R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default newbie.. which car??

Hi All

Few of my friends have recently brought on road cars, some electric and some nitro but I really fancy a nitro Model.
( although I am quite impressed with some of the electric cars)

I am in the UK and have been looking at the thunder tiger ts4n-plus, and the kyosho Fazer both see to be in my budget of about 140-200

Has anyone got any opinions of these cars? or can you suggest something better?

My mate has a nitrotek model, but some hobby shops I have been in have tld m to aviod these? ( and there website is out of stoke of everything!!)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, being new to this I dont really know where to start
many thanks
fallw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Tech Adept

i'm running a hpi rs4 3 evo+.. and besides the dirt and grease.. i still feel nitros offer much more 'adrenaline kick'.. which car to get? team magic's g4rs is quite good, but its best to see what your local hobby store supports and carries and go for it.. no ppoint in going for a great car but limp around for weeks waiting for spare parts..
enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I have a Kyosho Fazer with a Maclaren F1 bodyshell, bought as a ready to run. It's all the fun you expect it to be, and more. Starts easily, runs really well and everything you need is in the pack. Kyosho perhaps have a better parts backup, which I needed before the engine was fully run in. I clipped a curb at maybe 10mph and it flipped end on end five times, snapping a front driveshaft in the process. It is pretty much uncontrollable in two wheel drive

In addition to the kit, I'd get a better glow plug starter which clips and holds the glow plug. The standard one is a bit of a fiddle with the wires and rechargable ones are just better.

Having said all that, electric is much less hassle. Turn it on, go. No messy oil residue, much less noise. When you're driving a nitro car, you tend to draw a crowd (good) or annoy the neighbours (not so good). I can drive my Traxxas Slash up and down my street all day without anyone hardly noticing. The Fazer is equivalent to someone using a lawnmower. Depends on your situation.

The flipside of the flipside is that nitro cars are just way cooler. Much more real, much more fun but a bit more work.

I intend to buy the Haynes RC Car Manual purely to give me a better insight into tuning.
angusdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Not sure on shipping and whatnot, since your in the uk, but amainhobbies has the ofna cd3 and the gpx4 for 159 usd. These are both very good cars and for that price are a steal. cd3 is shaft drive like the rs4 but built much better and with a better 2 speed tranny. The gpx4 is belt drive with racing style clutch and awsome tranny. Not sure what comes with cd3, but gpx4 has tools, fuel squeeze bottle, and decent glowdriver.
cbmracing is offline   Reply With Quote