Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp Guns...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Temp Guns...

I'm starting to understand exactly how important these things are to tuning and preserving the life of my motors so i am in the market for one now any suggestions I saw a couple on ultimate hobbies in the $30 range one is an ofna PCR themometer . Anyone have input as to the reliability or performance?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

I don't think you need pinpoint accuracy or precision for our use. The temp probe is used as an aide to tuning. It shouldn't be used as the main thing for tuning. As long as its close you should be fine. And for only $30 I don't see how you can go wrong. It costs the same as the MIP on board temp guage.

I have a cheap temp guage that I got a few years ago at Fry's for $70 or so. At the time that was the cheapest one I could find. It has worked really well for me even though its a bit on the large side. I've been looking at the new small ones thinking about how easy they would be to carry around at the track.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

The ofna one has gotten great reviews. Many claim its as accurate as the rayteks. I have had a raytek for years and love it. But I did just by the one from atomik and it works great too.

Fastharry bought a small one at radio shack for about $35 i think and it too works well.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

the ofna one is unbeatable in value
the LHS here just have some in stock, gonna get one even the season is overed
Old 10-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The new one from TempGun is great. Very small, comes with a strap as well as a upright mount. Very easy to operate. You also get a metal case with an extra battery. Normally sell for 30 to 35 dollars. Check it out here www.tempgun.com

Tom
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

wow Thx Guys Those are the 2 I was looking at Glad to hear that they provide good info.