Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
INFERNO GT RACING @ SV SPEEDWAY AUG. 2 >

INFERNO GT RACING @ SV SPEEDWAY AUG. 2

INFERNO GT RACING @ SV SPEEDWAY AUG. 2

Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking IGT RACING @ SV SPEEDWAY CHECK IT OUT !!!

SORRY TRACK IS CLOSING !!!!

Last edited by dbr9ifgt; 08-20-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Yup yup! We had 2 IGT's join our last club race. Keep em coming people!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

double post...my bad
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

I will be getting the new Corvette body Inferno when it arrives next month. Of course this is what Serpent says today. It is always later than that!!! lol But it was to cool to pass up.

Just for added note, I have brought into the States the GQ Foam Racing Tires for the Inferno GT's with the spoked rims. These should make racing a bit more fun! Your dealers can get for you or Raceday Hobbies, 301 Speedway, Trackside Hobbies, Mico Racing, Franciscan Hobbies and many more!

I will get Brad Toffelmire and myself out there soon to come race with you guys. It is a bit of a haul from Phoenix but it is fun when we arrive! See ya soon with my new Corvette Inferno GT!!!!! WoooHooo!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

would that be the new IGT2?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm going to try very hard to have my IGT ready for the next meet.

I ordered some Ofna slicks yesterday to try out. I'll probably have them next week. I'm still not sure what foams are good for these GT cars. Anybody with experience using foams on 1/8 scale GT cars please chime in.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Try Ofna blue foams in the front and green in the rear.
The blue is hard. The green is medium. The yellow is soft.
I don't know the shore. The foams work very well.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by danketchpel
I'm going to try very hard to have my IGT ready for the next meet.

I ordered some Ofna slicks yesterday to try out. I'll probably have them next week. I'm still not sure what foams are good for these GT cars. Anybody with experience using foams on 1/8 scale GT cars please chime in.
The foams will deffinately put the car on a different level. You are at an extreme disadvantage if you are running rubber tires against a field of cars equipped with foams.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by duneland
The foams will deffinately put the car on a different level. You are at an extreme disadvantage if you are running rubber tires against a field of cars equipped with foams.
It depends on the foams. dbr9igt was testing his car out there and tried foams (don't know which ones) and rubber and the rubbers hooked up much better.

I need to see what rules they are going to use. I see that most of the GT class rules (that I could find) are outlawing foams, tires must be rubber based.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

If you are running on a prepped track that sees 1/8 circuit and 1/10 tc racing, then the foams will be far superior. The car will handle very differently though. Just switching to foam without optimising set-up, may not yield ultimate performance.
When forming the class, many were very adamant about keeping foam tires out. It is seen as a more expensive route. I am not convinced this is true, but I am OK with the rubber tire only rule. With the right insert/tire combo, you can get many race days on a set, and grip is good enough for the power levels. Even though higher performance levels are possible with the foam tires, the GT will not be close to the performance level of a 1/8 circuit car or a 1/10 TC. So why try? I say, keep it simple and as cheap as possible.
The rules you found are Kyosho only rules. Don't see a need for outlawing the other brands. They also try to break it up into 3 different classes. I don't think there are enough participants to warrant that many classes.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

When forming the class, many were very adamant about keeping foam tires out. It is seen as a more expensive route. I am not convinced this is true, but I am OK with the rubber tire only rule. With the right insert/tire combo, you can get many race days on a set, and grip is good enough for the power levels. Even though higher performance levels are possible with the foam tires, the GT will not be close to the performance level of a 1/8 circuit car or a 1/10 TC. So why try? I say, keep it simple and as cheap as possible.
Ron,

I can see foams getting very expensive. Dune, how many 55 gallon drums (trash cans) full of foams do you see or have you seen after a weekend of racing?

Now picture this..... guy shows up for a race like this past GLC right?

He's got a GT car, a tire truer and deep pockets, a 50% deal or a friend in the tire biz, OK? Then this guy "trues" is tires down to a pre-determined size to last each qualifier. Every qualifier he's got a new set of foams to use. So at the GLC you ran how many qualifiers, 5 right?

