
Default

Paolo's car

desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #1620
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,826
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Nice radio tray mod ; )
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 960.... M7H Nitro On-Road 3281 11-14-2013 10:23 AM
Team Kamikaze Rc Racing Team Kamikaze Racing Forum 17924 08-31-2012 03:25 PM
Serpent's Lair ordinaryzam Malaysian R/C Racers 316 10-30-2009 12:29 AM
1/8th & 1/10th 200mm GAS POWERED ON ROAD OPEN RACE Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 98 04-24-2009 11:10 PM
Melaka Club Race 1/8, 1/10 GP and EP 2WD MINI - 1st March 09 zali_sh Malaysian R/C Racers 185 03-09-2009 10:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net