Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IS the MTX3 any good??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by chorner
And you're right, and I agree with you .. I also don't buy a kit based on how good the manual is, thats just ridiculous; who does that?
you bet!! try think harder...what about those Snakers..??
Old 09-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Exactly.

Exactly.

We run a V-One RR Evo and the Mugen's are very competative.
My driver has driven one and loved it but I've never maintained one.
That would have to qualify as unbiased, at least.

Harry,

On the carb . . . I reckon, take the engine apart and get the crankcase in a wooden jawed vice - carefully. You may as well take it apart now as you really can't be sure there isn't metal fragments inside the engine already.

Inject some engine oil or something into the carb holder from inside the engine - it might not get past the O-ring from the outside. With one hand, start twisting back and forth gently (but pulling firmly) while keeping the bolt loose with the other - you don't want to build up any more of a ridge inside the holder. I reckon it will come out eventually after you've worn the ridge down enough. Good luck with it.

. . . and get some practice tuning those RB's - life is too short - you need to get out of your OS comfort zone.

hey..thanks to you and chorner for those good bits of wisdom...

I actually went to sleep last night(in a highly agitated state)...

and went next door to my LHS when I got to work.....and thats what we came up with also..and it worked........

I reasembled the engine,after carefully sanding the carb neck,cleaning out the whole engine,adding a little anti sieze to the carb neck, and popped in the the r 40 tonite...I'll see if the thing still runs tommorrow...

but ,.I have to tell you...that is the most assinine way to hold a carb in that I've ever seen....ESPECIALLY allowing a metal to metal seal that can warp,get gouged,etc...

I emailed Rody roem.....he admitted thats a problem with teh RB 12's....
Old 09-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry

<SNIP>

but ,.I have to tell you...that is the most assinine way to hold a carb in that I've ever seen....ESPECIALLY allowing a metal to metal seal that can warp,get gouged,etc...

I emailed Rody roem.....he admitted thats a problem with teh RB 12's....
Glad it worked fastharry.
Today, one of the jobs I needed to do was to crank the Rody carb around a bit to line up properly with the throttle linkage. After reading all the "stuck carb" horror stories here, I figured I was likely in for the same thing. To add some balance to those horror stories, I'm obliged to say that it came out easy - no burs.

Oh yeah, and those nice words I said about the MTX-3 are still true, but to add some balance to that one . . . our Evo whoooooped their ass today.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Glad it worked fastharry.
Today, one of the jobs I needed to do was to crank the Rody carb around a bit to line up properly with the throttle linkage. After reading all the "stuck carb" horror stories here, I figured I was likely in for the same thing. To add some balance to those horror stories, I'm obliged to say that it came out easy - no burs.

Oh yeah, and those nice words I said about the MTX-3 are still true, but to add some balance to that one . . . our Evo whoooooped their ass today.

yep..alot of cars are good..

I got to try my r40 in my back lot today at work..its big enough to get a good idea how a car turns......

I was really impressed with how smooth the car rolled through the corners.....had that same"connected to the road" feeling my tc3's have..but felt even quicker ,with no "push" feeling....

I'll know more when I race tues,but I think HPI has added another car for us to choose from....
Old 09-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

hey Fastharry;

i've been eyeing the R40 for next yr. How is it from a construction standpoint?

Solid like a Serpent or Mugen? Any excess play anywhere?

Nothing like the feeling of being planted to the ground like an NTC3
Old 09-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

hey Chorner..

lets move over to the r40 thread....no sense riling up the guys....
Old 09-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

haha, yeah .. you're right

I just tend to treat most threads as one big run-on conversation and sometimes forget the title of the thread and get caught up just chatting
Old 09-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by chorner
haha, yeah .. you're right

I just tend to treat most threads as one big run-on conversation and sometimes forget the title of the thread and get caught up just chatting

yep..see ya there...