R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Any tricks to removing a siezed carb?.. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/23844-any-tricks-removing-siezed-carb.html)

fastharry™ 09-04-2003 06:12 PM

Any tricks to removing a siezed carb?..

My RB,bless its PIA heart,has the carb stuck...I simply can only turn it about 2 mm...thats it...I tried heating it,no good...

Soaking it..nope..

I need to get it out of its bore..any ideas on how?...

also,how to prevent again?...

Thanks..

AMGRacer 09-04-2003 07:00 PM

You could tie a piece of string to it and to a door handle and slam the door................................

Nah just joking.

Whack it in the oven at 400, use oven mits, yank it out and twist away at it till it comes loose. Make sure the cinch bolt is not digging in to the carb sleeve.

fastharry™ 09-04-2003 07:08 PM

belive it or not,I just tested all of them(2 3 ports and a 5 port)...

Each one has a seized carb...as soon as yoiu twist it,it locks up...
'

all the cinch bolts are loose in their settings..

I tried heating the motors with a heat gun...how would the oven be differnt?...

And wouldn't that melt the orings in the carb?..

AMGRacer 09-04-2003 07:12 PM

Originally posted by fastharry
belive it or not,I just tested all of them(2 3 ports and a 5 port)...

Each one has a seized carb...as soon as yoiu twist it,it locks up...
'

all the cinch bolts are loose in their settings..

I tried heating the motors with a heat gun...how would the oven be differnt?...

And wouldn't that melt the orings in the carb?..

It has happened to a number of my RB motors too.

The oven gets it hella hot, probably more than the heat gun. I disassembled my carb as much as possible first. But yes the carb o rings in the case itself got hard and ruined. I had to replace them.

fastharry™ 09-04-2003 07:24 PM

has it happened to anybody you know with a Nova style engine also?.....

I wonder what causes it..maybe some anti sieze compound would help before we start them..

fastharry™ 09-04-2003 07:35 PM

well,its been in the oven now for 15 minutes..the carb doesn't move any more than before..

AMGRacer 09-04-2003 07:41 PM

Originally posted by fastharry
well,its been in the oven now for 15 minutes..the carb doesn't move any more than before..
Man that badboy is sure stuck in there. That trick worked for me.

You might have to go for more violent (and damaging) methods of extraction.

fastharry™ 09-04-2003 07:44 PM

hwta do you think causes it?....I mean..they all rotated 2 months ago..now,none of them do....

Ever seen it on other nova based engines?..

nitrodude 09-04-2003 07:45 PM

It happened to my friends RB the other day. I took it home, put it on the oven for 25 minutes at 350dgs, and out it came. I just had to put a little musle into it, but not much.

Thanks,

Steven Muller

nitrodude 09-04-2003 07:48 PM

I forgot to say, one thing I do when I take my carbs off the block is I sand or file the part that goes into the block. The capturing pin leaves marks on it, and IMO thats why it stucks in there

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP

AMGRacer 09-04-2003 07:50 PM

Originally posted by nitrodude
I forgot to say, one thing I do when I take my carbs off the block is I sand or file the part that goes into the block. The capturing pin leaves marks on it, and IMO thats why it stucks in there

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP

Yep if you cinch down too hard on the retaining bolt it scores the case and causes a "ridge" in the metal of the carb tongue. This makes them hard to get out. Get the 6mm HUDY driver and you can feel when the carb is tight but not too tight.

fastharry™ 09-04-2003 07:51 PM

I'll leave it in a bit longer,but this thing is stuck...I never overtighten the nut either..

Just one more reason I'm finally going to get rid of RB;s forever and run OS motors......

treky11 09-04-2003 08:25 PM

vice and a sledge. or they oxy-set torch should do:flaming:

Roger 09-04-2003 08:34 PM

That happened to me also, but I just man'ed it and got the sucker loose.

DanielSon 09-04-2003 10:00 PM

garbage