Wiki Posts
Search

First nitro car will be......HPI RS4 Super Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default First nitro car will be......HPI RS4 Super Nitro

Unless you can convience me otherwise.

I have done a bunch of research, and thank you to everyone who replied back, and answered my questions.

I am looking at the RS4 Super Nitro...i think the large scale aspect is very cool...and very intimidating...i guess that is why I am drawn to it.

Are the any issue or concerns I should know about these car prior to purchasing one? I am also looking at the HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS Kit, but the Super is winning right now.

Can anyone give me some stories about either? and why i should look at one over the other?

THank you

URC
Old 10-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had one it was my first car after I got back into cars after some 18 year spread. It was a fun car but nce I decided I wanted to race again I began looking for a class for it and found one did not exist. Unfortunatly it got shelved and I bought an 1/8th and a 200 MM car so I could race. whatever you choose the point is to have fun thats all that matters.

If you do get one the key to making it handle good is to put diff lock silicone in the front diff or modeling clay then scrap the stock tires and get some 10/30 slicks. you can tune the chassis from there build it to the short length and run the bmw body. if I remember right white front springs and green rears.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Motorman
If you do get one the key to making it handle good is to put diff lock silicone in the front diff or modeling clay then scrap the stock tires and get some 10/30 slicks. you can tune the chassis from there build it to the short length and run the bmw body. if I remember right white front springs and green rears.
Great...thank you. What 1/8th scale are you running? I was looking at a proceed...but they are expensive.

As far as racing classes, I really dont care about that...i will only be using it to bash around....no organized events for now.

The Front diff trick? Are you basically saying to lock the front diff? Also, regarding building it to the smaller size...you are talking about the 280mm right?

Thank you
Old 10-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mrx3, proceed is not well supported
and yes locked diff or almost at 280
carefull on the hops or you will end up spending what you would on a competivitive 1/8th scale
Old 10-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default way to go!!!

The super was my first car when I jumped in!!! If you do decide to jump into racing 1/8th scale should not be your first class though!!! Get into the touring cars first and move up! The 1/8th cars are waayyyyyy jumpy when you breath on the throttle and i think if it's your first time inside the boards an 1/8th scale car will just frustrate you and possibly some on the track with you! But like i said, good call on the HPI, easy to tune and bash around with!!!! If you are in hurry to get on the track and you really like the HPI RTR's get the SS kit because everything in the box is legal from the start (car and engine size)
Kevin
Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kevin,

I have a quesiton....i just found out the the SUPER does not have a 2-speed tranny in it.

I have also been reading a bit about its size. I have seen that some people say that they are not that good...that the SS model is actually a better car for the following reason:

1. .12 Motor in the SS is better than the .15Fe in the Super
2. the SS includes the 2speed.
3. Personal question: I am confused on the SUPER's requirment on the battery box and switch....can you show me a pic or link to a suggestion on this?

Thank you..you have been a great help!

I have a Futaba FM radio and RX I will be using in it...so I will have to look for some "moderate priced" servos.

URC
Old 10-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default it's true

Like I said, I'd get the SS. The super I got was just to bash around the parking lot at work, for that it was great. No two speed in the Super. The SS is more of an entry level racer, not sure if it cones with a two speed but thats not too expensive an upgrade if it doesn't. Stick with Futaba servos since all of your other gear is Futaba. What are your concerns with the battery box and switch. Sorry, Pics of my super are loooong gone, we're talking many moons ago.

Kevin
Old 10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Type SS

Does come with a two speed. Looks like a good first racer.
www.hpiracing.com
Kevin
Old 10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had a Super nitro as my first nitro car. It's easier to drive than a regular 1/10 because of the wider stance. I had no problem getting this car around a tight track. Just make sure you use wither the bmw or toyota body. Any of the other ones aren't that great.

-Sushi Boy
Old 10-09-2003, 11:21 PM

two speeds are over rated. look at the size of the track were you will be racing, listen to the cars, most shift and then let of the gas a couple of seconds later. maybe i better qualify that, with the super the two speed is over rated. i bought a super last year for 100.00 i put trinity purple grease in the front diff, (it doesn't lock it but its very stiff) you don't need the ball diff and most of the hop ups for it. a good set of tires and springs is all you need, this will be your first car, trust me, faster is not always better when learning to drive and race. mine had a old worn out o.s. max with the square blue head and a paris pipe, tons of bottom end torque, so i over geared it and it was sweet, ran right with the guys with the mugen engines and two speeds.
good luck with what ever you chose.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys...thank you for the replies.

Man....one minute I am like Super all the way....the next, I am thinking more of the SS.

The one thing that is drawing me to the Super is the larger size...I think it would be just cool to have.

I will not be racing...so the 2-speed is something that i would like to have. I searched at tower, and found the 2-speed tranny for like $55.00 WOW!

HICHEEF,

The only concern is that do HPI or other 3rd party companies sell the battery box and switch? I am not used to NOT having it come with a kit. THat is all

Anyway...i am going to stop by a LHS on the way home, hopefully they will have both models so I can see the diff.

Regarding the body...I dont really like the BMW all the much...but I do LOVE the Toyota! So.......

I will let all of you know what one I go with...as soon as I can decide!!!

Thank you everyone!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

I have a Super Nitro. Its my first R/C car. I LOVE it. i dont race, just drive it in parking lots and the car is great for that. I would recommend it as a first car.

The battery box and switch will come with your controller. As will the servos...so i wouldnt sweat that.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool.....I am pretty much done deal going with it.

The only thing is that I bought my controller off my neighbor, so it did not come with servos or the battery box. But, I guess I can buy one aftermarket. Who makes em'?

URC
Old 10-10-2003, 02:53 PM

just go the hobby shop, it sounds like you have to buy servos anyway, they will, or should be able to help you get set up
Old 10-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

GET the SS...It will save you tons of money, because of features (1 HP Engine, 2 speed tranny...)and if you will be bashing you will want the shaft drive compared to the belts. I had a RS4...I spent hundreds of dollars making it better...and none of that mattered because rocks got stuck in the belts every two mins... I hated the car...I got a HPI Super Nitro Rally...and loved it...it was a great car...the SS has the same drivetrain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.