Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp Gun?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Temp Gun?

I want to get the most out of my engine without damaging it and I'm thinking that a temp gun will help me out with this. Which temp gun would you reccomend that is accurate, yet won't break the bank. Possibly ($30 - $50 ) ? If that's way off the price of temp guns, don't hesistate to let me know.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pro Excotics temp gun won't bankrupt you.

www.tempgun.com
Old 08-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMG5&P=7
Old 08-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Heheh... Gee, I wonder who makes the Duratrax Temp Gun?

It is cheaper than the source, though...
Old 08-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Lol, I noticed that straight out too. The thing is though, the duratrax is going to be in late august they think. I can pick one up from the source right this instant.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Default Temp Gun vs. Temp Sensors

Guys, I think that Temp Guns are great since they are pretty accurate when you take it off the plug but there is a problem ...

The problem is that when you bring your car in the temp would have dropped and the reading is not accurate at all. I have noticed that by the time you bring the car in the temp will have dropped by about 10 degrees C.

With a temp sensor you get the max temp that the engine actually registers for the run. I took my temp sensor and put it in boiling water and the temp read 100 degrees C. That is pretty accurate ... only argument is that the sensor is placed around the base of the heatsink and some say that is not as accurate as taking the temp off the plug.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I guess the question would be - what do the pros usually use to check temps? Oncar or the temp gun ?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Pros are no doubt using Exergen TempGuns, but then again, they have the $$$ to spend $250 on a gun.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Pros are no doubt using Exergen TempGuns, but then again, they have the $$$ to spend $250 on a gun.
Most pros hardly rely on temp guns. They use their ears and eyes and probably their hard earned spit

Anyway, for those non pros like most of us, any idea if the Fluke 61 Infrared Thermometer is good? It's about USD 100 or so.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
Most pros hardly rely on temp guns. They use their ears and eyes and probably their hard earned spit
Yep. Never owned a temp gun in 16yrs. Eyes, ears and feel of the throttle in response to my thumb. When its going hard enough to race for wins who cares what temp it is running at.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

The temp gun is used as a guide when tuning your engine. It is by no means the method to use to tune your motor.

With that, the guys that do this for a living use the Exergen temp guns normally.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Not a pro, but do own an Exergen. Perhaps, I should get rid of it, so that I can become a "pro".
Old 08-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
Most pros hardly rely on temp guns.
I agree that most pros don't "rely" on temp gun. It's just there for a reference.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

I would love to own an exergen and to be seen as a pro!! how about this?

this is a just a hobby. you are already a pro with the top notch radio and high performance race car.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by modellor
Yep. Never owned a temp gun in 16yrs. Eyes, ears and feel of the throttle in response to my thumb. When its going hard enough to race for wins who cares what temp it is running at.
With all my respect, modellor, you're surely "THE MAN"! I really want to learn more of your secret how you could make an engine last two and a half years with such practice on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.