R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Novarossi pipe question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/251122-novarossi-pipe-question.html)

MarTay6 11-01-2008 04:06 PM

Novarossi pipe question

I just bought a Novarossi RX21R1WCS that's going into an 1/8 scale onroad racer, looking for pipe/manifold recommendation for the motor. I've been out of R/C for MANY MANY years, :) and the last time I was involved in RC, pipes were not in use yet except tuned pipes on OPS speed engines. Any advice picking a pipe for this motor? Thanks!
Wes

wingracer 11-01-2008 06:11 PM

A nova 2015 or Sirio 2013 are my favorites.

speedracer1bp 11-01-2008 07:15 PM

pipes

Tuned pipes have made quantam leaps since the era you speak about. We have come from 2 piece pipes held together with hose clamps and a piece of silicone tube and we would measure the bend in the header and lengthen or shorten the distance to the pipe joint. To chambered pipes, (2 and 3) and in recent years one piece pipes. (really two pieces but no silicone tube) held together with springs. Then you change the "tune" by using short, medium or long headers. Also now a days, pipes are used to tune to "short" or long tracks, and especially for fuel mileage.
I would go to the local track and see what they are using and why. You can't go wrong with novarossi and the pipes Shawn suggested are excellent.
Novarossi 2052 is also good, along with the new 3006. Good Luck!!:tire:

MarTay6 11-01-2008 08:32 PM

Thanks, guys-

Thanks for the replies/suggestions, guys- only problem being, there's no local tracks here to really check out what they're running!! So looking not for a high rpm setup, more for torque/broader power band.
Novarossi manifold numbers??

Scott Kimbrow 11-02-2008 07:29 AM

Hello-

I use a Novarossi 359 engine, so I am not positive how the engine you will be using will work with this combination......

I use the 2052 pipe (item #51011) and a 7-ring conical manifold (item #41017). I use this combination about 95% of the time I am racing. it is the best combination I have found for both low end torque, and top end speed.

as far as NovaRossi manifolds go, there are two types for on-road: conical or non-conical. Basically, conical has more power and the non-conical has more fuel economy. Each of those types has three lengths: short (5-ring), medium (6-ring), and long (7-ring). Shorter manifold gives more top end, and longer gives more low end.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your racing!

Scott

MarTay6 11-02-2008 11:41 AM

Pipes & manifolds

Scott-
Thanks for your reply. This is the kind of info I'm looking for... especially on the manifolds. Need to see if I can come up with some P/N's, for manifolds and pipes. Sounds like I'll be looking for a Non-Conical medium manifold, to start then... and sounds like a 2052 pipe will be a good starting point, with 2 recommendations for that. Do pipes/manifolds come with the springs and connecting hardware?
What about interchangeability between brands??? Are there other good brands that would work well with the Novarossi- or should I stick with the brand?
And thanks to everyone else who has responded as well... all your help is appreciated!
Wes

wingracer 11-02-2008 12:05 PM

Some brands are interchangeable, some are not. Sirio pipes and manifolds use 4 springs. Nova and most others use three springs. Generally use the same brand pipe and manifold as the motor you are running. The one exception is the Sirio 2013 that seems to work well on everything. If you buy a combo pipe and manifold it will come with springs.

Scott Kimbrow 11-02-2008 01:08 PM

Sean's info on interchangeability is correct. you can go to www.novarossiusa.com for more information and part #.

Again, it is hard to give advice without being there to run the engine, but I think the 2052 pipe and non-conical 7-ring manifold should be a good start. When you buy the pipe, thats all you get. The manifold comes with a gasket and springs. With this combo you should start with an 8.5mm insert in the carb.

MarTay6 11-02-2008 03:35 PM

Thanks!

You guys here have given me a lot of solid info to work with. No one around me runs 1/8 onroad, so I'm pretty much on my own. That's o.k., the internet- forums like this- and guys like you make it doable!
Joined a couple of other forums, but this one seems to be where the most life is.
Thanks, guys-
Wes