R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Selecting the right gear - what techniques do people use?

Just have some deep thoughts about gearing after reading Josh's comment on it.

How do you guys go about selecting the right gearing? I understand that it is all about maximum revs/power on the longest straight, but its obviously not the easiest thing to find.

If I wanted to improve fuel mileage do I gear up or down? - so if I am running 17/21 pinions and 56/54 spurs what would I change to improve mileage?

When do you decide to change spurs over pinions? - I currently see spurs as the main change, and use pinions as a fine tuning change.

Here is how Josh does it, but it makes no sense to me....

Gearing - Another thing to watch for is your gearing. I always try to set my clutch on kill and then gear the car as high as possible to control the wheel spin. Rather than running a "soft" clutch that will cause you to load the engine alot, even at low rpm, and kill your throttle response. I like the "Set to kill" clutch setting with overgearing as it makes the power band feel more like an electric car where you can drive with using the full range of the throttle rather than just mashing it all the time. Basically, I just keep gearing the car up until the car starts to push off the corner (no wheel spin). From there I'll drop back 1 tooth on the spur just so I have enough to rotate the car with a little wheel spin if I need it.
implusepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

who is this Josh you speak of?..
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this sounds like Josh Cyrul's evolva tuning tips.

he is describing an approach to get controllable punch out of corners. the 'clutch on kill' is a clutch with a higher rpm engagement that will have 'more punch'. (this is another discussion in itself).

so what Josh is suggesting is to set the clutch for maximum punch and then set first gear for drivability for the track conditions/driver skill in question.

you will need to experiment for yourself to see whether your lap times benefit from this balance compared to a slightly less punchy clutch and lower 1st gear ratio.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote