Wiki Posts
Search

2008 IFMAR 1/10 200mm On-Road World Championships: Aug 7-17

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thor
Not gonna happen...Barry will never give up...I know he was Chris's team mate with Yokomo...remember he is with a new car and there is a adjustment peroid...the pressure of a world's event will also make one try too hard at times...I think he wil do well as the pressure is off and he can just be Barry...
just my opinion
I hope you are right.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Good Luck to all the USA drivers in your finals - take it to the A!!
Burch, Cyrul, Lemieux and Baker (with alot of work and a little luck-lol) are also more than deserving and capable of taking the title.

Last edited by slewis; 08-14-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Everyone,

Well, qualifying is finished and the grid is set.... It was an ok yet dissapointing day today.

Ralph had an engine let go in the morning run and then had another mechanical problem in the afternoon run that didn't allow him to improve. Paul had tried to run a little too lean in the morning and burnt a plug but had a good run in the afternoon that allowed him to move up a little in the standings. Barry had another terrible day with tuning issues and crashes. He has a great car but is definatly trying much too hard. Yes, we have the wake-up call set and will be at the track by 8:30am so he can prepare his car and I will help with the pit work for tommorow. 6 races, 20 minutes each is the goal for tommorow. One race at a time!!

For myself, the morning round was dissapointing. I was driving very easy to save fuel and had a battery bar break before the first pit stop. Super frustrating being that I totalled up the lap times and when it broke I was around 1 second behind Jilles on his TQ run. In the second round, I was again at the top of the chart bouncing from 1st-3rd with Tosso and Jilles for the heat lead when I made my pitstop and was hit in the rear from a full punch pit lap entry from an already lapped Fukuda. I recovered but had to again pass Peter J. and try to break free from the pack I was stuck in. At that time, I started to recieve heckling from the Sirio mechanics below to let Tironi past. He was over 30-40ft behind!!! It was really a joke and terrible sportsmanship. For 6+ laps they screamed at me and I started to make mistakes as my concentration was broken, finally he was close enough and I allowed the pass. In this, I also had to let Shimo past who was very close behind. Shimo then got very sideways in the next corner causing me to hit him and then get pilled into by the other drivers. In the end, I lost enough time that I would have probably been 4-6th qualifier... At least I know I have a good enough car to race my way from the 1/4 final into the main event.

I am super dissapointed that the officials did nothing to stop the heckling from the pit lane and did nothing to punish them for this poor sportsmanship by the Sirio mechanics. Tironi and I were communicating on the stand as we were right next to each other and we were professional and fine with each others actions.

Also, I noticed that it was not reported yet but there was a formal protest filed by Novarossi in reguards to Sirio's exaust pipe. The pipe that is being run/sold by Sirio does not meet the specs at all from the pipe that was origionally homoligated. There have been several very heated meetings in reguards to this matter and IFMAR has not really given any sort of answer if any action will be taken at this event. The main concern is the stinger is much shorter, with a different angel as well it has a 5mm stinger hole but once it goes into the stinger about 2mm it is then conical opening up to at least 6-6.5mm(guessing from just looking - it needs to be cut open to know exactly) unlike the origional homologated pipe.... Sirio says it sent in the pipe and the drawings but no record of that is found anywhere to the "running change".... This is the same pipe that has been used since the IFMAR WC in Brisbane but no one has checked or questioned the difference in the pipes until Novarossi staff examined a pipe today and found so many discrepancys. Hopefully, IFMAR will make a ruling in the morning that will be fair and not leave a black eye on the event.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by quozl
Actually if it is anything like it was in Brisbane, and from those I've spoken to over there it is, everyone ran the control fuel during practise. Competitors have to purchase the fuel for practise from the organisers or local distributor. For the heats and finals it is supplied to you by the organiser. It would be pointless for drivers to run special blends in practise as you need to tune the motor to the fuel you will be using for racing.

The issue they are having is that they suspect the control fuel that people purchased from the organisers for practise was from a different batch to that the organisers are handing out for the quals hence the tuning issues. In Brisbane in 2006 we made sure that all the fuel for practise that drivers purchased and the quals & finals that we handed out was from the exact same batch from the supplier (Runnertime at Brisbane's Worlds in 06 ) so that there would be no issues once the drivers had tuned their engines to the fuel.

Cheers Al
I stand corrected
Old 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah TOSO!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, tires have been a big distraction and problem.

Ralph and Paul have been using Xray tires. Barry is using GRP. I tried Xray and GRP but Xray was concerned with having enough to support 3 extra drivers through the entire event so I used GRP. For the first day of qualifying, the Novarossi staff arrived and at the end of the day asked me not to use GRP as it was a conflict of interest with the GRP making an engine. For the second day, I switched to ATS per their request and my car had a super bad understeer problem. After speaking with Mr. Hudy, I again switched today to Xray tires and finally had a good day and found the pace with a few set-up changes.

This really sucks for Jack, Jaco as well as all of us who race for Jaco. Our hard work on the Prism tires has all been for nothing at this WC. Finally, a box arrived today and we are going to try and get someone to test some tires in a lower final for us. If they work like I think they will I may again make a tire change for the finals.... Yes, if we have our tires from the start... The results for us I am sure would be better, no doubt about it.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Last edited by bvoltz; 08-14-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Last edited by bvoltz; 08-14-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've only been to one worlds. The 1/8th worlds in Cinci. I loved it. None of this crap was going on. I understand the need for the fuel rule but it should be handled better. Tires not showing up I can't really blame IFMAR or the track for but still sux. But allowing bad sportsmanship to go on is unacceptable. Many a black flag was given out at Cinci if anyone got out of line and thanks to that, very few ever did.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

We have only heard one side of this, which is rarely representative of the truth. I migh add that, this is far from the first time teammates have called for room to pass when someone is overtaking - hardly what I'd call heckling. Sack up and just race your race.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rcg33k
We have only heard one side of this, which is rarely representative of the truth. I migh add that, this is far from the first time teammates have called for room to pass when someone is overtaking - hardly what I'd call heckling. Sack up and just race your race.
True, we have only heard one side but if what Josh says is accurate that it was the pit men doing it then that's out of line IMO. Also, I don't think they are team mates anymore.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Are you kidding me?! I was at Worlds in Cinci and Bertin's pit man was an absolute A-hole, yelling at everyone in pit lane as though it was made for him and everyone else was just in his way. There was also plenty of similar "chatter" in pit lane - this is nothing new.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Lord

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall hearing about that. Fortunately I wasn't in his heat.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Fair enough. It's not something worth dwelling on any further, I just happen to think there's a little blamestorming going on here. Having said that, I was referring to Tironi's teammates asking Josh for room to pass. I was fairly certain they're not on the same team anymore. Anyway, it looks like it's shaping up to be a good final. I wish LiveRC were there.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Lord

True but surely you can understand when things get piled on like that. He knows he has a good car and can drive but fuel problems, no tires, traffic problems and then this thing with the pit men comes around. Not hard to feel like the world is against you at that point. Hopefully he can race his way in.

Then again, I'm pulling for Toso

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.