R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   MTX2/MTX3 Parts interchangeability (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/25614-mtx2-mtx3-parts-interchangeability.html)

Ward 10-08-2003 01:18 AM

MTX2/MTX3 Parts interchangeability

I'm probably going to be buying a used MTX-2 in a week or so, and I was wondering A.) how much aftermarket there is for it, and B.) will any MTX-3 parts fit. I know theres tons of aftermarket for the MTX3, but I'm not sure about the MTX2. Also, my LHS wants $110 for it. Its complete minus a radio, but it has servos, 5 bodies, a few sets of wheels, and some misc spare parts. It doesnt look like its been run extremely hard, but I am new to this. I looked over it good, and they say it runs. The drivetrain feels good and tight, as well as the wheel bearings. Should I look for anything else on it before I buy it? Also, is this a good deal for $110?

FREAKAH 10-08-2003 01:32 AM

Dogbones,diff outdrives, diff gears, pillow balls and adjusters, front bumper(foam, upper and lower)bodymounts, belt tensioner, brake disc, pads & hub, bearings(except outer hub bearings), captured ball ends, shocks, exhaust mount......

That's all I can think of right now.

Ward 10-08-2003 01:36 AM

Whoa awesome :) I was afraid that nothing was interchangeable. Thanks!

Im2lazy 10-08-2003 04:26 AM

Truthfully, that is nothing. Switching an MTX2 to an MTX3 will cost you a ton... but FREAKAH did it... (look at his name...) I'd just a buy a new kit personally.

HELLION 10-08-2003 04:27 AM

Jump!

Dude you so need to jump on that car!! You can't lose for 150 bones! I'll buy it from you sight unseen for $200 but if you keep it I have tons of parts for MTX2s and any thing I don't have I can build for you. Earlier this summer I went to a new track and guys where comming up to me looking at my MTX2 and where complementing it but before warm ups I overheard one of them say it's just a 2 they all had 3s and well I hate to rub it in but after the A-main I walked over to him and said yeah it's just a 2 but it's a fast 2 huh... And what really made it bad was I spun one of them in a turn so I stoped and waited he shot past me and with in 4 turns I had him! I hope I don't sound like I'm braggen but that's a fun (True)story to tell! I will tell you this If you are new to this then you probley wont like the car but give it time you will learn to love it as I do and the best way to learn to drive it is to unhook the breaks completley for the first 5 weeks of racing... Trust me:sneaky:

Im2lazy 10-08-2003 04:38 AM

oooppss...

Im2lazy 10-08-2003 04:43 AM

Re: Jump!

Originally posted by HELLION
...I will tell you this If you are new to this then you probley wont like the car but give it time you will learn to love it as I do and the best way to learn to drive it is to unhook the breaks completley for the first 5 weeks of racing... Trust me:sneaky:
I'm still racing the MTX2, still love it- Fast.

Unhook the brakes:eek: . I can just imagine a guy on the track the first time... end of the straight... Whack!

Ward 10-08-2003 03:27 PM

I have driven my kyosho mantis alot, and practiced on mt LHS's onroad course a couple times, so I have some driving experience :P But my mantis is only RWD, and the brake sucks really bad, so I guess I'll have to learn how to drive a good car now :P

Mario Luigi 10-08-2003 07:04 PM

Front MTX-3 Differential

I own a Mugen MTX-2. I have been racing with it for over two years. I want to know if it is possible to use the mtx-2 front diff. on the MTX-3. Here in Lima Peru, because of track conditions, we cannot race the cars with front one ways.
We cannot use foam tires since we have to much dust in the air and the track gets dusty. Dusty enough to clog the foam tires.
We have better results with the rubber tires, and on our race track we have to do some hard braking. Thats why I need a car with a front differrential.
If somebody knows if it is possible to use the Mtx-2 front diff on the MTX-3. please let me know.

FREAKAH 10-08-2003 10:14 PM

You can't use the WHOLE diff but you can use the guts(internals) and the diff outdrives. The gasket is the same too.

The MTX-3 comes with it's own front diff case halves but does not include the guts and outdrives.

sup 10-09-2003 07:51 PM

i guess we have the same problem ward, am thinking of going for an mtx2 too due to budget constraints. its a good thing you brought up this topic coz im in search of a good 2nd hand nitro kit and the mtx2 is offered to me a few days back at almost the same price (a little cheaper), with engine, tires, etc.. parts support for the mtx3 here (am from the philippines by the way) is ok. the only thing thats holding me back is parts support for the mtx2 and since there is a number of parts that are interchangeable... hmmm... :D

sup 10-09-2003 08:08 PM

how about belts? am thinking of the parts that wear and tear the most and belts are one of them (cant think of other stuff). am a newbie guys (new to nitro, race novice at electric touring), and just want to know if belts wear out that fast on nitro. thanks!

Mario Luigi 10-09-2003 08:16 PM

Depends on your track.
If the track were you race is very clean and free of little chips and that kind of stuff the mugen belts last long.
With the MTX 2 the front belt needs a belt tensioner in order to last very long.

sup 10-09-2003 08:28 PM

how about arms? do arms in nitro break a lot? just wondering, coz i race an electric tc3 and i broke arms until i installed an aftermarket wide bumper. thanks for the quick reply Mario!

Mario Luigi 10-09-2003 08:37 PM

The steering blocks 0f my mugen mtx-2 are very strong. I will say they are the or eme of the strongest in its class. The whole car is pretty tough. It is true that here in my country our track has smooth angled boards. But still I think the car is very strong.
Also I can say that there are still full availability of MTX-2 parts in the Hobbie shops.