Wiki Posts
Search

mt12 turbo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default mt12 turbo tuning

i'm new to racing motors so i need a little help with tuning them. is it normal for my broken in mt12 to idle for 1 minute and then die out. or can a properly tuned motor idle for a whole tank w/o dying. it seems no matter how i tune the motor, 1 minute is about the most i can idle. i'm on tank 7 (20% monster hp). thanks for the 411.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: mt12 turbo tuning

Originally posted by nismoflip
i'm new to racing motors so i need a little help with tuning them. is it normal for my broken in mt12 to idle for 1 minute and then die out. or can a properly tuned motor idle for a whole tank w/o dying. it seems no matter how i tune the motor, 1 minute is about the most i can idle. i'm on tank 7 (20% monster hp). thanks for the 411.
it is ok if you can only idle it for a minute while you are breaking in the engine since you are still on the rich side, when you running in the engine at the track then you can graudatly lean the main needle to the temp you want your engine to run, after that then you can start leaning the bottom end needle(which control the idel) to the point where you prefer then it wont die as easy
Old 09-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: mt12 turbo tuning

Originally posted by Ah10
it is ok if you can only idle it for a minute while you are breaking in the engine since you are still on the rich side, when you running in the engine at the track then you can graudatly lean the main needle to the temp you want your engine to run, after that then you can start leaning the bottom end needle(which control the idel) to the point where you prefer then it wont die as easy
Old 09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: mt12 turbo tuning

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
what is that supposed to mean??
Old 09-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anybody know the stock needle setting for a MR12?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

My high speed needle is flush and the lowspeed is 2 turns out. Mid-range is slightly in from flush (so slightly, it seems like it is flush). That is how I drove mine on Sunday, you will probably have to richen yours slightly as I drive in a hot and humid area.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default m-12

Sounds like your a little fat on the bottem (rich) are you living in high altitude??? And what are your settings at now?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I was running too rich on the bottom. Now I'm about 2 1/4 turns out on the bottom and 4 1/5 turns out from the top. Idle is about 200F. It seems to be revving high though. Can I make the idle gap smaller or does that throw off my settings?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by nismoflip
For what reason do you need your engine to idle for a whole minute? A minute is certainly good enough. I wouldn't lean it out because leaning out the low end may help off the line, but you will sacrifice more midrange punch where you need it, coming out of corners from the infield. Also, if you run really long mains, you risk a flame out from a too lean low speed that will cause your engine to overheat after a tank or two.

As long as the idle revs don't lower within 15 seconds, how long it takes for the engine to idle before it cuts out shouldn't matter. I mean, how many times do you let your engine idle for more than a minute during a race? When you break stuff and your pit crew needs to make a fix, but they will stand for you to keep it running with a blip of the throttle every 10-20 seconds. I mean, pit stops are only like 7 seconds at max with an inept pitman.

That is how I look at the 'how long does it idle for' talk.

That is my opinion on the matter, but to lower the gap, you just back out the idle screw that is angled into the carb (as opposed to being straight in like the low speed, midrange) a little until the idle drops properly.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally posted by Im2lazy
My high speed needle is flush and the lowspeed is 2 turns out. Mid-range is slightly in from flush (so slightly, it seems like it is flush). That is how I drove mine on Sunday, you will probably have to richen yours slightly as I drive in a hot and humid area.
Hi, can I have the MT-12 3-port non turbo engine temp?? I running at 30-35 degree C track. And just to comfirm is that if we run at night mean the temp is cooler we need to rich the HSN or lean the HSN?? Thanks in advance.

khoo
Old 09-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by tkhoo
Hi, can I have the MT-12 3-port non turbo engine temp?? I running at 30-35 degree C track. And just to comfirm is that if we run at night mean the temp is cooler we need to rich the HSN or lean the HSN?? Thanks in advance.
At night, when the air is cooler, you need to richen your main needle. This is so that the fuel oil ratio is maintained. At night when the air is cooler, there is more oxygen. You need more fuel to be burnt with more oxygen available in the air.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
At night, when the air is cooler, you need to richen your main needle. This is so that the fuel oil ratio is maintained. At night when the air is cooler, there is more oxygen. You need more fuel to be burnt with more oxygen available in the air.
But now I running in rich side at both needler. So, do I need to adjust during playing at night or morning?? TQ
Old 09-14-2003, 05:01 AM
Tech Prophet

But now I running in rich side at both needler. So, do I need to adjust during playing at night or morning?? TQ
If you're running rich during the day time and still want to run it rich at night, yes, richen the needles.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
If you're running rich during the day time and still want to run it rich at night, yes, richen the needles.
Prof.D, can just run the car day and night without do any adjustment?? Now the needler set at rich side.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Prof.D, can just run the car day and night without do any adjustment?? Now the needler set at rich side.
If you're sure that during the day time (hot weather) the engine is running rich, then the engine *should* not have any problems in the night. It will relatively run a little leaner. How lean will your engine will be or can you run it with no problems? Best is to listen to the engine and still check the temp from time to time.

You're into night driving now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.