R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   NTC3,V one R, MTX-3, 705 - which shud i get? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/26099-ntc3-v-one-r-mtx-3-705-shud-i-get.html)

yusoliddat 10-16-2003 05:40 AM

NTC3,V one R, MTX-3, 705 - which shud i get?

HI guys, NTC3,V one R, MTX-3, 705 <--- i've seen these models being repeated here in the forum umpteen times, n can see tt it's quite favourable.. well i don't know what they stand for.. can anyone tell me wad they mean and how much they cost? coz initially i've thought abt getting a hpi rs4 3 rtr... but saw that u guys mentioned these cars mentioned above are good choices for a 'first-timer'... i've never touched nitro before btw... pls advice me. thx.

oh ya btw wad's e diff between 1-speed n 2-speed transmission?

kreidel 10-16-2003 05:59 AM

Maybe instead of buying a RC car you should get some help learning to spell and use some correct grammar. I am sure when your typing it you think its funny, but I assure you that its only you and no one else on here. But despite that I will lend some of my advice. If you are trying to start out cheap and dont plan on racing right away and will mostly bash then get a Associated Nitro TC3. You can find them cheap on Ebay and find parts at almost any hobby store and they are really quick, responsive cars. If you plan on racing from the start you might want to look into a Mugen MTX-3. They are very "driver friendly" and are extremely fast with stock setup. I also found that they are tough and can take some abuse, this does not mean the car will not break, only it is going to take more than some other cars out there.

yusoliddat 10-16-2003 06:13 AM

to kriedel

sorri kriedel... i'm a singaporean and in my country we speak a
unique language called 'singlish' so i guess i got carried away and started using all sorts of abbreviations. I truly apologise for that. And i really wanna thank you for replying my post. Well, so do u mean it's better to get a ntc3 than a hpi rs4 3? do u recommend a rtr or a kit i gotta fix myself? I thought abt rtr coz my friend told me it was cheaper (don't understand why toO!). Do u recommend i get a 2nd hand one from ebay? How much do they usually cost?
by they way.. may i please know what is the difference beween 1 speed and 2 speed tranny? thanks alot guys. a hpi rs4 3 rtr comes with a radio and FE15 engine, costs about US$269... So do you still recommend an ntc3? If so i'll follow your advice since i really don't know much about nitro. Well, thanks again.

trey 10-16-2003 06:15 AM

Well, these models that u have listed are the "top of the line" touring cars offered by Team Associated (NTC3), Kyosho(VoneR), Mugen(MTX3), and Serpent(705).
As far as price goes the NTC3 chassi is $250-300, the MTX3 chassis is $350-375, the 705 chassis is $325-350. Then u have to buy an engine, radio, starter box, and accessories.
What model is right for u depends on how u want to use it, and what your budget is. If you are just going to bash around the house and dont have lots of cash to blow then a rtr may be a good place to start. If you plan on racing then u dont want to start with a rtr. Get one of the above mentioned kits and u will have to assemble it so that when it breaks on race day u will know how to fix it.
The difference between 1-speed and 2-speed transmissions is going to be the top speed. If the car only has a single speed trans it will be quick off the line, but will top out fast. The 2-speed trans allows for quick acceleration off the line and has a higher 2nd gear for more top speed.

yusoliddat 10-16-2003 06:22 AM

to trey

If the car only has a single speed trans it will be quick off the line, but will top out fast. The 2-speed trans allows for quick acceleration off the line and has a higher 2nd gear for more top speed. <--- trey, sorri may you please elaborate more on this please? don't understand what u mean... And sorry for asking again, what is the main diff between a kit that i build myself and an rtr? Is it the quality and speed? But i thought RTRs are build by professionals and they should be of better quality than a kit i build myself. Do you know anything about HPI RS4 3? Because i'm still quite interested in it... Why are kits more expensive than RTRs? Sorry for bothering you, if i did. And thanks alot dude...

trey 10-16-2003 07:22 AM

First of all we are all here to help one another. If someone gets bothered here then they have other issues they need to attend to. As for the ignorant comments directed towards u earlier in this post i would like to apologize for that, as we are not all that rude.

ok let me see if i can explain this 2-speed issue better. Just for arguements sake lets say that a 1-speed car will top out at 25mph. By adding a 2nd gear to the transmission it will engage at 25mph and accelerate the car to say 50mph. To make a car with a 1-speed reach 50 mph it would accelerate very slowly at first and get faster as it reached the top of the gear. Using a 2-speed allows for better acceleration throughout the range. I hope this makes more sense.
As for the build quality of the kits. A rtr kit complete with engine and radio costs about the same as just a race chassis, so the quality of the parts used in a rtr kit are usually not as good. There are rtr kits out there that are faster (top speed) than the race kits, but they are far less stable at top speed than the race kits. My friend had a duratrax rtr kit and it would take off at top speed, somewhere around 50 mph the front end would lift and it would start flipping end over end and would break almost every time. The race kits are designed better all the way around. If you compare them side by side you will notice that certain things on the race kits are a much better design. Just because a rtr is assembled by a "professional" doesn't mean that it is better than a kit u assemble yourself.
I do not have any personal experience with the RS4 3, but i talked to someone at my local track last week the just bought one and he is about to sell it on ebay and get a MTX3 so he can come race with us. After watching us race he said there is no way he could race competetively with the Rs4 3. So if you are going to race I would say save up and get a good kit rather than a rtr.

