Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Xmas

Originally posted by OZDC
Santa.tw is sending me a present containing some Mystery Eastern Power.

Hopefully it arrives before I leave for the Nationals on monday.

Hey Tommy perhaps we should organise some drag racing at the Hotel, see how the D3.5 goes against the 777 Sirio.

DC
I can hold 3 dragons in one hand. . .
now let's see how many dragons you can hold in one hand . .

Old 09-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Xmas

Originally posted by prawntoe
Can you do the same with .21 engines?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Engine wars thread

Originally posted by InitialD
Perhaps I should bring this up here... You mention in the 1/8th scale WC thread that the Sirio engine used by L. Collari and other Kyosho drivers has it's sleeve integrated with cooling fins on the top of sleeve. I take it that it gives better cooling? Any other advantages? Any benefit if this technology be integrated onto smaller .12 engines assuming it can be done? Thanks.
Yes, you are absolutly right, one of the advantages is beter cooling, but not only better cooling, also more even cooling on around perimeter of sleeve. There are much more important advantages of it, let's say, during the heat cycles over the race, engine will have different temperature and it will expand hundresds of times during on race. In existing (common) desings we have sleeve change its geometry on lenght and diameter, it will overtight with piston and getting loose many times-it makes engine work not realy stable and wear out moving parts much faster (proven fackt and don't want to discuse about it).
About if it can be done for .12 engine-yes easy can be done and you will see next generation Sirio will have it (I hope), but it is half way to go.
I wish I have better technical laguage to express myself ( my english is sucks).

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 09-26-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:57 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Xmas

Originally posted by prawntoe

Hey man, hurry and go try it!

I heard that it is a NovaMax and NS12 beater (if not, around the same power)
Old 09-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Engine wars thread

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Yes, you are absolutly right, one of the advantages is beter cooling, but not only better cooling, also more even cooling on around perimeter of sleeve. There are much more important advantages of it, let's say, during the heat cycles over the race, engine will have different temperature and it will expand hundresds of times during on race. In existing (common) desings we have sleeve change its geometry on lenght and diameter, it will overtight with piston and getting loose many times-it makes engine work not realy stable and wear out moving parts much faster (proven fackt and don't want to discuse about it).
About if it can be done for .12 engine-yes easy can be done and you will see next generation Sirio will have it (I hope), but it is half way to go.
I wish I have better technical laguage to express myself ( my english is sucks).
Your English if fine - a whole lot better than my Russian.
I've often wondered about this . . .

Would there be some advantage in using heat transfer paste when installing the sleeve into the case? This stuff is commonly used to conduct heat away from microprocessors to their heatsinks and works well. The temperature range is similar.

I've also wondered if it might be worthwhile using it between the head button and sleeve, though I don't know how much it might (or might not) compress in this situation, but some products are petroleum based and could be thinned down, maybe.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine wars thread

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Would there be some advantage in using heat transfer paste when installing the sleeve into the case? This stuff is commonly used to conduct heat away from microprocessors to their heatsinks and works well. The temperature range is similar.

I've also wondered if it might be worthwhile using it between the head button and sleeve, though I don't know how much it might (or might not) compress in this situation, but some products are petroleum based and could be thinned down, maybe.
In few words: I a good idea but a bad choose of material. Better to: Deck the cooling head where touches the plug button to provide a much better contact area.

Processors temperature go up to 60 - 70ºC, engines go up to double, this dries in excess the heat transfer paste cooking it and getting so dry and hard that the vibrations of the engine makes internal breaks on the cooling paste, ruining it.

See how STS finishes their cooling heads to promote better contact between parts. Is a better way to do.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine wars thread

Originally posted by Corse-R
In few words: I a good idea but a bad choose of material. Better to: Deck the cooling head where touches the plug button to provide a much better contact area.
Hmmm . . . I was actually suggesting between the head button and sleeve, but since you mention it, between the head button and cooling head would also be worthwhile, I'd think. Decking the cooling head would improve the contact area but is still unlikely to be as intimate as with thermal paste.

Processors temperature go up to 60 - 70ºC, engines go up to double, this dries in excess the heat transfer paste cooking it and getting so dry and hard that the vibrations of the engine makes internal breaks on the cooling paste, ruining it.
Arctic Silver, a common brand of heat transfer paste is supposed to be Ok at greater than 180ºC and the makers claim it will "will not separate, run, migrate, or bleed"

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm

There are also silicone versions of this stuff that are supposed to be good, too.

