Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 03:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Cen?

Has anyone ever heard of them? I keep seeing kits on ebay made by them, and they don't look half bad. Has anyone ever had one?

Like this one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=19168

EDIT: Found their website. www.cenracing.com

Last edited by Ward; 10-10-2003 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

They are cheap junk. Don't buy one spend your money on something worth having. There compareable to a radio shack car.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

I used to run Cen cars, specifically the Cen GX-1. I also used to do some of their networking at their Placentia distribution place (Genka).

Most of their stuff is "toy" oriented. The plastic is very flexible, making it resistant to breaking. The aluminum is not machined but stamped - even the standoffs were stamped. You could see and feel it.

The drivetrains were/are very strange - two belt with gearboxes all over. They were very inefficient and there were a lot of things that can break on them.

The motors were low quality, with a lot of air leaks, making it difficult to a: tune and b: keep it running.

However, their new cars have risen in quality, somewhat.

Their "fun factor" series have been a large improvement over their previous stuff. Thicker arms, better aluminum, pivot ball suspension, etc.

They finally came out with a car more designed for racing - the CT4R and CT4S (RTR) - both have gotten fairly good reviews and both are much more solid. I've "laid hands" on the CT4R and it does look like a big improvement. It was interesting, however, that their sponsored drivers were NOT running a CEN motor - but a Pico. . .

Just my opinion, but I still don't think they look as solid as the Associated NTC3, Yok GT-4, HPI (any of them), Mugen or Serpents. . .
Old 10-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I was looking at the CT4R and CT4S, and they didnt look all that bad. However, most places want 300-350 for either one, which seems a bit steep, especially for a company thats trying to break into the scene. However, if they were more like 200-250, then it might be worth a try.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:06 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the car maybe junk

but that engine is not all that bad

that engine was made by Mugen, I had the turbo version before, which was even a little bit hand modified.

not bad at all
Old 10-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, 300+ is way too much for that - you could almost buy an RTR Hardcore NTC3 for that much!

I would be very much surprised if the motor really was a Mugen (which, in turn is based on a Novarossi)

First, it's a .16 - Mugens are .12, .15 and .21
Second, I compared the two (.12 and .16) Cen motors I have in my garage to my Mugen MT-12 and there are no similarites except for basic shape - fin patters, carbs, everything is different, especially quality - Cen motor feels cheap by comparison.
Third - if it was a Mugen, the quality would be high enough that their sponsored Pro drivers would be running it, don't you think? Instead of the Pico?

Old 10-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Cen?

Originally posted by Ward
Has anyone ever heard of them? I keep seeing kits on ebay made by them, and they don't look half bad. Has anyone ever had one?

Like this one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=19168

EDIT: Found their website. www.cenracing.com
Ward,

Do you plan on racing or just bashing? If you are racing I don't recommend this car. And if you are on a budget go to the " For sale Forum" and you might get lucky to find a YOKOMO SD for 150 bucks