Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Nitro Cleaner?

Please advise me on a good nitro cleaner that can be purchased at a hardware store. I'm looking for something similiar to the nitro cleaners/spray cans that are sold in the hobby shops.

I bought the Simple Green spray yesterday but it was not as good as the Nitro Force spray I got from the hobby shop.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by poochy
Please advise me on a good nitro cleaner that can be purchased at a hardware store. I'm looking for something similiar to the nitro cleaners/spray cans that are sold in the hobby shops.

I bought the Simple Green spray yesterday but it was not as good as the Nitro Force spray I got from the hobby shop.

Thanks.
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner, you can get at any auto parts store.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

I use Methyl Hydrate/Gas line anti freeze.It's available in the paint dept in 1 gallon size for about 7 bucks and is way better for you than brake cleaner that stuff will give you three headed babies.
Methyl hydrate is wood alchohol.
BTW it takes faskolor off of bodies so don't use it inside the body.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Do you spray Methyl Hydrate/Gas line anti freeze or apply it to a piece of cloth when you clean your car?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know that sometimes the cars get very dirty, but anytime you spray something, air or a cleaner, it gets into other places that don't normaly get dirty, like bearings, hinge pin joints, ect. I've gotten used to doing a tear down of the car after every race and inspect every part. It does take some time, but it pays off with less failed parts like CVD's and bearings. But the answer to your question, I use denatured alcohol in a pinch if the car is realy dirty before a teardown.
Good luck
Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks.
The best thing to do is get the Serpent Cleaning Gum. You can keep the car clean while your at the track because it gets between all the cracks and crevices. I use it all the time then when I get home I do a quick spray with de-natured alcohol and do a final cleaning with my air compressor. My buddies swear I take my car apart every week but it just looks that way because of the above process.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've used NitroForce and NitroClean extensively to clean my cars - and they do come out showroom clean, but as has been stated, the cleaner gets into places you don't want it - especially the bearings. If you don't relube your bearings after you've used the cleaner, it will eventually lead to premature bearing failure. I've had bearings get gritty or even seize on me at the most unopportune times - like in the middle of a race.

It's okay to use it, just be sure to relubricate everything.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My cleaning putty/gum is getting very old, anybody know anyplace that has it in stock?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.co...cts.php?cat=14
Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
My cleaning putty/gum is getting very old, anybody know anyplace that has it in stock?
I know you can get it from Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies or go to RC Mushroom.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Waayyyyy faster shiping from Kamikaze.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Do you spray Methyl Hydrate/Gas line anti freeze or apply it to a piece of cloth when you clean your car?
I put in a spray bottle & also use a rag, but be carefull not to get bearings wet ,oil them again if you have any doubt.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

In a pinch, I use denatured alcohol mixed with Simple Green. But if I have the time; I just tear the car down and get busy with the serpent cleaning putty.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

Just be careful with the sprays you get in supply stores, cause some of them might damage your lexan body. The best brake cleaner me and my buddies have found is the one from Valvoline.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

there is an Advance Auto opening next week about 5/8 of a mile from my house. I will be in frequently and will try some stuff. Looking for electric motor spray that is not as expensive as hobby labeled stuff too. I have been using denatured alcohol for a long time with my nitros