Then here comes "Jonny Privateer" one set of foams and he thinks he can run with "Mr. I got a friend in the tire biz". "Mr. Privateer" get blown away because he's running an "untrued" foam tire that's like what 95mm tall. His car is "herky-jerky" all over the track.

So as far as cost.... how can 1 or even 2 sets of rubber tires for a race weekend ever cost more than a hand full of foams and yea..... a new tire truer too?

Think about that next time you see a trash can full of the day's foams.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Even though higher performance levels are possible with the foam tires, the GT will not be close to the performance level of a 1/8 circuit car or a 1/10 TC. So why try? I say, keep it simple and as cheap as possible.
I'm good with that. If the rubber tires will last I'm good with that. I like the way my IGT drives with the Ofna treaded rubber tires. I just ordered a set of Ofna slicks to see how they work. I may also get a set of Kyosho slicks to try out. I really don't want to be burning up $50 in tires per weekend if possible. I don't know if the twister rubbers last longer or not.

The rules you found are Kyosho only rules. Don't see a need for outlawing the other brands. They also try to break it up into 3 different classes. I don't think there are enough participants to warrant that many classes.
I completely agree, I WANT to see different brands of GT cars out there. I personally dislike single brand racing of any sort.

If it's anything like the last time, the only class there will be "run whatcha brung" so no issues there for now.

I reality I think 2 classes would suffice, stock & mod. The only thing I'd like to see is maybe a price limit (~$300?) on engines or something. It's no fun if somebody shows up with a $500 Italian thoroughbred and everybody else is hanging with $150-200 .28 buggy motors.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was using the 40-45 shore foams by ofna that day I was told it would be better with the hot weather but just couldnt get it to hook up. I ended up using the rubber ofna tires that worked perfect until the tire ripped off the rim and yes the track was preped but foams where all over the place if you guy's have any good advise for an amateur thats still learning pls feel free to let me know what I should do or try thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

check this out http://www.rcprosites.com/site/op/co...contentid/1306 RULES FOR GT SPEC RACING & GT OPEN CLASS

Last edited by dbr9ifgt; 08-06-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Jspeed,
I have little argument with your rational, I based my statement, to a large degree, on past experience with touring cars. There was a similar debate about racing cost with rubber vs foam. At that time, it was far cheaper for me to run foams. What with the insert of the week, new tires comming out constantly that outperformed the ones we used last week, some of these rubber slicks were only good for 2 runs. Combining the cost of tires/inserts/rims, and having them outperformed by the new flavor of the week... Well, it was far more expensive, at the time, to run rubber. I would take foams right from the package to the car. Rotate them every run, no trueing. Use them till they were too small. Others were trueing down to 'optimum' size, and they were behind me. I wouldn't do that unless it were a major event. Even then, I do not (if possible) true new foams down to almost nothing. I reach in my box and get some that have been run down a bit and even them out on the truer. If one is a bit more conservetive, you can get a lot of runs on foams. Some tracks are better with large tires some with small.
Anyhow, it looks like the rubber tires we have now for the GT cars, will provide more track time than even the most conservetive approach to foam tire use. I haven't proven that though... but I suspect it is true.
As far as the GLC goes, yes, there were 5 quals. I was only there for Sat and Sunday. I got maybe 2 1/2 quals + 13:05 min's of the main. Toledo track has low wear and I am sure I could have run the whole thing on 1 set of foams, with life left in them. The OFNA radials I ran from the 2nd qual on (my 2nd qual, 4th for the others), show no signs of wear at all. The only thing that keeps me from proclaiming that the rubber tires are cheaper to run, is the fact that I have not tested the theory.
As far as trash cans full of foams go... I salvaged some from the trash after the Byrons challenge. The Mugen guys pitched some perfectly good 1/8 scale tires. I just switched my Serpent to OS2 so I needed new tires... They were almost full size! I think it was a matter of not wanting to fly back with stuff they could replace for free. Would have been nice if they just left them on the table though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.