Like Tree2Likes

Rc10ntc3

Old 06-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default steering problems

coming from a corner to the main straight, my steering does not go back to center line. at rest, when i turn the steering left and release it the tires doesn't go back exactly to where the center is. the same thing when i turn my steering to the right. is there something i need to modify? basically my servo saver is stock.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you using a Hitec servo?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Steering

I was reading some old posts (between page 170 and 180) and some dudes found that problem to be one of three things.

1) The servo saver spring was very sad and they replaced it with either the factory optional spring or with an RC10GT Slipper spring.

2) The ball cups on the steering blocks were tight (this could be tested by removing the steering links and making sure they are free to rotate in both directions).

3) The bearings in the swing rack need cleaning/replacing.

I guess on top of this, you might also need to look at servo torque/centering ability etc if it's not a mechanical issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by soc123_au
Are you using a Hitec servo?
steering servo is futaba 9402
Old 06-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default ZOOM

thanks for your tips, i already replaced the servo saver spring with the stiffer one. i will check the ball caps as well as the bearings
Old 06-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

If you have bent on or more of the pivot balls, that can also drastically effect the centering of the steering even with a very strong servo.

Take the control arm off your steering servo and move it by hand. It should be smooth as glass, and not bind. If it does take off the control arm to both of the steering blocks and move them by hand. That will show you which one is screwed up, and make it easier to fix. Even a small bend in a pivot ball can jack up the steering.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by DMACK
If you have bent on or more of the pivot balls, that can also drastically effect the centering of the steering even with a very strong servo.

Take the control arm off your steering servo and move it by hand. It should be smooth as glass, and not bind. If it does take off the control arm to both of the steering blocks and move them by hand. That will show you which one is screwed up, and make it easier to fix. Even a small bend in a pivot ball can jack up the steering.
DMACK,
thanks for the reply. i will also check the pivot balls. i didnt know this can affect the centering of the steering. actualy i havent check them since the time i got the kit last 2002.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just in case anyone is after one, I have my second Factory Team V2 NTC3 up for sale (in Australia). It comes with all the usual FT goodies, plus some option parts. Carbon fibre radio plate and side plate, K-Factory low CG tank, 3 shoe clutch, alloy brake bearing cover and 'the fix' in the front end. Includes all the stuff from the original kit as well (incl the blue FT 2 chamber pipe)

I was bidding on 2 of these on ebay to try and win one and ended up winning 2! lol. So one has to go for what I paid for it.

A$375.

I also have an STS RS5 turbo that is brand new that I can throw in for an extra $160.

I know this isn't the for sale section, just thought if there was someone wanting a spare car or to move up to a FT car then I would post it here.

Cheers,

Mike.

pm or email me for details.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: steering problems

Originally posted by thefuzzclub
coming from a corner to the main straight, my steering does not go back to center line. at rest, when i turn the steering left and release it the tires doesn't go back exactly to where the center is. the same thing when i turn my steering to the right. is there something i need to modify? basically my servo saver is stock.
No servo will give you absolute center everytime you return your steering...when you say they cannot be center, is that UNACCEPTABLE (like using some cheap servo or Hi-tec servos)or just a hair...?....but again, my money is on your pivot balls, 1 or few of them are bent...

Also, do not tighten up the end cap of the pivot ball, I made a mistake last week on the rear and lost a lot of rear traction cause my rear right arms cannot travel smoothly because the end cap was tightened too much.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
jt6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Rookie - is this with the new or old rear? Or both?
Just curious cause I have run into this same symptom and never thought of the caps being too tight?
Old 07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: steering problems

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
No servo will give you absolute center everytime you return your steering...when you say they cannot be center, is that UNACCEPTABLE (like using some cheap servo or Hi-tec servos)or just a hair...?....but again, my money is on your pivot balls, 1 or few of them are bent...

Also, do not tighten up the end cap of the pivot ball, I made a mistake last week on the rear and lost a lot of rear traction cause my rear right arms cannot travel smoothly because the end cap was tightened too much.
Hi Rookie,
Yah you're right pivot balls were bent...
Old 07-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile

I don't think this guy is a rookie at all.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

has anybody tried the RD logics turbo pipe? I heard that it hits the fuel tank. Has anybody heard of this? Thanks for you input
Old 07-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

I just started using the blade front sway bar. My question is if the bar is horizontal or vertical what benefit is it to the car. For some reason I can't find any info on what happens when I adjust the blades.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The more vertical the blade the stiffer. What confuses me is when someone says, "I adjusted the blade 15 degrees." Is that 15 degrees from the horizontal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.