Wiki Posts
Search

RS12T5S1 vs NSR12S5

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Oooophs, a little bit late. Missed this post of yours...

Glad it worked well for you. So the question now is when it it going to be run in or which car is this engine going to find home...
errr..... yeah, I am still contemplating whether I should save up for a new car or just get a second hand car......in the meantime it will sit in my store room.

Cool info spawn. Thanks. Did you check the spray bars to see if they are the same diameter? Perhaps if you're daring and adventurous enough, put the low speed needle of the NSR into your RS and see what happens...

Did you check the dimensions of the sleeve ports to see if there is any difference? Any difference on the exhaust port height? What about the crankshaft intake window? The opening width different? The most ideal it to put both of these engines on a degree turning wheel to locate the differences in their opening, exhaust, induction etc.
The sleeve looks exactly the same (will check again when I have the proper tool) but I did not measure the crankshaft timing because I do not have a good set of calipers. I am going to try to open my RS12 carb up soon and test it out with the NSR12 needles.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by spawn
errr..... yeah, I am still contemplating whether I should save up for a new car or just get a second hand car......in the meantime it will sit in my store room.
Well, if your store room is too full of stuff, you're always welcome to use my store room. Besides, I have a good set of calipers with me... I'll measure the sleeve and crankshaft holes for ya.

I am going to try to open my RS12 carb up soon and test it out with the NSR12 needles.
Interesting. Keep us posted.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, if your store room is too full of stuff, you're always welcome to use my store room. Besides, I have a good set of calipers with me... I'll measure the sleeve and crankshaft holes for ya.

Interesting. Keep us posted.
I will think about it , anyway do you know how much a digital caliper would cost? and also where can I get it?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

I will think about it , anyway do you know how much a digital caliper would cost? and also where can I get it?
I bought mine in HK for 35 USD. Its a UPM. Get one at places that sell switches/screw drivers/batteries/electronic stuff hardware store. They sell these things much lower than hobby shops.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

piston comparison
From what I see on the pic for pistons, I can tell you right a way, the wrist pin install differently, on one has hole looks to buster on other looks to exhaust. This si create a lot of difference (at list in my understanding). I prefer and I do always-install wrist pin with hole looks to exhaust ( there is reason for it).
Also the height of the scirts look differently too-there is some difference.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

I did not measure the crankshaft timing because I do not have a good set of calipers. I am going to try to open my RS12 carb up soon and test it out with the NSR12 needles.
I will sugest to use protractor for mesuring timing, caliper will not help you a lot. Protractor you can find in any office supply store, I got mine from home improvment store (Home Depot)-$ 1.99
Old 10-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I prefer and I do always-install wrist pin with hole looks to exhaust ( there is reason for it).
For lubrication purposes?

Also the height of the scirts look differently too-there is some difference.
How does the piston skirt affect the performance? Helps preserve fresh fuel during scavenging?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

For lubrication purposes?

How does the piston skirt affect the performance? Helps preserve fresh fuel during scavenging?
No, it is not for lubrication it is related to cranckcase volume, I don't want to have extra not-working volume.
I don't do skirts on my designs, but I am assuming they make it to remove extra friction on the bottom-it does not need there-no sealing. I use other way to achive this issue. I have bigger tappering on the bottom of the sleeve (actualy there are three tapper set ups on the sleeve)
Old 10-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Prophet

No, it is not for lubrication it is related to cranckcase volume, I don't want to have extra not-working volume.
I don't do skirts on my designs, but I am assuming they make it to remove extra friction on the bottom-it does not need there-no sealing. I use other way to achive this issue. I have bigger tappering on the bottom of the sleeve (actualy there are three tapper set ups on the sleeve)
Thanks for the cool information Ed. I notice that you do not have skirtings on the pics of the piston you posted.

p/s: I sent you a PM yesterday. Did you receive it?