See how STS finishes their cooling heads to promote better contact between parts. Is a better way to do.
Thanks, I'll have to check this out, now.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine wars thread

Your English if fine - a whole lot better than my Russian.
I've often wondered about this . . .

I wouldn't sugest to use any paste or similar product anywhere. For sure it will go to engine and ruine it. The real thing is not just remove heat from the top part of sleeve, it is actualy done everywhere, but to don't let heat to transfer to the bottom part of engine. The one of the hottest part of engine is Exhaust area and this is primiry taget now.
About the heatransfer paste between bottn and cooling head-doesn't realy need it, but if you will remove anodizing coat rom the cooling head in that area it will be very helpfull. I sigest to don't use head shims made out of brass or copper-just Al is the best. I buying this AL in supermarket -it is 0.12 mm thick and making out of it. It is mutch cheaper, then buy from LHS (if they have it). It costs for me 1000 pieces-$10 (in one punch I make 50).
Old 09-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

yes 777 is right here. Heat transfer paste will come back to bite you, in fact anything with silicone in it will render your engine toast. Problem is it contaminates the plugs and once in the engine it is very hard to get rid of even with a good soap and water scrubbing of the engine.

stay away from anything with silicone in it. in fact I wont even use o2 safe silicone to seal up my engines. I use shoo goo and only if necessary.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Motorman
I use shoo goo and only if necessary.
Shoe goo? Woow, this is interesting !

Any thoughts on the new .21 Sirio engine that has the sleeve integrated with cooling fins on the top of sleeve?
Old 09-29-2003, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Motorman
yes 777 is right here. Heat transfer paste will come back to bite you, in fact anything with silicone in it will render your engine toast. Problem is it contaminates the plugs and once in the engine it is very hard to get rid of even with a good soap and water scrubbing of the engine.

stay away from anything with silicone in it. in fact I wont even use o2 safe silicone to seal up my engines. I use shoo goo and only if necessary.
OK, I hadn't thought of that. I guess your saying that the "normal" silicon will affect the platinum in the plug - much like it affects the platinum in o2 sensors. That's why the o2 sensor safe material was developed.

Anyway, point taken.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Unbearable Bearings?

Since we have a couple of new engine manufacturers on this thread, and in the spirit of "engine wars" I'm declaring war on crankshaft bearings.

Today I went hunting crankshaft bearings to rebuild three Nova based .12 engines.
It seems (and of course you all knew) that you can't buy the rear crank bearing from "normal" bearing suppliers because it's a "special" bearing.

The "special" people at Novarossi decided to use an 11mm crank diameter when the only bearings readily available have an I.D. of either 10mm or 12mm.
They thought . . . . . instead of just machining a step onto the crank to take a normal 12mm I.D. bearing, we could have our bearing suppliers grind out the inner race of a 10mm bearing to fit our 11mm crank. That way all those mugs would have to pay about ten times the price for one of our "special" bearings - and they can only buy it from us.

And guess what? . . . . their "new" NS series engines have an 11.5mm crank.

OK, I'm over it now.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Unbearable Bearings?

Since we have a couple of new engine manufacturers on this thread, and in the spirit of "engine wars" I'm declaring war on crankshaft bearings.

Today I went hunting crankshaft bearings to rebuild three Nova based .12 engines.
It seems (and of course you all knew) that you can't buy the rear crank bearing from "normal" bearing suppliers because it's a "special" bearing.

The "special" people at Novarossi decided to use an 11mm crank diameter when the only bearings readily available have an I.D. of either 10mm or 12mm.
They thought . . . . . instead of just machining a step onto the crank to take a normal 12mm I.D. bearing, we could have our bearing suppliers grind out the inner race of a 10mm bearing to fit our 11mm crank. That way all those mugs would have to pay about ten times the price for one of our "special" bearings - and they can only buy it from us.

And guess what? . . . . their "new" NS series engines have an 11.5mm crank.

OK, I'm over it now.
This is the way from Nova to screw people. They make you to come back to them. It is real mistake from them. Ones new brands will come out on market, the common parts will be interchangeble or they will be cheap enogh to regular racer can afforde it without real pain. I think .21 has funny size too, like 24.5 or so. It is realy frastrating. I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Unbearable Bearings?

