Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spraying on on-road asphalt track

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Spraying on on-road asphalt track

Hi i'm from a small rc club in Puebla Mexico. i was reading the thead about that parking lot that G.L.A.R.C.RC turnned into an rc track, and i saw that you they sprayed the track. we are having trouble with the grip on the parking lot and to fix that we were spraying soda to be exact we were spraying Coke in some parts of the track, and that fixed our problems with the grip for a moment, it's a pretty expensive way to do it. do any of you could help me out to figure out how to fix this, or with what do most of places spray their tracks?

would be great if you could help us
Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

the track that i race on uses VHT the same thing that the drag strip uses
http://www.bazellracefuels.com/VHT.htm this is a exa,ple of what the track uses
Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

In our parking lot races, the normal deal is 50 litres of water mixed with 10kg of sugar (the water has to be HOT during mixing) + 10 litres of Coke. This is enough to cover 3 meters of width on about 200m long track. Before that, the track is blown clean with leaf blowers.
To apply the mixture you could use a garden sprayer, but it's much easier with something like this:

the "custom" applicator consists of 35mm drain pieces (one T-piece, two 0.75m pipes and end caps) with 1.5mm holes drilled after every 2-3 cm, all this attached to a normal sprinkling can (or whatever you call this thing in english). Much easier, faster and more consistent than garden sprayer, covers 1.5 meters at a time.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

thanks, we coudn't get that VHT compound, seams pretty hard to find, but we did made that compound with water, sugar and coke, and worked pretty great, just the necesary amount of grip.

great advices thanx.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

A total conversion of parking place.

then

and ready for race with sugar on the track it gets kind of dark there where sugar has been applied

Old 08-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_04_traction.html

well try this stuff you can use this with a spayier and use it only on the inside of turnes god luck
Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by olev
In our parking lot races, the normal deal is 50 litres of water mixed with 10kg of sugar (the water has to be HOT during mixing) + 10 litres of Coke. This is enough to cover 3 meters of width on about 200m long track. Before that, the track is blown clean with leaf blowers.
To apply the mixture you could use a garden sprayer, but it's much easier with something like this:

the "custom" applicator consists of 35mm drain pieces (one T-piece, two 0.75m pipes and end caps) with 1.5mm holes drilled after every 2-3 cm, all this attached to a normal sprinkling can (or whatever you call this thing in english). Much easier, faster and more consistent than garden sprayer, covers 1.5 meters at a time.
This is basically what our local track does an most all tracks in South Africa.

Only we have a petrol pump that sprays the track with pressure through a pipe fitted with garden sprinkler tips that spray a fine mist for more even cover.
Key though is not to spray too much as teh track can also get glazed and slippery.
On our track we usually do 2/3 laps with the sugar machine

VHT is great for large events but not practical for club meets due to it being pricy
Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mc_chofo
Hi i'm from a small rc club in Puebla Mexico. i was reading the thead about that parking lot that G.L.A.R.C.RC turnned into an rc track, and i saw that you they sprayed the track. we are having trouble with the grip on the parking lot and to fix that we were spraying soda to be exact we were spraying Coke in some parts of the track, and that fixed our problems with the grip for a moment, it's a pretty expensive way to do it. do any of you could help me out to figure out how to fix this, or with what do most of places spray their tracks?

would be great if you could help us

Having lived in Mexico I understand that Coke isn't the cheapest option, so try using sugar water instead - same thing/benefit, and way cheaper.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

MMR Track grip.

water based, great grip and tire wear. helps the rubber lay down.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

our track puts it down for all events even club races and sometimes just to practice this is our track http://www.oneeighthracers.com/ check it out
Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

If you're going to have a lot of IGT & GT cars running on rubber, they'll have no problem getting traction with the right tires and they'll help start build up the groove.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

our parking place is not that big as yours, in fat is pretty narrow, it's about 53ft wide. about getting all those compounds specially made for the track grip, here in Mexico they are pretty hard to find, not to say expensive.

the only thing we run here are 1/10, some times some people bring their old 1/8 chassis, and this is because the size of the parking lot.

the thing about the water with sugar, is that not all time the people get agreed each other, so it's hard for a small club such as ours.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have better luck with grape soda. Its better than sugar water. It's also cheaper then coke. 67 cents for two liter bottle