Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starter help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Starter help!!

I have a prolux starter box with a panel. My friend recently rewired it for me so it's cleaner inside. But for some reason when I plug my glow starter (connected from teh panel) to my glow plug - I see spark!!! And then the engine wouldn't start. I would literally melt the glow plug!!! What's wrong??? Could I have gotten the polarity wrong. I thought there's no need to worry about polarity here??!? What could be wrong...I melted 3 glow plugs in a role now.

Now when I use my detached glow starter everything is fine!

G

http://www.prolux.com.tw/image/2683.jpg
Old 10-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Probably you're applying too much voltage to the plugs, measure it with a voltmeter you need to put between 1.6 and 2.0 volts to light correctly the glow plug.

Check if your plug driver has one screw with some kind of adjustment for the kind of plugs (Hotter - Colder). Adjust to hotter (less voltage).
Old 10-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

yea it does...but the pair of plugs I used should be preset. If you look at the link I provided. I used the plugs on the upper left corner of the panel. The one adjustable is the one on the right....

I'll find out later when I get home with a meter...thx.

G
Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

So I guess it has nothing to do with polarity?? Because I've got one of those airplane glow starter that I had to solder banana plugs on myself. I didn't know which wire is red and which is black..so I just picked on to be red....

G
Old 10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

sounds like to much voltage or something in the wiring for the glow plug starter is grounding out..