Hope that answers your questions a little better. If not let me know.

yusoliddat 10-16-2003 07:33 AM

thanks trey!

Thanks trey! hehe, u helped me lots. Btw one last question b4 we close the topic... let's say an RS4 3 rtr with radio is $270. Approximately how much would an MTX-3 with radio cost? I just wanna know the comparison so i can get a picture of how much i've gotta spend. After hearing what u said, i guess i'm not gonna take the RS4 3. Lol, since it's so slow. The MTX-3 sure looks cool too man... but how much does it cost plus the radio? Coz i have nothing now... at all that does with r/c. thanks dude. oh yeah, what about the ntc3?

yusoliddat 10-16-2003 07:36 AM

oh sorry forgot something.

i forgot to include that the RS4 3 rtr comes with an engine, radio and everything ExCePt :
Radio Batteries: (12) AA size
Glow Starter: 1.2 volt
Paint: Polycarbonate for body
Misc. Items: Fuel bottle, building and track equipment
Fuel

So let's say it costs $270, how much would an MTX-3 cost with all the relevant parts the RS4 rtr comes with? Or an ntc3?

loosenut 10-16-2003 07:44 AM

Dude you are comparing oranges with apples here.

IMHO, you get the rtr if this is your first nitro car. And all you want to do is bash it or run it around for fun on the streets.

If you are gonna RACE eventually, might as well invest a little more up front and get a better race kit and put together everything else individually.

YOu can't go wrong with the MTX-3, NTC3, or 705. From that point on it is a matter of preference (which one looks more pleasing to you..hehe) and also availability of PARTS in your local area!

With all due respect, there is NO right answer to these type of questions. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If money is #1 issue then get the rs4 3. If quality or performance...then consider your other options..

G

Racer4Life 10-16-2003 07:49 AM

If you are looking to purchase a RTR than you should look into a NTC3 RTR($270.00). The only upgrade you will need to race would be a two speed $50.00. The RTR is the same as the HPI RS4 3 RTR, but several people that have had the RS4 3 said that it was hard to set-up, and it seemed to bind in some areas.

As far as the price comparison!
RS4 3 $270.00

Keep in mind with the MTX3 you will need
MTX3 with motor $450-500
Radio and servo's $100
Starterbox $75.00
and depending on were you are located several spare parts. Actually make sure that your local hobby store stock parts for the car you want to get, or you could have to wait for parts to arrive.

Just my thoughts!

Tom

kreidel 10-16-2003 08:49 AM

Originally posted by trey
First of all we are all here to help one another. If someone gets bothered here then they have other issues they need to attend to. As for the ignorant comments directed towards u earlier in this post i would like to apologize for that, as we are not all that rude.
trey...what was ignorant?

mtx3racer 10-16-2003 09:10 AM

i am done w/ my mtx3, can't get it from sticking in 2nd gear. I think i'm stitching to tc3. My car is for sale on ebay Click here to see more...
http://half.ebay.com/account/include...&1440.03731435

trey 10-20-2003 05:55 AM

Originally posted by kreidel
trey...what was ignorant?
your opening:
Maybe instead of buying a RC car you should get some help learning to spell and use some correct grammar. I am sure when your typing it you think its funny, but I assure you that its only you and no one else on here. But despite that I will lend some of my advice.

Kreidel,
Did you happen to read the beginning of your reply? Your first two sentences were rude, and they are hardly grammatically correct. I am going to assume that you speak English as a first language, so if you are going to chastise someone for poor use of grammar maybe you should make sure that yours is correct first.

yusoliddat 10-20-2003 06:02 AM

hey chill

hey guys relax man, it's my fault i started it wrongly. K everyone let's just bury the hatchet and not get upset over stuff that isn't worth to get upset over. k Take care guys :batman:

kreidel 10-20-2003 06:38 AM

trey,

I didnt say he needed to be a englsih professor....I had a hard time decoding his message and wanted to reply and help with my thought. So maybe if you have some time you can do alittle English 101 with me and help me brush up on some of my skills.

Originally posted by trey
your opening:
Maybe instead of buying a RC car you should get some help learning to spell and use some correct grammar. I am sure when your typing it you think its funny, but I assure you that its only you and no one else on here. But despite that I will lend some of my advice.

Kreidel,
Did you happen to read the beginning of your reply? Your first two sentences were rude, and they are hardly grammatically correct. I am going to assume that you speak English as a first language, so if you are going to chastise someone for poor use of grammar maybe you should make sure that yours is correct first.