Wiki Posts
Search

mt12 turbo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
If you're sure that during the day time (hot weather) the engine is running rich, then the engine *should* not have any problems in the night. It will relatively run a little leaner. How lean will your engine will be or can you run it with no problems? Best is to listen to the engine and still check the temp from time to time.

You're into night driving now?
yes, now in PISA a lot of people play during night. RM10 per month
Old 10-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default mt-12

hey does anyone know all the factory carb settings for the mt-12 3 port non turbo engine im buggered tuning so i may aswall start from scratch
Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: mt-12

Originally posted by adds16
hey does anyone know all the factory carb settings for the mt-12 3 port non turbo engine im buggered tuning so i may aswall start from scratch
Thanks
I turn this engine start from very rich needler. HSN first, second LSN and than IDN..
Old 10-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tuning

tkhoo what do you mean by what you just said when i run the car there is plenty of smoke and when i tri lean it out it doesnt get much better also the settings im on when i run sometimes i kinda cut out for a second then goes again
Any ideas???
Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: tuning

tkhoo what do you mean by what you just said when i run the car there is plenty of smoke and when i tri lean it out it doesnt get much better also the settings im on when i run sometimes i kinda cut out for a second then goes again
Any ideas???
Thanks
Seems like your top end needle is too lean, the engine is asking for fuel, also you might have a leak around your carb area.

Basic needle setting for non turbo MT12 is:

3 turns out on your bottom needle
5 turns out on your top end needle
and the brass needle should be flushed with the carb body.

Hope that would help
Old 10-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: tuning

Any ideas???
Thanks
Ok, you mean cut out and go is because your LSN are set in rich side. Try to lean the LSN 1/8 and make sure you check the temp every time you lean the needler. After lean the LSN go for few lap and bring back your car and wait for around 10 second and go for full throttle and see the accerelation. It will accerelate without hasitate. Once you feel good and rich it for 1/12 turn to make sure your engine are in safe side.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default needles

ok not really fimiliar with the LSN but if i lean it out do i turn it the same was as the HSN?? clockwise becomes leaner and anticlockwise becomes richer that is for the HSN is it the same for the LSN??
Old 10-15-2003, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: needles

ok not really fimiliar with the LSN but if i lean it out do i turn it the same was as the HSN?? clockwise becomes leaner and anticlockwise becomes richer that is for the HSN is it the same for the LSN??

Yes, clockwise is leaner for all the needler.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

I remember my first engine, a 5 port NovaRossi. I was so impatient and did not understand tuning that my car was usualy running at 150 degrees cel. Also, it would not idle ... after a few months the engine was loosing compression ... so now with a new lease of life (fresh sleeve, piston and conrod) I am able to run it beautifully ...

What I learnt was that you have to be patient ... tune a little and then run quite a bit to let it settle in.

Here is a great link for tuning ... nothing heavy but easily digested: http://www.donegal.flyer.co.uk/engine%20tuning.htm