Wiki Posts
Search

Collari new engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 01:28 AM
TKT
Tech Initiate

Motorman,

Just curious about what your experience has been with the new Collari engines. You are making some interesting comments about them such as the crapy carbs and the useless port and was wondering if you have actauly seen one of these engines or had the opportunity to run one? I got to see a couple of these 5 port Collari's run a few weeks ago at Delta. I met the importers there one of who took TQ and 1 st in the Outlaw class. He was pulling MT12's, JP's and RB's by 5-10 feet on a short aprox. 160 straight away each lap. This is in a brand new engine that he broke in at the track during practice that morning and had only 3-4 tanks through it before the qualifiers. Basicaly what I would call a non-broken in engine.

Also when speaking to them and looking at the engines the carbs are completely different than the existing Trinity Picco ones no longer being solely composite. Basicaly they look like aloy carbs that have the middle portion covered in composite for better heat resistance. Also when they showed me a piston and sleeve the bottom 2 ports are open when the piston is at the top of the stroke (flush with the top of the sleeve) which would indicate to me that they seem to work? Just curious if this is based on actual fact or the old Picco bashing thing again?
Old 01-17-2002, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

TKT

It sounds like you're talking about Eric V. If so, he's one of the best drivers in Northern Ca. so that probably had a little to do with his speed. I agree with what you are saying about the carb, though. It does look different than the standard Picco carb and slightly different from the picture posted earlier in this thread. I bought one yesterday and will break it in this weekend. It comes recommended by Eric and I trust his judgement. If it was a pos, he would not be running one. As far as the ports go, I would have to go with motorman's comments. He's an expert in these matters and I'm not. Once I get it broken in and have some track time on it, I'll share my experiences. I also have Mugen MT12's, so I can do a direct comparison to that engine.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:21 AM
TKT
Tech Initiate

psycho, I'am talking about Eric V. as the one of the guys running the Collari engine. Your comment about Eric being one of the fastest guys in Northern Ca is also true but specificaly the guy that I'm talking about him pulling 5-10 feet on the straight is Eric York. Who as you probably know is also one of the fastest guys in Norther Ca, is a Delta regular, wins just about every race he is in and was runing a JP .12 which most would not consider a slow engine.

I also picked one up but from Ace Hobbies hence my first post. Just a little concerned that I got taken. Since then I have taken the engine apart and have to say that I think that this is one of the best puilt motors around definetly something that I would recomend that you do too. A couple of the things that I noticed were knife edged con rod, machined billet piston(I have only seen this in .21's), oversized crank pin (never seen this in a .12 either). The pin is the thing that kinda got me as neither my MT12 con rods or RB ones will fit over it. All in all it looks like they realy beefed up the weak spots on most .12's. These things should also help when it comes to tuning by guys like motorman as I think that the engines will be able to handle the power better.

Motorman my appolagies if I came across wrong it's just that as Psycho mentioned you obviously know a whole lot about engines and your oppinion is well respected by all. Being in that position your comments are taken as gospel (i.e. the word of god as I remember seeing posted some where else). Just hate to see what I think is a good engine and hopefully the one that will finaly offer a viable alternative to the Nova Rossi klan get a bum rap early in life.

Regarding the lower ports I took a picture of mine. Being up-front I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of engine construction so please let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Collari new engine-xs12rt5.jpg  
Old 01-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Please don't get the wrong Idea, I merely stated fact on wether it is truly a five port or not they may be open when the piston is at the top but is mixture flowing into the cylinder then? NO, like I said by the time the transfer and boost ports are actually beginning to open those ports are covered by the piston once again creating no additional mixture flo . The new piccos are vastly improved and they run good from what I hear. I have not seen the collari up close and personal yet but I have seen an RR. One of my close friends in California recieved one before Eric V and he and I talk about engines regularly. As a matter of fact Eric York called last week to inquire about an engine.
On the carburetor though the housing is alumunium covered in plastic its needle designs have not changed hence it should tune similar to the old carb. I have seen the RR carb up close and done a comparison on it compared to the older all plastic one.
I only bash where its appropriate and a carb tuning thing is not really a bash. The rod failing in an engine due to its design is a bash and a well deserved one. As I have said before picco fixed the rod and that is a good thing. I'm sure that will make a 110% gain in their popularity as piccos always made good HP. I should know have run almost every engine they have ever made all the way up through 90's.
On another note if a new engine comes out it usually is less than three weeks before one shows up at the shop for some work. When you do a hundred engines a year you get to see pretty much everything that is out there.

