Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
INS BOX question! >

INS BOX question!

INS BOX question!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default INS BOX question!

Hello, I have a novarossi INS box.. does this decrease performance in anyway? I am the only one in my local club that uses one so im just wondering. evolva 2k5

my bad after posting this i saw a NEWLY " INS VS INS " thread up in engine forum..

but can anyone anwser my question?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes, it acts like about a .5mm smaller venturi but also improves mileage slightly.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yes, it acts like about a .5mm smaller venturi but also improves mileage slightly.

i agree..............
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default where to buy?

these seem to be somewhat hard to find...or I'm not looking in the right places...

Who stocks INS boxes?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

I do
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

is Novarossi the only one out there, are are there choices? Any difference??
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
is Novarossi the only one out there, are are there choices? Any difference??
There is one made by Serpent under Mega brand color Black, RB also have one basically the same also black in color, JP also have one and same black in color, only Nova Rossi's INS box is colored Blue.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Lord

The RB is an Picco box, it is smaller in diameter than the Serpent and has larger holes to let the air through. Imo it works better.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
these seem to be somewhat hard to find...or I'm not looking in the right places...

Who stocks INS boxes?
Try Ashford Hobby, or Winners Circle. Robert and Lee are two of the good guys in nitro onroad hobby shops.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Since we must run them at some locations, I suppose it's something we should all have in our arsenal. But, I can't tell any difference in sound levels with or without (I guess there is a measureable difference, it's just not significant IMO). One thing lost is the abillity to easily kill the engine by stuffing the airfilter down. Not too many run-aways these days, but it still happens.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duneland
Since we must run them at some locations, I suppose it's something we should all have in our arsenal. But, I can't tell any difference in sound levels with or without (I guess there is a measureable difference, it's just not significant IMO). One thing lost is the abillity to easily kill the engine by stuffing the airfilter down. Not too many run-aways these days, but it still happens.
just stick your fingers over the holes to block air flow I was able to do that on a run away this past weekend
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what's the difference in the INS box & the mugen version
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
what's the difference in the INS box & the mugen version
The Mugen Box was designed to allow usage on .12 engines. It sits Off Center from the Carb air inlet since there is limited space between the Carburator and the Heatsink.

PS. Although designed that way, it may still be used for .21 engines. Ive seen international pro dirvers use them in their 1:8th.

Last edited by Ron C.; 08-21-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duneland
I only notice a difference when it gets knocked off. Then you can tell it gets slightly louder.

Originally Posted by motojon
just stick your fingers over the holes to block air flow I was able to do that on a run away this past weekend
The Serpent one seems to be able to still draw some air in unless it's taped together around the side. I saw someone do that and the motor kept running, though the RPM's came down enough to make it manageable until someone stuck a rag over the exhaust and finally killed it.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Hands down the MUGEN box flows the most air has the least effect on torque curve and a minimal effect on fuel consumption. The J.P. RACING/serpent box seams to be the most restrictive, highest increase in fuel economy, and the best at smoothing the savage beast you have bolted in your chassis. The BLUE NOVA ROSSI is in between the two.
I have no experience with the R.B. box, so no comment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.