Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Stupid Newbie Questions! >

Stupid Newbie Questions!

Stupid Newbie Questions!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
If you are going to get a car just for drags why not get an actual drag car?
+1, if you're out having fun no big deal what on road you get. if you're serious, road racing and drag racing take two totally different cars.

i do have some drag cars for sale though and they WILL go 80+ mph
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=230421
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nc racer
OK, i think i've decided to get a Shumacher nitro fusion. all the excess Kyosho and Mugen love has me sick. ;-)

Nah,

it looks like i wont be able to make a track car go fast enough to beat my drag racing buddies, so it's a Fusion for now and prolly a V-one-rrr evo++ Ham sammich for when i decide to race.

unless one of you peeps is gonna tell me i can do 90 with a track car.
good luck with geting an rc car to do 90 and have any kind of bottom end thats a big number and at the biggest tracks 1/8th scales ar only hitting about 70-75 if that and that is with a good engine
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, doesnt have to be 90, just fast enough to beat the 3 cell lipo with C-4 motors popping up all around my area.

we do drag and oval in a big parking lot here, which is why i dont really want a straight drag car.

this problem would all be solved if only i had a road track closer than 2.5 hrs away.

thats why i'm thinking the fusion, i'd hate to subject a real racecar to the sometimes harsh pavements we race.

of course throughout my searching i find myself wanting a Kyosho, Mugen, serpent and team magic. i see myself being broke and happy :-)
Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

NC Racer putting a RB, AB modded OS.18TZ motor in your race car maybe your solution. Sounds like you want a car that has enough power to roadrace with and drag race with one of their modded will give you the rpms and the hp . Because the .18TZ is a small block it is not going to mess your center of gravity up as much as a .21 would for road racing because it is not as heavy. The OS .18 TZ will drop right in a V-1RRR
Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

The fusion does reach 70+ top speed but it take a lot of real estate to get to those speeds. You may not even realize those speeds if you run out of room. Those brushless C4s/lipo cars can reach those speeds alot quicker.

parts are hard to find too.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

just keep in mind that Electric cars eccelerate much quicker and get to top end faster...so if you're racing a nitro car against 3S lipo mod motor electric cars, you wont be able to keep up unless you spend money on a really good engine, pipe, and probably use 30% fuel.

You can defenitely get a 1/10 nitro sedan kit and drag with it...18TZ engine is very good, but still be slower than the electric 3S Lipo cars. Even a fusion will not catch an electric dragster.

just get a nitro good sedan kit(Kyosho RRR, Mugen, Serpent, etc), and run on-road with everyone else and learn to drive a course and set up...and get an 18TZ for drag racing if you want.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the input guys.

what i'm thinking about now is going the os tz .18 route with a good pipe and servos. I'm thinking about getting an rd logics mongoose chassis to learn the ways. (is this a decent chassis? i really dont have 4-500 bucks to spend on one yet). then maybe in 6 months or so, i'm going to be looking for a RRR, a G4rs, or a mugen, i still havent narrowed it down.

what i do need to know is i put the engine in, how does the starter box work with it? what additional parts hook from the engine to the starter box.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, my only nitro experiance comes from a MGT with a pullstart .28 on it.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Depending on what type of starter box you get you will need either 2, 6 cell nicads packs or a larger gel battery to turn the starter over. The way my box is set up until you put the car on top of the box and press down the top the starter is off. But when you press down the starter top the starter wheel pops up and is turning comes in contact with the flywheel on the motor and starts it right up. There will be instructions telling you how to use the alignment pins so you can put you car in the exact location each time you start it so you dont waste time centering it up. Some times when the motor is new you may have to loosen up the glow plug abot 1/2 a turn to relieve some of the compression so you can turn over the motor when it starts running tighten the plug back up.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the help nitrohead!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

You are welcome
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
just keep in mind that Electric cars eccelerate much quicker and get to top end faster...so if you're racing a nitro car against 3S lipo mod motor electric cars, you wont be able to keep up unless you spend money on a really good engine, pipe, and probably use 30% fuel.

You can defenitely get a 1/10 nitro sedan kit and drag with it...18TZ engine is very good, but still be slower than the electric 3S Lipo cars. Even a fusion will not catch an electric dragster.

just get a nitro good sedan kit(Kyosho RRR, Mugen, Serpent, etc), and run on-road with everyone else and learn to drive a course and set up...and get an 18TZ for drag racing if you want.

my rb r3 murnan mod will give any electric a run for its money i am willing to bet any good twelve will out run any os 18 anyday of the week
Old 07-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Suspended

did you find my truer yet i left it on the stand seen it on ebay 25
Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nc racer
basically, i want someone to tell me i can go 80 mph with a NTC3 or an HPI with the right motor and gearing, so i can go ahead and buy one of these and wuit looking at the Fusion which is just going to hurt my feelings if i ever try to track it.
Sure you can straight out of the box ~ put it on the seat next to your in your street car, head for the interstate, and liberally push the speed limit.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KyoshokiddT.D
my rb r3 murnan mod will give any electric a run for its money i am willing to bet any good twelve will out run any os 18 anyday of the week
..............Not if the OS TZ .18 has been modified correctly that .12 won't out run it.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Another 1/8 on road to consider

If I may add to it, here is one more option aside from all those big names. EDAM! It is running fast and has RTR version avaliable. If you would go for a race, you could pick the Kit too. You could log into their web site and check for yourself. It priced fair and with good performance. Don't run into any conclusion until you have check them all (all models and brands) out.

http://www.edam.com.tw
http://edamracing.blogspot.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.