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
This is the way from Nova to screw people. They make you to come back to them. It is real mistake from them. Ones new brands will come out on market, the common parts will be interchangeble or they will be cheap enogh to regular racer can afforde it without real pain. I think .21 has funny size too, like 24.5 or so. It is realy frastrating. I wouldn't do it.
Sorry, but... from some time to now, the only I hear from you about Nova, Sirio, ... is pure bitching and whining. Does anything about those manufacturers that you will like? Bitching about their flow and fuel atomization on the crankcase, bitching about their sleeve taper and piston to sleeve fit, bitching about their sleeve and piston construction, bitching, bitching, bitching...

Let's face something. None of the engine manufacturers have a perfect product, all are capable of being improved. I heard something about the high price of the Nova bearings. Two weeks ago I changed a main bearing to an engine, bought the Nova spare part and the bearing costed me the equivalent to 13US$ (15 Euros).

I don't feel that is a high price for a new main bearing, Boca have some on their stock, but didn't got good results with them.

Regarding the 11.5mm crank, let me say that is a brand new custom bearing made by SKF to Nova. As many others do they ask for custom bearings as they need. When you have a GM you don't go to Chrysler for buying spare parts or yes?

Regarding other faults, is the responsability of the tuner or engine maker do some assumption between performance and cost. If they opt for doing some kind of shape on the crank counterweight or do some cut on the sleeve is because they found that works for the normal user. For all those who want a Race engine, go for a hand modified engine from a local tuner or someone respectable.

Really, never found a post from you giving a thumbs up on something of Nova or Sirio mills. If you find that have some revolutionary ideas, why not do a call to Italy oferring your services to them? They would be glad of getting your services to make the ultimate engine.

This kind of threads their main duty is for discussing about the engines, talking about improvements, not for blaming about their construction or their metallurgy. Simply, if you don't like brand A of engines, simply switch to another who suits your needs/personal likings, not blackmouthing continuously.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Unbearable Bearings?

Sorry, but... from some time to now, the only I hear from you about Nova, Sirio, ... is pure bitching and whining. Does anything about those manufacturers that you will like? Bitching about their flow and fuel atomization on the crankcase, bitching about their sleeve taper and piston to sleeve fit, bitching about their sleeve and piston construction, bitching, bitching, bitching...

Let's face something. None of the engine manufacturers have a perfect product, all are capable of being improved. I heard something about the high price of the Nova bearings. Two weeks ago I changed a main bearing to an engine, bought the Nova spare part and the bearing costed me the equivalent to 13US$ (15 Euros).

I don't feel that is a high price for a new main bearing, Boca have some on their stock, but didn't got good results with them.

Regarding the 11.5mm crank, let me say that is a brand new custom bearing made by SKF to Nova. As many others do they ask for custom bearings as they need. When you have a GM you don't go to Chrysler for buying spare parts or yes?

Regarding other faults, is the responsability of the tuner or engine maker do some assumption between performance and cost. If they opt for doing some kind of shape on the crank counterweight or do some cut on the sleeve is because they found that works for the normal user. For all those who want a Race engine, go for a hand modified engine from a local tuner or someone respectable.

Really, never found a post from you giving a thumbs up on something of Nova or Sirio mills. If you find that have some revolutionary ideas, why not do a call to Italy oferring your services to them? They would be glad of getting your services to make the ultimate engine.

This kind of threads their main duty is for discussing about the engines, talking about improvements, not for blaming about their construction or their metallurgy. Simply, if you don't like brand A of engines, simply switch to another who suits your needs/personal likings, not blackmouthing continuously.
I have never was bitching about the Sirio, I just mentioned they had issue and I am sure they will improve it.
If I have revolutionary ideas, yes I do and you can ask people who run engines, which I did.
To call Italy and give them tips and 3 month later pay for my tips in LHS? Are you kidding me? Also in every my bitching I give as much as possible explanation for all points, I think it will be smart to use that my tips anyway. But if you realy don't like me to be here, just because I don't like Novaa, I can leave this forum.
But you need to remember, also a lot of people use my advices and they are OK with that and I realy happy to help them. I can't disclose all my ideas, due to the I am in process of production my unit, so I need to have something special for my self too
But becuase of this your post I understood you like to read my bitchings and try to find sometning new for you. So let's leave it as it is, I am bitching and you are the right guy!
BTW, I love OS, very nice engine .
One more thing if I need common part for any aplication, I just go SKF, INA, FAG, Federal Mogul or other catalog and find always what I need, regardless the brand of the car and very cheap in price. But the conrod for MR12 for $40 it is too much.

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 09-29-2003 at 01:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.