Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 IFMAR 1/10 200mm On-Road World Championships: Aug 7-17

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

This is far beyond ridiculous.

If Paul or Toso would have won, it would be all cheers and praise, best driver, best engine, best tires, best strategy, best paint job, best health system, best education, highest defense budget, mitlitary supremacy, etc....

Sour grapes!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

We got an album with a bunch of pics from Portugal on our website:

http://web138.sydney.webhoster.ag/im...ugal_2008.html

http://www.scuderia-fun-and-drive.com
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can i share a story with u guys

to start with, this happen a long long time ago. there was the father, the son and a donkey. one day they wanted to go to a place. on their journey they have to pass through a couple villages. when they reach the first village the villagers told them why aren't u riding the donkey? it would be much faster. so they followed the suggestion and take a ride on the donkey. when they reach the 2nd village , the villagers ask them why do both of u ride on the donkey, it's a small and won't be able to take both of you. so they decided that only one person should ride the donkey. the son get on the donkey and the father walk while pulling the donkey. then they reach the next village. the villagers then said to the son..why r u riding and not your father? u r young and strong yet your father is weak and old. u should let your father ride. well they change with the father riding and the son pulling the donkey this time. when they reach the next village , this time the villagers said , u should let your son ride, he is still a kid and should give his son to ride. when they were outside of the village the discussed..what would be best, it seems everything we do is being comment. so they decided to carry donkey together. when they reach the next village, the villagers ask them .. are both of you crazy donkeys r meant to be ride not carried....
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It seems like all this people cant handle the fact that a $200 motor beat their beloved $400+ motors. So they go and sh!it all over someones deserved succes.

I guess when people realise that they're being take for idiots they lash out at others instead of looking at themselves. If we all bought and raced Piccos maybe all the other manufacturers would bring the price down to realistic levels.

Daniel Ielasi/Picco/Kyosho world champions. Dont know if kyosho can claim it since DI is not sponsored, though.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitrodude
It seems like all this people cant handle the fact that a $200 motor beat their beloved $400+ motors.
No that is not true, if Picco was the fastest they realy deserve it but they were not. I am realistic about it, this win is not convincing me to get a Picco....
Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Wow... I come home and recoop a little to see how out of control this thread has become....

The newly crowned WC ran a perfect and very smart final. No problems, no mistakes and drove quick when he needed to.

Was he down on power?? Maybe a little on the straight but you could easily hear that the gearing was set more to have very strong pull through the infield rather than super high top end on the straight. The end of the straight was quite bumpy so you had to back off anyway so I don't think having a lot of top end was a benifit. I changed gearing which gave me really good top end but it was to help with shifting point and fuel milage, not for top speed. I heard some of the OS guys were super happy with their top end but complained about not enough bottom end power. Power (top/bottom) and fuel milage are always a balance. Look at defending WC Fukuda. He was looking great at the end of practice but fuel milage ultimatley cost him a good qualifying postition and a chance to defend his title.

Also, you have to think of these finals as a balancing act. Ielasi ran 1 hour with 5 minute pit stops and as you could see from the pictures still had good tires left at the end. Put in an engine that makes you run 4:30-4:45 and the tire wear goes up (as the case for Tosso and Hudy) and you have the chance to run quicker but run the risk of wearing extra tires. Not to mention that for a 4:45 pit you have to make 1 extra stop (4-5 seconds) and for a 4:30 pit you have to make 2 extra stops (8-10 seconds).

When talking with Paul before the race he wasn't sure if his car was good enough on tire wear to run the entire hour. Also, our concern with the increasing traction level and bumps in the sweeper were something to look at as several top runner's final was either hurt or finished by traction/bump rolls in the sweeper on the big tires. The idea was to run smaller tires, do the change and force the others to run a disiplined race and not try to chase the rabbit out there. Several drivers did drop out trying to chase the rabbit and the plan was working perfectly as Paul needed a 1 1/2-2 lap cushion going into the tire change which he did perfectly. Unfortunetly, the engine cut and we couldn't get it to fire fast enough. We had no problems re-starting it all week as Paul was using a plastic carburator so having that problem didn't even cross my mind.

In the end, there are so many ways to run a 1 hour final and have a shot at winning. In Messina at the 1/8 WC, Collari did 1 tire change at 30 minutes and Ielasi did 2 tire changes (at 20 and 40 minutes) and had Collari beat but a final pit crash in the pit lane cost him the WC.... Any plan, if executed correctly can win but each has risks and requires disipline to execute.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Very good and informative post there Josh. Thank you for your insights. Anyone that has been running nitro for very long should know by now that winning is rarely about horsepower.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is why Josh Cyrul is such a respected driver/mechanic everywhere he goes, including here in Europe.

May he open some narrow minds around here...
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you for the first unbiased assessment of the final, although you'd have all the right of being biased
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We all know that the chassis, tires, engine, body, etc, etc and their corresponding configuration and settings, based on the track layout and track conditions, determine how fast a car can go around the track. While the engine plays a role in powering the car, it’s not the only determining factor on how fast the car goes. You guys all know this. And let’s not forget the guy on the driver’s stand that is controlling the car. To me, stating that the engine was faster or slower is incorrect. It’s really the car that was faster or slower, not just the engine – and if the guy on the drivers stand decides that he is going to drive more conservative than the other drivers, then that certainly puts a spin on how fast the car was capable of going.

To say that the slowest engine won the race is just ridiculous. We don’t race engines. We race cars.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys are we forgetting the same Daniel Ielasi also won the Worlds Warm-up, he has to be doing something right
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jelayne
Guys are we forgetting the same Daniel Ielasi also won the Worlds Warm-up, he has to be doing something right
And came within a couple laps of winning the 1/8th euros.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Hey I can say being in the pits watching the level of stress being put on the driver, cars, Engines and pit crew it is part skill and part luck. More planning and skill than luck but at the end you need luck. I totally agree with Josh that having a good plan to win needs to be fully executed and even than you still could have something outside of the your control happen. Josh and Paul and Ralph did not have a dedicated pitman/mechanic I helped them when I could but I was racing and could not dedicate the time needed to setup a fully thoughtout race. I could think of many things we could have done better but it did not happen. His car was amazing in his hands. Fastest by a long way. In a one hour main it is who is on top at the end. I imagine Ralph and Paul and Josh will have it more organized for the next race and will have a better result.

I wanted an American to win and we did a real good in that effort. We came short but it will happen someday.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
And came within a couple laps of winning the 1/8th euros.
It was actually the second to last corner on the last lap where is battery gave up..
His last run over the timing loop was at 44:53.799 minutes.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
We all know that the chassis, tires, engine, body, etc, etc and their corresponding configuration and settings, based on the track layout and track conditions, determine how fast a car can go around the track. While the engine plays a role in powering the car, it’s not the only determining factor on how fast the car goes. You guys all know this. And let’s not forget the guy on the driver’s stand that is controlling the car. To me, stating that the engine was faster or slower is incorrect. It’s really the car that was faster or slower, not just the engine – and if the guy on the drivers stand decides that he is going to drive more conservative than the other drivers, then that certainly puts a spin on how fast the car was capable of going.

To say that the slowest engine won the race is just ridiculous. We don’t race engines. We race cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.