Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Where is everybody?

Originally posted by Data
thanks for the reply, now i have more questions.

how would the shape and angle of the squish band affect the performance? As you said, the design of the squish band changes from engine to engine, but what is the general guide line the designer would follow ?
Ok, angle on sqish band is very iportant when we are talking about engine's aplication-on dragster-you will preferd to do 0, for RC racing 2-3 degrees and area will be around 65 %. Flat squish band is more difficult to control, but it will make more power and power will come up like somebody turn it in, with angled squish band it is much easier to control, but it will produce less power and engine performance will be smother. Also the clearance between piston and head is very important too-if it is too big-you most likely will have preignition and the temperature trnasfer from piston to the head will be lees and it will create detonation (sandblasting). In most of the cases people try to put more head gakets ( will create more difference in temperature and more detonation). In this case-use colder plug, or bigger volume botton.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
well,theres got to be some benefit(you would think).....but I'm curious as to the reason..shape,extra coil in the filament,takes up more cyl space for more compression....

I know they don't recommend them for off road use,as they are more fragile.....and harder to tune..

Hmmm..
The real benefit in that area is only to use all aluminum. I had mentioned before in other thred, platinum, which is part of filament, is ctalisator for burning process. We try to increase platinum area (plating the head) it didn't add any power. So after that we just end up with al glow heads. Compression-you mean compression ratio or compression itself? You got to be very carefull with compression ratio-only one-right one will work -too low-will lose power too much will loose plugs (overheating). Just right one wil work. I don't know real benefit of turbo plug, I have never seen them before and now, I didn't see so far any difference at all. May be there is some.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

This plug will give real benefit.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Wars Thread-gloplug.jpeg  
Old 08-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice to have an RC conversation..

hope its not ruined 2 hours from now..
Old 08-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Nice to have an RC conversation..

hope its not ruined 2 hours from now..
Why it will? I don't see any reason to have it ruined (as long as nobody call me irrogant idiot)
Old 08-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no..its me they'll be after...

Watch..
Old 08-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

no..its me they'll be after...

Watch..
What are you talking about? Who are they? Who cares if they exist? Who is going to stop me here or somewhere else? Are you kidding me? People come here to say something or ask question, or or share expirience, if somebody doesn't like it-it there problem and it means they are hiding something from people-I don't care if I open some secrets or so. I will say whatever I want to, about anyhting I want to.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
What are you talking about? Who are they? Who cares if they exist? Who is going to stop me here or somewhere else? Are you kidding me? People come here to say something or ask question, or or share expirience, if somebody doesn't like it-it there problem and it means they are hiding something from people-I don't care if I open some secrets or so. I will say whatever I want to, about anyhting I want to.
bravo!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

I have used both standard plugs and turbo plugs and I actually do think that there is a very slight performance difference with the turbo plug. BUT I think that it only becomes obvious when the engine becomes older.

On a standard head repeated plug removal and replacement wears the thread of the head down and it becomes a potential source for compression leakage. Similarly that stupid brass washer on the plug gets crushed and flattened out and alters the glow plug position slightly.

Turbo plugs seal the head chamber up really tight and always key into the right position. Also the actual face that goes into the chamber is much smaller meaning the shape of the chamber is less affected by the shape of the glowplug.

I have no scientific evidence to back this all up of course.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

and how does the shape of a TURBO plug help performance.....
The coning from what I am led to believe is just a better way of sealing the gap to stop leaks or loss of combustion like a standard square plug (hence the requirement of the washer). But due to the fact that the amount of outer material changes I guess it controls the amount of distance the most of the heat dissapates up through the plug to stop it from becoming damaged so quick and also provide a more controlled combustion rate.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AMGRacer
I have used both standard plugs and turbo plugs and I actually do think that there is a very slight performance difference with the turbo plug. BUT I think that it only becomes obvious when the engine becomes older.

On a standard head repeated plug removal and replacement wears the thread of the head down and it becomes a potential source for compression leakage. Similarly that stupid brass washer on the plug gets crushed and flattened out and alters the glow plug position slightly.

Turbo plugs seal the head chamber up really tight and always key into the right position. Also the actual face that goes into the chamber is much smaller meaning the shape of the chamber is less affected by the shape of the glowplug.

I have no scientific evidence to back this all up of course.
This is looks like real difference between turbo and regular plug. But if you pay attencion to the turbo thred-you will know it is much finner. I think it is easier to damge it if some debry will get there-specialy aluminum-it will ruined in second, but I am not sure, it just seems for me like this. What I saw in a lot of engines-which is realy shoked me-a lot of people use head shims made out of cooper-I would never do it, only soft AL.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'm not sure about this but the dome shape
in the button is designed to bring fuel and
air mixture as close to the center of the
glow plug if you go with a flat shaped button
the engine might not be as efficient due to
the nitro mixture will not be directed towards
the glow plug as for different designs ive
noticed that some modifiers make a cut
on the button on the side where to boost
port is or on the exhaust side on the button
but they do not try to change the cumbustion
shape just the edges to help flow i guess.
i would be carfull not too leave sharp edges
when doing this modification as it will retain
heat and could cause preignition sometime
when the engine gets up to temp.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
This is looks like real difference between turbo and regular plug. But if you pay attencion to the turbo thred-you will know it is much finner. I think it is easier to damge it if some debry will get there-specialy aluminum-it will ruined in second, but I am not sure, it just seems for me like this. What I saw in a lot of engines-which is realy shoked me-a lot of people use head shims made out of cooper-I would never do it, only soft AL.
Yes the threads are much finer and I agree may get damaged easier. But the threads are not doing the sealing so it does not matter as much.

My plug threads are still OK at the moment, seems to be undamaged so far.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Nitro Tech

Dear TOP GUN,

We all know that higher exhaust port can move the torque/rpm curve to the high-rpm zone.But we will lost some torque on the bottom and get instable idle.What do you think between high-rpm engine and high-torque engine?Whatever we can change the gear ratio for them to fit for the track.Which one is your favorite?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Nitro Tech

There is a photo to explain the TURBO PLUG.It can fix the content of the combustion chamber no matter which brand's turbo plug using on your engine.The purpose is the same with TOP GUN's antique Rossi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.