Wiki Posts
Search

lets talk tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default lets talk tires

I have for a long time known that there are different types of foam being used on tires, not just shore but the actual make up of the tire. I also know that there are special compounds being used on tires that seem to be available to the few.

I understand that there was a tire manufactuer at the worlds event that had pallets of tires shipped in and as I understand it drivers would go in the trailer and emerge with tires of an unknown source. this is what I was told.

anyone in the know care to comment on the rumor of a special japanese rubber being used on team tires?? or is this just that rumor?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: lets talk tires

I think the rubber compound has something to do with the cell contruction of the foam tires...

More compact and close type cell construction better for smooth track surface and more open cell contruction for rough track surface? Or did I get it the other way around?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

what no one has any dirt??
Old 09-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Motorman
what no one has any dirt??
I would Imagine not, since most of us are mortals and we do not rate, compared to those who are sponsored by big companies.
Plus most of us would not be able to tell the difference in foam tires,since our track time is far less than those who compete on a large scale.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:48 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Team tyres??? Probably from some brands, other definitely not!

Probably are brands who select sets from their production runs attending to some parameters (glueing, differnce on tyre construction - uniring/multiring and others).

The ones I've seen doing this are the Gandini bros (GRP) on the past year 1/8th Euros at Madrid, seen some unseen tyre models and when asked about them, he simply told me 'research models - NOT for sale or use if you aren't GRP official.

On the other side found some time ago Enetti guys (who I will discuss with anyone who says that are a GRP brand). Is a small factory and he doesn't have possibility of making 'special tyres for official drivers' - they don't have production margin to do this. The tyres used by Enetti officials are the same as you can buy on every shop.

As a bonus they have true shore readings. If they told you that is a 35 shore or a 37 shore, you can bet that could be a straight reading, not like other foam manufacturer with loose readings (in one box of ellegi found a 38 shore and a 41 - was a 40sh set).

Why I say that Enetti doesn't have team tyres? because when the Euros finished I bought a lot of tyres from them and during all the Euros, the driver I helped and pit used the same tyres from the same box as Enetti officials. The unique difference is I bought white boxes of tyres of the same quality I can find on mine local dealer, just only at a cheaper price.

Microsystems (a french manufacturer) makes some similar to GRP, they have the tyres for the plain customer and they reserve for itself some special compounds and split compounds.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

well I can tell you that at the 2002 sedan nats that team associated had tires that jaco were making that were unusual. they were the tires to have. we acquired a couple sets on late friday night and our cars instantly dropped a second a lap. unfortunatly other issues detracted form a good performance from us while we were there but the tires made a huge difference from what we were using. It may have been that these were the standard jaco tire rubber but I understand that they were not. I know the owner of jaco reads these forums maybe he would like to comment. I have used the jaco tire since and really like it however 2mm offsets are hard to get, in fact I don't think I've ever seen any.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Which Japanese company were you talking about in your initial post?

I doubt very much that any of the teams would be using foams that you can buy straight off the shelf.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

I do not know the source of the rubber.

anyone know who makes CG tires? or is it GC

I doubt very much that any of the teams would be using foams that you can buy straight off the shelf.
I think you might be suprised in some cases. why do you think they have gone to handout tires at some races for rubber classes.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

I think you might be suprised in some cases. why do you think they have gone to handout tires at some races for rubber classes.
Boy does this seem so true, but everyone is looking for that competitive edge.

I think maybe they should do that at the big TC events, instead of one set of hand out tires maybe 2, we all know the mark up on tires is a little out of control.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was thinking more about big events and International races.I hope noone tells me that Collari was using off the shelf Gandini rubber !!!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Prophet

anyone know who makes CG tires? or is it GC
You mean GQ tires?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

yea thats the ones i'm lookin for
Old 09-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

It seems to me that there is something in this reasoning that does not make sense. If I was a tire manufacturer, yes, I would experiment with new compounds, cell structures etc. But if I am smart, I should release these tires to the general racing public as soon as functionality has been track verified. Why? Simple. I live in a competitive environment, there are plenty of people out there making and selling tires. If I want my customer to buy and continue to buy my tires, I need to sell them the best tires I am capable of producing. Nobody selects racing tires based on cost (with the exception of club races maybe) My only way to compete is to sell tires that give my customer a percieved (or real) advantage on the track. Why would I keep my best tires to a select few and sell yesterdays tire technology to the guys that will select primary on performance. I think if I did that, my potential customers would soon find alternative suppliers.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Tech Prophet

yea thats the ones i'm lookin for
Yes, they are made in China from what I hear. Pretty good for the price you pay. I heard some people were using them in Cincy at the Worlds. But I guess these were privateers...

Heard anything on their performance yourself?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
It seems to me that there is something in this reasoning that does not make sense. If I was a tire manufacturer, yes, I would experiment with new compounds, cell structures etc. But if I am smart, I should release these tires to the general racing public as soon as functionality has been track verified. Why? Simple. I live in a competitive environment, there are plenty of people out there making and selling tires. If I want my customer to buy and continue to buy my tires, I need to sell them the best tires I am capable of producing. Nobody selects racing tires based on cost (with the exception of club races maybe) My only way to compete is to sell tires that give my customer a percieved (or real) advantage on the track. Why would I keep my best tires to a select few and sell yesterdays tire technology to the guys that will select primary on performance. I think if I did that, my potential customers would soon find alternative suppliers.

Just my 2 cents.
Yup, I agree with Frederick ! New stuff and information must be made know to the other common racers. That is a sure way of keeping customers loyal and happy.

But then again if you take engine manufacturers, don't they do they same? Pick out the best matching piston sleeve and reserve them only for the team drivers...

Perhaps in the tire industry they do this too. Anybody know any secrets to selectively choose tires out a a bunch of them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.