R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Sealing a new motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/23119-sealing-new-motor.html)

jcrouse 08-20-2003 05:02 AM

Sealing a new motor

I have a new Novarossi NS12 5 port. Someone at the local track suggested that I seal the front case, carb and high speed needle housing as a standard practice. What are you guy's take on this and what are you using. I did a search a saw where one guy mentioned Permatex Ultra Blue. What instructions and suggestions do you guys have for doing this.

snoopy 08-20-2003 06:01 AM

This can be a good practise, but very very careful to use the sealant sparingly.

tIANcI 08-20-2003 07:11 AM

Sealing a motor

There is not need to seal it if it is still new as the S5 is well built. What you might need to seal is the area where the rubber boot meets the carb, a little sealant there will stop any leaks. Also a little cable tie would do well there.

My S5 has been stripped about 3 times now and its still doing well. No leaks ...

EdwardN 08-20-2003 10:21 AM

Re: Sealing a new motor

Originally posted by jcrouse
I have a new Novarossi NS12 5 port. Someone at the local track suggested that I seal the front case, carb and high speed needle housing as a standard practice. What are you guy's take on this and what are you using. I did a search a saw where one guy mentioned Permatex Ultra Blue. What instructions and suggestions do you guys have for doing this.
I wouldn't put any sealer on the engine, nowhere. It will be inside engine sooner or later and it will ruine something. Put some tie wire on the rubber boot on carb and leave it alone. Make sure all o-rings aren't damaged, all screws are tight, that is all you need to do with it.

EVOLUTION 08-20-2003 10:31 AM

I put a zip tie around the boot and secure it to the carb and superglue the other end of the boot.

EdwardN 08-20-2003 10:42 AM

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
I put a zip tie around the boot and secure it to the carb and superglue the other end of the boot.
This will work perfectly-I will do the same with CA glue.

EVOLUTION 08-20-2003 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
This will work perfectly-I will do the same with CA glue.
Yep,it's a tip i was given years ago by a friend just to make sure there are no air leaks.

jcrouse 08-20-2003 06:08 PM

Looking for more opinions!

Bump

Manticore 08-20-2003 06:16 PM

Re: Looking for more opinions!

Originally posted by jcrouse
Bump
you dont need to seal the carb joint area on an NS engine. there is an extra o-ring at the crankcase that would seal the joint from air leak. as for the main needle, the plastic inlet seals that part automatically when you tighten the main needle on the carb. this is the reason why novarossi use plastic inlet on their carb. the most you can do is to use tie wrap on rubber boot. I dont think CA is the answer as CA runs around if you put too much on it.

EVOLUTION 08-20-2003 07:00 PM

Plastic tie around the boot to secure it to the carb and superglue on the other end to secure it to the slide and make sure no air gets sucked in. :D

Manticore 08-20-2003 07:10 PM

I saw someone put a rubber band on a carb !! who is that idiot? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EVOLUTION 08-20-2003 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Manticore
I saw someone put a rubber band on a carb !! who is that idiot? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :sweat: :sneaky: :spidey: :batman: :ha: :D :p :blush:

tIANcI 08-22-2003 12:57 AM

Rubber band

Don't laugh so fast, where was the rubber band? I use a rubber band to hold the slide carb back in case there is a sudden loss of RX power! This is something no fail safe can help you in the event that you somehow loose RX power!

fuse01 08-22-2003 01:17 AM

i agree rubber band is also a failsafe.... been there done that.
works like a charm.