Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MTX 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Someone mentioned that Barry Baker was going to do the US debut at nats, not sure if there is any truth to this as of yet... I am eager to see how the new car compares to the current proven cars. My quandary is how light is the drivetrain, and will it compare to the cap / xray in terms of clutch and drivetrain mass.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

The transmission should be almost identical to the xray. It 'was also tested in MTX4. When Xray debut it seemed a MTX4 improved. Everything is done copy of the copy.
The chassis is 4 mm and there isn't back support . I think that it will fold within a short time.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I believe JJ Wang will be driving the 5 at the Nats also.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
I saw the 'new nt1' joke a few pages back, but seriously you wonder how long before some of the features get copied...
I think the MTX-5 is looking just like the new Xray NT2.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nazarc
The transmission should be almost identical to the xray. It 'was also tested in MTX4. When Xray debut it seemed a MTX4 improved. Everything is done copy of the copy.
The chassis is 4 mm and there isn't back support . I think that it will fold within a short time.
Mugens transmission has always been different than x-rays. They went to larger balls and stiffer springs so that it worked better with todays higher out-put engines.
Yes the chassis will fold if your the type to punch holes in boards with your rc car. On the other hand if your a "fast guy" your going to be rewarded with many victories.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
Mugens transmission has always been different than x-rays. They went to larger balls and stiffer springs so that it worked better with todays higher out-put engines.
Yes the chassis will fold if your the type to punch holes in boards with your rc car. On the other hand if your a "fast guy" your going to be rewarded with many victories.
I think what nazarc is referring to is that MTX4R like all the chassis plates designed in earlier years; tweak quite easy compared to those of late model cars. All the cars of that era that I've seen are no different; and NT1 like all newer cars have much stronger chassis plates without compromising weight. The MTX4R is just a little long in the tooth, and MTX5 is sure to be have stiffer aluminium in it.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What are you even talking about? I was running an mtx4 before I switched to xray and the transmissions are VERY different. That was the chief complaint about the MTX4 from almost everyone was transmission efficiency. Back in 08 even swauger said that...
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it is "re-engineered", see who has the similar clutch to mtx5.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
What are you even talking about? I was running an mtx4 before I switched to xray and the transmissions are VERY different. That was the chief complaint about the MTX4 from almost everyone was transmission efficiency. Back in 08 even swauger said that...
To improve the MTX4R, many drivers have mounted the transmission of the Xray. Now I think that the transmission of MTX5 is very similar to the Xray. I know they're different broadcasts MTX4R and XRAY.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know there seemed to be a lot of mass in the MTX4 driveline, I pondered the effects that would have had on it's acceleration and ultimately fuel consumption, though it made them forgiving in that the same mass seemed to give them good momentum once up to speed...

Everything is light now everywhere, and about getting up to speed fast, I have no doubt the 5 will be fragile compared to every previous generation, but really I don't care all that much, race cars are not really designed to crash all the time anyway, if you have crashed hard enough to break something, chances are you heat was a write off anyway.

I'm keen to see the 5 stay without a rear to front brace, I mean just drool over how easy it looks to pull the engine out, all that space, love it, maybe it will tweak, or bend in a high speed shunt, but really if you hitting shit that hard I'm not sure you should be expecting to drive away clean in anything.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I see a great concern about not having the ubiquitous rear brace.If it isn't there maybe it isn't needed,check this photo
The rear bulkhead prolongs right along the chassis and remember they are aluminum bulkheads sure it will flex but it will be controlled.I trust in Mugen's R&D.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

I suppose the number of bearings and belts should be changed. The bearings just slide series (you may need to remove a bulkhead, but clean them more frequently) and the straps are hard and last for 2 days. I do not understand why even put in a box that these belts are useless ... just to buy the other?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

some more pics from Pietsch's MTX5.

http://www.redrc.net/2011/08/mugen-m...obert-pietsch/
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Did y'all notice in pic 10 that he's running low profile servos...
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Jones
Did y'all notice in pic 10 that he's running low profile servos...
It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the new pics, I was skeptical when looking at the original pics, it looked like there was no space for the wires, and while it looks a little tight, new pics prove they will fit.

So I guess I'll go back to the idea of buying a couple of low profile Savox servos to use in mine when I get it...

Actually second thing I noticed in the latest pics, side belt looks like it's rubbing a lot on the manifold...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.