Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What do you REALLY think about Blue Thunder "RACE" Formula.. >

What do you REALLY think about Blue Thunder "RACE" Formula..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you REALLY think about Blue Thunder "RACE" Formula..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default What do you REALLY think about Blue Thunder "RACE" Formula..

well,I have to admit...for the first time,I tried BT "race" in my RB...After years of running Trinity MH,and before that Wildcat,I thought BT ran smoother,idled better,and although it didn't seem to make as much power,overall was better running...(not as touchy tuning)....

what do YOU really think?....
Old 09-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

I run blue thunder race in my Rb C5 collari and I run trinity in my RB C5 and my OS. I think the blue thunder runs better and cooler. I am having a hard time getting the same power out of trinity.

The one thing that conserns me is that after a few gallons of running BT I took apart my engine and there was white stuff in the ports. (after 6 gallons) It was some sort of build up, however it was greasy kind of.. Otherwize the engine looked great. Of course blue thunder will make internal part blue but that is nothing, just the dye.

I am also wondering what other people think about blue thunder race. I have heard both bad and good things about BT. Please give me your thoughts.

Last edited by niffken; 09-10-2003 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

I have been a big fan of BT Race in the past because it contains castor, which helps out on those extra lean runs. Recently, my local shop expressed some resistance to ordering some in 20% Nitro level (for some reaon, they stock plenty of 30%) so I decided to try something else.

Picked up a bottle of O'Donnell 20%, added 1 ounce of degummed castor to the bottle, shook very well and then tried it out in an engine (MT-12) tuned on BT Race, running around 200 degrees F (still running the new MT-12 a little rich).

Results:

At the same settings as the BT Race, the engine ran 190 degrees F. I leaned the LSN in 1/8th of a turn and got the temps right up to 200 degrees.

The engine had better power than it did on BT Race and I still had the extra insurance of a little bit of castor oil in the mix.

Overall, I'm pleased that this worked out, since it means I don't have to blend my own fuel and O'Donnell is pretty much readily available at all the shops and tracks I frequent, so I'll never have trouble tracking down fuel.

Don't misunderstand me, I like BT Race, but it is definitely down on power to O'Donnell, even O'Donnell with castor added.

-Jeff
Old 09-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: What do you REALLY think about Blue Thunder "RACE" Formula..

Originally posted by fastharry
what do YOU really think?....
GOOODD LIGHTER FLUID!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JeffS
I have been a big fan of BT Race in the past because it contains castor, which helps out on those extra lean runs. Recently, my local shop expressed some resistance to ordering some in 20% Nitro level (for some reaon, they stock plenty of 30%) so I decided to try something else.

Picked up a bottle of O'Donnell 20%, added 1 ounce of degummed castor to the bottle, shook very well and then tried it out in an engine (MT-12) tuned on BT Race, running around 200 degrees F (still running the new MT-12 a little rich).

Results:

At the same settings as the BT Race, the engine ran 190 degrees F. I leaned the LSN in 1/8th of a turn and got the temps right up to 200 degrees.

The engine had better power than it did on BT Race and I still had the extra insurance of a little bit of castor oil in the mix.

Overall, I'm pleased that this worked out, since it means I don't have to blend my own fuel and O'Donnell is pretty much readily available at all the shops and tracks I frequent, so I'll never have trouble tracking down fuel.

Don't misunderstand me, I like BT Race, but it is definitely down on power to O'Donnell, even O'Donnell with castor added.

-Jeff
Jeff, where do you buy degummed castor oil?
Thx
Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

fastharry has finally realized what i have been telling him for years. blue thunder is a good fuel and runs fine. as good as the others and in some engines better.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

i run 20% o'donnell in my mr12 3 port bored carb and i dont add castor and it runs great very fast
Old 09-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by stefan
Jeff, where do you buy degummed castor oil?
Thx

Hi Stefan..is this it?..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS627&P=7
Old 09-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by fastharry
Hi Stefan..is this it?..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS627&P=7
That's the stuff!

LHS stocks it where I'm at.

-Jeff
Old 09-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone know where you can find a breakdown of what's in Wildcat(Trinity) and Byrons(Mugen). I've used both and like both but the lack of lube in Wildcat is starting to make me wonder.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rod_b
Does anyone know where you can find a breakdown of what's in Wildcat(Trinity) and Byrons(Mugen). I've used both and like both but the lack of lube in Wildcat is starting to make me wonder.
some info here http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/fuel.html
Old 09-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I REALLY think I've been using it for quite some time and have been happy with it. I have seen some of the blue tinting inside the engine that people have mentioned, but I haven't seen any ill effects. It burns clean, strong, has plenty of lubricant and works...

...don't know what else to say about it really.

I don't understand why this question keeps popping up anyway. The people who question its quality can always use something else. Its not like there aren't plenty of options out there!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

anybody have an opinion on the traxxas top fuel 20% nitro??
Old 09-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default Fuels

I know that Trinity Power Blend is 12% oil (my favorite) and the Race Blend (Platinum) is 8% oil. I thought that Wildcat was 14% oil.

Traxxas Fuel is good for Bashing (14% oil), but at the cost of Power and a smooth idle for Racing.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Darkseid
I REALLY think I've been using it for quite some time and have been happy with it. I have seen some of the blue tinting inside the engine that people have mentioned, but I haven't seen any ill effects. It burns clean, strong, has plenty of lubricant and works...

...don't know what else to say about it really.

I don't understand why this question keeps popping up anyway. The people who question its quality can always use something else. Its not like there aren't plenty of options out there!

Hi Darkseid...

I wasn't really questioning the quality...

I was pretty amazed it ran in the RB's better than the trinity(wildcat)....

I had REAL bad trouble with BT reg formula a few years back..thats why I switched to wildcat,then Trinity(I likes the 12% oil content vs. Wildcat Elimanators 14%,which is also teh same as HPIs..ALL of these fuels are mixed by Wildcat)..

Just wanted to see other peoples opinions..

If you've taked your engines apart,have you noticed any rust inside using BT?...That seems to be a big complaint..