Engine stalling >

Engine stalling

Engine stalling

Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 AM
dvu
Tech Apprentice

Default Engine stalling

Hello,

Have a HPI R40. If I'm holding it in the air and rev it to full throttle no problem. Put if I put it on the ground and rev it to full throttle (either from stand still or already moving) sometimes the engine dies. Any ideas on what I need to change, or do I just need to let it warm up more?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Begin by changing the glow plug. Then check your clutch engagement, sounds as if its not engaging properly.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
dvu
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Also noticed that at low speeds the 1st and second pinion are right up next to each other. Then when I go to full throttle the 2nd pinion moves away from the first (closer to body/inside of the car), and when it slows down it moves back out. Is this how it should work, and what do I need to change if sometimes it doesn't move away from the first pinion at high speeds.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dvu
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Also noticed that at low speeds the 1st and second pinion are right up next to each other. Then when I go to full throttle the 2nd pinion moves away from the first (closer to body/inside of the car), and when it slows down it moves back out. Is this how it should work, and what do I need to change if sometimes it doesn't move away from the first pinion at high speeds.

Thanks again.

Much like the first person said I would check the glow plug but it sounds like you have more of a clutch problem. Pull the clutch apart and check all the parts and make sure the wear isn't too bad. When reinstalling, follow your directions closely and make sure you have set it with the proper gap. Make sure your endbell spins freely. Use shims if it doesnt. A little bit of movement is normal as this is how the clutch operates. The harder the throttle it moves outwards and this is how it engages into second gear. Not sure how much its moving but check your clutch and give it a go. Im no expert but I think this is the right direction to start. Anyone can piggyback if I have left something out! Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

what Kyo Show said sound's right..

sound's like clutch engagement problem...engages to early and to hard and stalls the motor.... i would check your measurement on gap...and end play
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s10dude
what Kyo Show said sound's right..

sound's like clutch engagement problem...engages to early and to hard and stalls the motor.... i would check your measurement on gap...and end play
could also be a locked up one way bering on the 1st gear
I had that happen and it does the same thing
Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 PM
dvu
Tech Apprentice

If that's the case, how do I go about fixing it?

Thanks, Duc