R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Should IFMAR/ROAR and Manufacturers increase Fuel Tank Capcicity (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/238401-should-ifmar-roar-manufacturers-increase-fuel-tank-capcicity.html)

implusepro 08-21-2008 05:17 PM

Should IFMAR/ROAR and Manufacturers increase Fuel Tank Capcicity

OK, here is a thought,

Many many years ago when 200mm was emerging, run-time was never an issue. 6-7mins on the "1st generation" engines was very easy, and you were able to setup your clutch/pipe/car for maximum performance.

More and more racers now espcially at the larger events are often spending the majority of their time trying to setup their car to make the 5min mark.

The new generation engines do not seem to be used to their maximum because people have to compenstate clutches, driving techniques, optimal pipe/manifold combos, etc, etc to make the 5 min mark.

I can only see .12 getting quicker and quicker, and I can only see the 5min mark becoming harder to achieve.

Why can't the governing bodies (IFMAR/ROAR etc) talk with the manufactuers and increase the fuel tank capcacity say another 5, 10, 15cc to allow these new generation motors make run-time?

We are now seeing "add-ons" like adjustable pressure chambers (as seen on a few cars at the Worlds) and other things (like Novarossi's new fuel cooler gizmo) all aimed at improving run time.

Is this a stupid idea?

NiTrO BoOsTeR 08-21-2008 05:59 PM

i got a .12 OS TG and i can about 10min run time and that is at race pace, i have a MTX4 and the standard fuel tank but its under 1hp so i guess when i get the Pro Tourer engine it may be a issue but im sure it will do the 5min Qual and the 10min with the pitstop as the rules state.

but that is only my experience

Mithcell

~McSmooth~ 08-21-2008 06:11 PM

If you make the fuel tanks bigger, the engine mfrs will still find a way to use up the extra fuel in under 5 minutes. Then we'll be right back where we are now.

implusepro 08-21-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~ (Post 4762178)
If you make the fuel tanks bigger, the engine mfrs will still find a way to use up the extra fuel in under 5 minutes. Then we'll be right back where we are now.

Yes true, but I cannot recall the 75cc tank ever been revised since the class was established.

I pulled apart an old Novarossi RS12 the other day, the sleeve, rod, porting looks so basic compared to today's engines

It seems like everything else on the car is changed to accomodate the extra HP of these engines (newer clutches, stiffer chassis's, 30mm tires, bigger brakes, stronger and more advanced gearboxes) etc.

How hard do you think it would be to hit 5mins in say 2 or 3 years from now at the rate engine advancements are going?

Some really rough calculations, but a 5cc increase would be close to 20-30sec increase in runtime, which is roughly the time gap people seem to be falling short.

Read the reports on the WC, most of the practise sessions (1 week) were people working on runtime.

JDCrow 08-21-2008 07:07 PM

Simple answer.........NO

All that will be accomplished is engines will get more expensive and increase power, but run time will continue to remain about the same.

Also, expanding the fuel capacity does absolutely nothing to correct the issues you pointed out about racers

"because people have to compenstate clutches, driving techniques, optimal pipe/manifold combos, etc, etc to make the 5 min mark."

wingracer 08-21-2008 07:07 PM

No! They are really too fast already. Bigger tank just means you can run faster and still have the same fuel issues.

Instead, use less fuel. Change the carb size and stinger size to a max of 5mm or even less.

ALG 08-21-2008 07:16 PM

NO!!!
pit stops plays an important part on the hobby too

Have fun
ALG

rc racing dude 08-21-2008 09:03 PM

no no no no:D

Scott Fisher 08-21-2008 09:35 PM

nope.

stefan 08-21-2008 10:51 PM

We are already getting to a point where the 30 mm tires are having a hard time coping with the power the current engines throw at them.

If we increase tank size, the power will go up even more, run time will quickly be an issue again and the tires are wearing even faster.

IMHO, we need wider tires, like the 40 mm rears or maybe 35 mm, BUT not with Lola bodies.

Arahawak 08-21-2008 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by stefan (Post 4763061)
We are already getting to a point where the 30 mm tires are having a hard time coping with the power the current engines throw at them.

If we increase tank size, the power will go up even more, run time will quickly be an issue again and the tires are wearing even faster.

IMHO, we need wider tires, like the 40 mm rears or maybe 35 mm, BUT not with Lola bodies.

Erm the Kawahara/Knack conversion to 220 GPR class .. :sneaky::sweat::sweat:

asw7576 08-22-2008 03:47 AM

90cc would be perfect for 6 minutes qualifying.

stefan 08-22-2008 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arahawak (Post 4763146)
Erm the Kawahara/Knack conversion to 220 GPR class .. :sneaky::sweat::sweat:

Yeah, but not with the Lola/GTP body.
Remember we are racing sedans.

There are 2 classes for the people who want / need shovel like down force:sneaky:

ruicortez 08-22-2008 04:15 AM

The answer is NO.

The best Hi-Tec target is to have more power with less fuel consumption.

It is also the best environmental solution.

razzor 08-22-2008 04:20 AM

Definately NO !!

The fuel tank spec is exactly that and the issue has been more the engine manufacturers taking full advantage to make as much power as possible at teh expense of consumption.

If anything seeing that engine development is ongoing they are and should be looking at making motors more efficient too.

The technical specs for 200mm cars has been fairly stable so why drop a spanner in the works when its only the engines that need some more controlling specs.