Last edited by Motorman; 01-17-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Yeh but where all waiting to here about the port thing.
the picture shows them open - so what do you reckons the go.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

OK heres a scoop for you, as soon as I finished my last post I recieved a call from Ron Hopkins the importer of the collari line. we had a long discussion about what exactly is being produced for the collari line in the way of parts. I came away from the conversation with a warm fuzzy about the engines. One is on its way here as of tomorrow and if what I was told is accurate and I have no reason to think otherwise it would appear that the collari line of 12 engines will be made of significantly higher quality material than the RR. It appears that there may be more segregation than meets the eye and in fact the collari's desire it that it will stand on its own as a truly seperate engine. Ron has asked me to evaluate an engine and give him som feedback as to its total potential as a modified and any 2 cents worth I may have about improving anything that may or could need improvement. I for one would be happy to have another alternative to a nova, and it looks like the collari may be it. competition is good for the manufacturers, and good for the consumer.
Over and out
Motorman

I did get some input on the crank in the non turbo engine but I will not discuss that at the request of the importer.

Last edited by Motorman; 01-17-2002 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

tkt

That reference I made about motorman being god was then followed by an emphysis of its lighthearted nature. So don't invalidate your conviction by substantiating it with my silly comment.

For a lot of us, Motorman is tthe only resource of good feedback about our motors. So he really deserves whatever "pat on the back" we give him...

MM

So, after talking to Ron...is it still a 3 port??
Old 01-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

TKT,
you were either looking at John Dansbys car or you are John in disguise. is that you JD
no offence taken, Its good to have people question my comments as I have been wrong and when I am or have proven to myself I am you will find that I will publically acknowledge the fact. One thing I don't have is an ego problem.

I still contest from a technical aspect it is a three port, but run it by roar tech and see what they call it!(a five port) Guys don't get hung up on how many ports an engine has, some of the fastest engines I have are three ports. My three port RTO's will run down those stock RB five ports over and over. Its the total package and timing of the engine that is important not how many ports it has. On this fact Ron Paris and I agree. Ron even publicly states he holds this position to on his website and I agree with him.

you want to know a funny thing, I build and ship alot of engines. it is rare that I get feedback on these forums about them, infact it is rare to hear from customers after an engine is delivered in the first place. why is that? if their not calling I assume their happy. Its kinda wierd, I know alot of people read my posts that i have built engines for, what gives. Or they just keeping it a secret. maybe thats a good thing. I'm not looking for confirmation of the engines ability but its kind of erie not getting much feedback.

Last edited by Motorman; 01-18-2002 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Tech Initiate

The fact that your customers keep buying additional engines should be feedback enough!!! BTW, should I just have my paychecks sent to you directly? LOL
Old 01-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hows it goin bro?
How did you like that eagle???
Old 01-17-2002, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

The Eagle? Like bringing a gun to a knife fight!!!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Where to buy Picco/Collari?

Does anyone know a good shop that carries the new Picco/Collari's and does mail order? I went to www.rcimports.net, but they list no dealers. I've gotta get one of these.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

nemisis send them an email.

I like that one Those things do haul ass, to bad their so damn hard to do.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Where to buy Picco/Collari?

Nemesis

Castle Hobbies in San Jose, CA has them. www.castlehobbies.com
Old 01-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys. You know they gotta fly if they impress Motorman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.