Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Help me Identify this KIT, being sold dirt cheap. >

Help me Identify this KIT, being sold dirt cheap.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me Identify this KIT, being sold dirt cheap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help me Identify this KIT, being sold dirt cheap.

Just created my account, this forum looks pretty damn busy so figured id create an account here and see how things go. I want to get back into the hobby, I used to have an electric RC car long ago but now want to try out the nitro scene.

There is this kit being sold locally to me, the guy has no clue what kit it is other then its never been run before outdoors and only one small tank of gas it's gone through for part of the break-in. The price is dirt cheap, thought this is the perfect car to get setup on.

I cant figure out what car it is though, guy took some pictures and made note of some words on the kit (he doesnt know much about the car himself, it was given to him?? go figure...) Anyways, pictures below. It has 'HPI" writing on the muffler (If this is an HPI what model is it??) and he said the name "geosho" or something to that was printed on the engine? Ive been searching online forever for pictures of HPI previous lineup of cars but I cant find a model that looks identical to this.

Here are some pictures, anybody know what the hell this thing is??

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That car looks really old. You probably don't want to hear this but, if it's your first nitro car, you may want to look elsewhere. You may have problems with worn out o'rings on the fuel tank and carb which will cause you lots of headaches if you can't find replacements. Believe me, I know. My first car was an HPI and it was cheap, but nothing but problems. I wish I had started with something a little bit more reliable. I'm sure you're going to get this car really cheap but my advice would be to save up some money and get something better. Even a Nitro TC3 would be a huge step up from that car. I would even suggest a Team Magic car. Those 2 might not be the fastest things out there but at least they will probably run and you can get into the groove again. Plus, it won't be so hard to find parts because you will break whatever you decide to get. Good luck though.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Damn, your saying it's really that old eh. The guy wants to sell it for $40-50 bucks with glow igniter (which alone would cost me $20 bucks). You sure about worn out rings on the fuel tank and carb? The guy said it's only been idled for 15 minutes, and has never seen any road ever to date. There has gotta be some crazy hpi guru on here that knows his models in & out.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is either the first HPI Nitro RS4 or Kyosho Spider.

Not worth your money, even at $50, unless you're into collectables.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Looks like an Ofna Nitro Z10.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

It's not about how much it's been run. It's about age. O'rings get brittle when they dry out and eventually fall apart. When they start falling apart, you'll get air leaks which will turn into a nightmare to tune. Plus, if you break something on the car like an A arm or something like that, you have to think about where you are going to get a replacement. If you're lucky, your local hobby shop might be able to order it but if not and the parts are discontinued, where are you going to find them? My guess is, when you touch a curb and break something, you'll spend a lot of time trying to find replacements and get frustrated and pack it away in the attic. I'm just saying to try and find a car that you can easily get parts for. The best way is to go to your local hobby shop and see what they stock. I've found most will stock Traxxas, Associated, Losi, HPI, OFNA and if you're really lucky, they'll have Mugen, Xray, or Serpent. Then you can search the internet for a used one and you'll be much better off. Most people just don't think about how you're going to fix it when it breaks. Trust me, the most important thing is how you are going to get parts for this thing. Even getting tires for that may be a challange. Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

To me I would think it's an HPI RS4, plus since the pipe says HPI I would bet that's a save guess.

I hate to agree with JetMD, but even when I went from running offroad for a long time to running onroad I broke parts getting used to it. In other words, check to see if you can get parts easily for when something breaks. Sorry for the not so good news.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

My guess is a Ofna Z10 with a .10 engine of a Kyosho Spyder RTR
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

i cant make out the car but thats got to be a Kyosho .10/.11 engine. i remember that pull start and head.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs down

Don't waste your time or money.......
Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default No!!!

May be one step foward price wise, but five steps back in nitro racing!!
Just buy one of the top brands second hand,and when its time to up date youll be glad you did!!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It looks like a CEN to me. Saw a few at the LHS a while back. I would have to say garbage.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

def. 100% CEN junk,sorry.Looks nothing like original rs-4.,thetank,green/redspurs,oddball throttle servo pos.,all CEN.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default k

Yeah if it's really that ancient, especially a CEN vehicle I think I will pass up on this one. No deal, case closed and thanks for all the feedback.