Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Built just for speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dont have any vids of Ziggys .18 powered car. But I do have a video of the nitro scale class winning run by my team driver Gary O'Connor running his NTC3 powered by my modified JLR .12 at this years USA world speed challenge meet. The conditions were VERY slick out there for the guys. So speeds were down by all from there previous testing. But IMO that is what makes these event so much fun. Theres actually alot to these cars with the areos and engines etc which is what draws me to it so much. You not only have to have a VERY powerfull engine you have to get it to the ground!!

Vid of the USA nitro scale class winning run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhh0F9bSmh4
Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Hi Aaron. Now I know why you are interested in the speed thing!

I have a design for a speed car using 2 x 7.5cc marine engines (I cant see the pic above so dont know if thats the twin car or not) I tried using marine pipes in cars in the past and they do produce a lot of power but all at a single rev band. In a car there is very little power in the low revs and when the engine comes on pipe the power comes in with a big bang. Thats OK on a boat but with a car you need control. Here is the Alien 4

http://alien-4.blogspot.com/

On my RRR i got 84 in 1st and when it changed to 2nd it stalled. I'm sure it would have gone a lot faster but I could not get it on the power band.

The new design is a 4 speed gearbox and bigger engines to ensure enough torque to get the thing going. Lets hope it works

If that dont there is always the 200mph rocket car!!

http://black-knight-rc.blogspot.com/
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know exactly what you mean with the boat pipes. Perfect example is when Gary was running his NTC3 at the USA meet this year.. right as it was crossing the finishline it started to get on pipe and gain RPM!! If it would have got a better run up or maybe even lowered the gearing just a tad it would have went faster without doubt! Engine has to get on pipe or its game over. Which goes back to there alot of setup invloved. Of course u have to have a VERY powerfull mill... but you also have to have it setup JUST right! There alot more to it then just gearing them to the moon and hammering thats for sure!