Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Strictlly racing???? >

Strictlly racing????

Strictlly racing????

Old 09-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Strictlly racing????

I know this topic has been covered over and over and how this is better than that... But, for strictly racing, what would everyone get if they were to buy a new car tomorrow...

Would you go shaft or belt drive???

Parts availability is always an issue which tends to favor the bigger companies...

What engine would be in this car, why???

Would you add hop ups right from the start???

Pull start? Bump start? Roto start or a modified Traxxas starter?

I'm currently running a Nitro 4-tec... Although it may not be top of the line or the fastest and best handling out there, the car has been very good to me... Problem here is there is so little interest is racing nitro on road, we have maybe 8 races a year.... Is it really cost effective to dump 1k into a car that you'll use 8 times???
Old 09-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Old 09-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default Strictlly racing????

vtl1180ny;

I find it very hard to believe that there is actually only 8 races a year in your area (NY?) With a little more searching, I'm sure you could find a club race going on just about every weekend that is less than 1 hours drive.

As for switching from the 4-Tec. They can be made to handle pretty decent, just takes a little more work.
With the right Tires and suspension settings, you should be able to hold your own in all but the toughest classes.

Hold on to the 4-Tec until the Car itself becomes the limiting factor and not your driving ability (if that be the case).

Last edited by popsracer; 09-16-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

vtl,

If that were the case, then I'd say yeah, 1K is a lot to spend on a car that you only run 8 times a year.

Like pops said, however, I would look to see if there's another club or location that you can race more often... you never know what you'll find.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

We may have more next year... Racing used to be very big around here, I was racing off road in the 80's till about 92 when every track closed up...

I'm not saying that either my nitro 4-tes nor my driving skills are the limiting factor, though I know my skills are better than the car. But you can only go so fast anyway...

I'm wondering what everyone's idea of their perfect racer is... I've been contemplating building up a pretty much scratch built car for next season...
Old 09-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Tech Rookie

I am very interested in this question as well. If some of the 'seasoned racers' could list out their 'dream setup' and why they chose them, i think that would be very beneficial to everyone else on here without as much experience.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

You'll see my idea of the perfect car soon enough. But for me Belts are the only way to go with Pro Racing in mind. Shaft has its advantages but I believe Belts have more advantages again when power and torque are brought into the equation.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Well first off, it really isn't necessary to dump 1K into one car to make it race ready. I would say $500 is alittle closer. Maybe $700 if you have to buy a starter box and radio gear ( which answers one of your questions, bump start is best ).

As with any car, tires will determine how well a car will handle. It has been said many times that with the right set of tires, any car can go fast and handle like a dream. If you're not running them now, foam tires is the only way to go.

If you're looking to get a new car that's fast right out the box, check out the R40 from HPI. If you read thru the R40 thread you will see several people saying it is good in its' stock form. I have one and I agree. And as of right now, I have no plans to add hop-ups. I don't see any need for it.

As for the engine, that's a tough question. I prefer Nova-Rossi based engines. They are easy to tune and run forever. Right now I have a Sirio .12 in my car. That sucker is fast but very sensitive to carb adjustments. I would not recommend it to any new comers. Stick with a Nova-Rossi engine and you'll be happy.

Good Luck...
Old 09-16-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Strictlly racing????

[QUOTE]Originally posted by popsracer
[B]vtl1180ny;

I find it very hard to believe that there is actually only 8 races a year in your area

Well I feel your pain, we have more than 8 on road races a year but the turn out has been very poor this year. If I head north on the 5 to the seattle area they have some good turn outs, but down in my parts every body rather drive off road and even that has not been up to what has been, it might have some thing to do with that we have the highest job less rate in the good old usa at the time who knows, maybe we need to look at home alittle more and not worry about saving the world. that last statement most likely get on somebodys bad side.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

For motorvation you'd be mad to go past either a RODY V12 or a JP NS12. The other question is if u want a legal motor or not cause u could go 5 port. But i don't think it's worth it.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Initiate

8's better than none :P

Gotta head to melbourne or Bendigo to race
Too far with work commitments to spare the time yet, but spending 1k (2k aussie) on a car :0 Id make the time.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

I'm no newbie by any means... Besides cars, I have 2 Heli's and an airplane... I've been racing on and off for over 15 years and been into RC's since I was a kid in the 70's...

As for foams, I have every shore in 26 to 30mm, plus assorted rubbers... I even true my own...

Yes, you can easily spend close to 1k...

This is mainly curiousity of what guys who get to race nitro a lot more would put into a car...
Old 09-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

If your talking initial layout for a car to start racing then $1000 wouldnt look at it here. Thats about £800. My Radio Set cost me half that alone. And the car and engine cost me another £300. Then you need good servos, batteries, starter box, tuned pipe, enough tires to practise and break in engine etc before even starting to race. A couple of spare bodyshells, paint and masks etc. Lots of spare parts for those little mishaps, big tools like tire truers, set up stations and what not and usually you will need some other silly tools specific to each car.

In all if you add it up there I am well over $2000 before I open the boxes
Old 09-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

yeah it is easy to spend $1000

look at these cars:
v one rr evolution
the new serpent(not out yet)
and the MTX-3

and for engines, nothing seems to beat the NS12 at my track

but i would look at some good servos be for i even touch motors

cuz u can always go with the good o'l MT-12
Old 09-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
...As for foams, I have every shore in 26 to 30mm....

Ack!

$$$$$ cha-ching! $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.