Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
help with jl red dot >

help with jl red dot

help with jl red dot

Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default help with jl red dot

i have a problem with my engine cant get motor to get full power , when started engine will run good, has good idle and when i goose it to blow it out it starts to bog like the power is gone i let it return to idle and put it on the track it starts out running ok in turns as soon as i goose it down the straight aways it fall on its face? is this a low side setting problem or a high side ( motor is new less then 12tanks still have picco carb on it please help
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

you need to run the picco pipe with it. 2607 works well.
also when tuning, you need to get to race temp and then tune.
some times it takes 3 or 4 laps to warm up properly before you can tune the engine. your high speed needle should be somewhere near flush with the top of the housing. run the bottom end on the rich side. temps will be around the 240F but need the pipe with this engine. after running it for a while, if you notice fuel leakage around the air filter, then you may have a carb that the internal casing is leaking. part where the alloy comes out of the plastic body.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

set it back up to factory settings, does it load up at a 20 second idle? is it only in second gear it has a problem? (drivetrain ok?)
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Infernoman

Check your gas tank, tubing and pipe for leaks. even with the wrong pipe the motor runs. I seams that you are loosing presure. If all good, check your clutch.

I run it with skyline pipe.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

i just reshimed the clutch at the track yesterday and have new fuel tubing all around no fuel leaks at the carb , also running a rd logic pipe turbo outlaw, i seem hard to getthe engine up to race tune when it does not seem to have any power it is like iam putting around the track well what settings do i touch first when tuning the high side or low and what are the stock settings
Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Ok. What car are you running? gearing and tire size? Is it a stock motor or IDM or modified? Is the pipe crushed anywhere? What fuel %? What plug?

Check for leaks... Take gas tank out, empty it and blow in the cap with fuel tubing and hold exit to carb. see if it leaks from gas cap or gas tank seams.

Take the pipe blow in the header as if the engine was pushing it's exhaust, put your finger in the exhaust stinger. see if air comes out the fuel tank connector. If not is clogged, soak the pipe in alcohol and blow with compresor. Check and replace all header gaskets and manifold. Use as little fuel tubing as possible. (remove any fuel filters and pipe filters in line with fuel tubing)

Carburator. is it sitting well on engine? is the linkage opening the carb more than it should? are you tunning it after is up to temp.

My high end is .15mm above collar (box stock red dot). low is hard to judge, you have to play with idle screw and low end screw.

Hope this helps. I run the motor in club races for obvious reasons. "affortable"
I hate to see you struggle with it. mine starts up everytime and runs like a champ. it's a good motor, like all machined equiptment some have flaws. if nothing work, call ofna. I'm sure they would like to keep you as a customer.