R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-25-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default engine can't start! Please help

Hi, I have a freshly built HPI RS4 3 type SS.

The engine just won't start at all. The ignitor is fully charged and the glow plug is glowing red when i take it out. I set everything(engine setting for break-in) accord to the manual (triple checked). I am using o'donnel 20% nitro fuel. I keep cranking it (pull start), but it just won't start. I even change the glow plug, but still won't start.

I don't know what else can i do!! please help!

How do i know if i primed the engine well, but not flood?

how fast do i need to crank that engine??

Help a newbies out...
pro3racer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

are you sure the engine is primed??just watch for the fuel to enter the carb and then maybe one more press of the primer button if you are using the stock tank..and on the engine you have to pull it over pretty fast to get it to crank...also recheck your carb settings...and make sure your idling isnt to low it should be around a 1mm to 2mm gap..

Last edited by 2mcgrath; 10-26-2003 at 12:15 AM.
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
Tech Adept

If it seems as if the pullstart is hard to pull, try loosening the glowplug. Then once the engine starts, tighten the glowplug again.
I had that problem once while trying to breakin a new pullstart engine.

Or again, the engine may not be primed or maybe flooded.

Hope this helps.
HPIRACER310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Try opening your carb up a little so there is more air and fuel entering, they seem to start easier that way. If all else fails go to your LHS and they should be able to get it started for you.
MattSSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:41 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Find a starter box that you can use. New motors can be a bear to get started sometimes. The box makes things much easier.

First make sure it is not fluid locked. Take out the glowplug, turn the car on its side and pull the starter a few times to get all the fuel out of the engine. Put the glowplug back in, make sure the tank is completely topped off, and get the car primed up.

While turning the motor over with the igniter on, try pulling off the air filter and blocking the carb hole with your finger for a few seconds then release for a second then cover again for a few more seconds. It could take a little while for this to work. If its primed with fuel but not firing, sometimes you need to starve it for air to get the backpressure line pumping fuel into the carb.

I had to go leaner than their break-in setup to get my motor to crank, then richen it back up once it started to run.
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Take the glow plug out and look at it. If it is wet your two rich, if it is dry try priming the engine. NEVER take the Air filter off. This allows dirt to get in the engine. I prime my engines by puting my finger over the stinger pipe, and pulling the pull start about 2 or three times. If it does not start, Again put your finger over the stinger and pull one or two times. This should get you started. You can also try going a little leaner then recommeded.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

few things to check ,
-check engine for possible leakage
-try hoter plug
-open your carb a bit
-lean the low end a bit

have a good one
* Serpent 966 TE Novarossi 35+21, Airtronics M12 *
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

True, covering the exhaust will get the motor primed. But if you need to starve the motor for air to get it to fire, then you must cover the carb. You can do it with the filter on or off, do not drive with it off though. If you are going to do it with the filter on then you should clean it thoroughly first, so dirt from the filter is not sucked into the motor when you press it into the intake.
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Yea #1 always make sure that you see fuel delivered to your carb. You can stuff the exhaust with a finger and pull on the pull start untill you see a stream of fuel going in the carb.

Set the carb at the factory setting. It'll be hard to start because it's pretty rich. Chances are you are flooding the engine. So once the fuel is delivered into the carb....try opening the carb (w/o the filter) all the way and then pull on the pull start - you'll see fuel spraying out. Then try to start the engine.

OR you can try to pinch the fuel like just a bit....while starting the engine. This is kinda hard on a pull start.

Lastly, you can always try to loosen the plug a little - and once the engine starts - tighen it back.

It's tricky the first couple of times - but once you get it going it should be fine.

Tekno SCT410//B44.x Avid Chasis//B5M//HW 3656 - 4700 kv// HW V10//MT-4
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote