Community
Wiki Posts
Search

drivers ethics while racing....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As a "NEWBIE" i have no problems letting a "Faster Guy" pass, it gets him off my tail so i can concentrate on improving my own driving. (less distractions). Just be courtious out there and dont let your egos get you in trouble!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too am a newb and my first race was an HPI challenge and I think that was the best environment to break my racing cherry. Everyone there was pretty cool and had alot of tolerance for us. By letting faster drivers pass I was able to mimic they're lines and my times improved. Plus it resulted in the racing bug biting me and now I'm looking for local races to compete in. Bottom line is: newbs respect and be aware of faster drivers and experienced drivers need to have some patience and remember you were new once too.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
ROFLMAO - you must have just read my post and not his, and/or you're a newb yourself or have never raced before.

But the thing that set me off initially with his post was the statement, "newbies ignore faster drivers. race fee is same for everyone" - which isn't right, courteous, or sportsmanlike. And if newbies want to earn any respect with the more experienced racers, and/or not be banned from their local track for being a on-track hazard, it seems as the statement is pretty dumb.
Who do you think you are? And do you really think you can judge me based on one post (that you probably didnt read completely) ? If you read MY post, you would have found that bieng FRIENDLY to others would be good racing ethics. Obviously, you have none of this. I guess you call all others Newbs, and put them down. That really is not the way to go. Whats funny is, you are complaining about rccartips attitude, and saying he's not courteous or sportsmanlike, Yet here you are labeling and putting down both Rookies and fellow racers, Both on and off the track. You seem to match that attitude more than him.

"I finally took to putting bigazz bumpers on all my rigs to better aid me in pushing and slamming slugs out of the way" That's the way a true newb does it. That is the wrong thing to do on the track. Maybe you need to reflect upon yourself, You are hurting your own hobby the way you're going. Like the others have said, we were all newbs once upon a time.

Moving on, Heres a list of what to Do, and what not to.

Do
- Let faster drivers pass (go to the side if possible)
- Drive your best
- Marshal after every race
- Be a great sport
- Be FRIENDLY, this is a hobby, not nascar.
- Use the frequency board
- Return the Transponders when ur done
- Drive predictably and smoothly
- Remember, Slow is Fast!
- Most importantly: HAVE FUN!!!

Dont
- Block faster drivers
- Swerve around the track violently
- Rear end people
- Fart!
- Block people's view of track
- Yell at those poor marshals!
- Dont be Mean!
- Dont look like you failed drivers ed...
- Try to race in classes you dont belong in
- Hit the poor marshal with your car!
- Eat beans or burrito's the night before
- Dont Discourage Newcomers
- And lastly, Do not NOT have FUN!

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetMD
What track do you race at where they ban people for being slower than everyone else? I'd like to know so I can let everyone I race with know. I think most people wouldn't want to support a track that has this kind of attitude. And your response to anyone that disagrees with you is to call them a newb? What is that? You act as if being new is a bad thing. You were a newb once too you know and you should help out the new guys instead of being prejustice against them. If your local track is actually banning people for this and the experienced guys expect the new guys to earn their respect, you better get used to traveling because pretty soon, your local track will be empty.

If you're looking for a fun place to race where they welcome new people instead of ridiculing them, check out www.vorra.org in Virginia or 301 raceway in MD.
If you'd followed the thread you'd have noted I didn't ridicule anyone until they started supporting an idea that they could do as they pleased even if it affected race outcomes, igonored announcer calls or the move-over flag, all because they thought they had some sort of rights.
Which nobody does.
Discourteous and hazardous behavior can get one booted from any track, I guess other than ones in the backhills of Virginia - but I guess you're fine with that since it'll soon be just you and all the newbies you can invite to 301.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bigshades
Who do you think you are?
Who do I think I am?
I wasn't aware that I had to report to you here MOM!

And do you really think you can judge me based on one post (that you probably didnt read completely) ?
I would guess I read more of yours, and especially followed this thread from the beginning more, than you did.

If you read MY post, you would have found that bieng FRIENDLY to others would be good racing ethics. Obviously, you have none of this.
I have no reason to be any more friendly to the next facer than they are to myself, and if they don't follow the rules of courteous driving then I don't either. But if you had actually read my post you would have picked up on that MOM!
I can still remember my newbie days and know that certain things were expected of the new guys, though maybe you had it easy or thought you had some unalienable rights by paying your entry fee.
But the fact remains that you have no more right lecturing me than I do lecturing someone else whose post I find offending, so if you're going to continue your foot in your mouth I suggest looking in the mirror first.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

If you'd followed the thread you'd have noted I didn't ridicule anyone until they started supporting an idea that they could do as they pleased even if it affected race outcomes, igonored announcer calls or the move-over flag, all because they thought they had some sort of rights.
Which nobody does.
Discourteous and hazardous behavior can get one booted from any track, I guess other than ones in the backhills of Virginia - but I guess you're fine with that since it'll soon be just you and all the newbies you can invite to 301.
Don't want to say where you race huh? Afraid the people you race with will know what an ass you're making of yourself on here? I guess that's understandable. I wouldn't people to know who I was if I were you either. You are good for a laugh though, how old are you? I'm guessing you haven't hit puberty yet since you think you're such a professional driver and any good driver out there wouldn't talk like you do. I'm going to do us all a favor and not respond to your nonsense anymore. See ya'll in the backhills, yehaw! Later Snoopy
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

JET MD, dude, you always have to start crap with people and ruin threads. Cut it out allready. Lets get back on topic. Keyboard warriors
Old 06-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Who do I think I am?
I wasn't aware that I had to report to you here MOM!

I would guess I read more of yours, and especially followed this thread from the beginning more, than you did.

I have no reason to be any more friendly to the next facer than they are to myself, and if they don't follow the rules of courteous driving then I don't either. But if you had actually read my post you would have picked up on that MOM!
I can still remember my newbie days and know that certain things were expected of the new guys, though maybe you had it easy or thought you had some unalienable rights by paying your entry fee.
But the fact remains that you have no more right lecturing me than I do lecturing someone else whose post I find offending, so if you're going to continue your foot in your mouth I suggest looking in the mirror first.

The entire english language is at your disposal, and you call me mama?

At least you arent at my LHS. We are mature enough to have a good time without bashing away cars, or our important Newcommers.

Love, mom.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Slamming slower cars is not racing and we run these cars at race tracks.Yes 301 is a great track and everyone so far has been very cool and helpful.I was worried at first that the racers would be ignorant but everyone there is great.That is part of the reason why I bought my mrx from cwhitts.Chris came up to me when I had the rs4 and without even asking me started helping me out with my car.If you are a newb to onroad like me try not to ask a million questions in one day because that can become annoying (sorry guys).And when the guys help you out try to return the favor when they could use it and thank them.I think the biggest things are try to be courteous and have fun.Also don't forget to support the local hobbyshop.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetMD
See ya'll in the backhills, yehaw!
please don't tell us any stories about marrying your sister or cousin

The entire english language is at your disposal, and you call me mama?
Just callin' 'em like I see 'em.

Originally Posted by sm1nts2escape
Slamming slower cars is not racing and we run these cars at race tracks.
This was never about slammer slower cars, you really should have read the entire thread and caught hold of the tone of things and how they changed.

They changed simply with one poster....vvvvvvvv

Originally Posted by rccartips
just my own thoughts, newbies ignore faster drivers. race fee is same for everyone, you deserve to run without worrying about anything else.

faster drivers, learn to overtake newbies, else might find races to be 3 - 4 people per heat as newbies will quit. racing is about racing, not about moving over for 30 minutes letting faster drivers pass.

maybe getting rid of the "lapping" rule/etiquette will encourage slower drivers to keep racing cauze after a while it gets boring worrying about letting faster drivers pass. its exciting for the newbies as they can experience real racing defending their position even if they are being lapped. for faster drivers, it can be practise to improve their overtaking skills and increase racing battles in the heat.
And this was just plain dumb.............................................. .
Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I agree that it is good manners for slower drivers to allow faster drivers to easily pass. That is common ideal throughout all forms of racing from model racing to full scale.

However, it is interesting that no other sport follows this type of logic. Take football or baseball for example. At the end of the season when a first place team matches up against the last place team, nobody expects the last place team to roll over or play dead just so the first place team can get another win and therefor have a better standing in the playoffs. In fact, playing the role of "spoiler" is celebrated in all major sports. Even though a win or a loss has no real meaning anymore to a last place team, that team is still expected to play 100% and pride....even if that means knocking out the better team out of the playoffs.

However, this doesn't not apply to racing...back markers are expected allow faster drivers to easily pass.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default racing

hi guys,

for those who disagree with me, i fully respect your opinions and do agree to an extent.

in real racing, lap times are over 60 seconds per lap, makes sense for slower cars to move over. in rc racing there are laps of only 12 secs, not really fair to start letting lapping drivers pass without a fight. 12 secs can easily be recovered by one accident.

ive seen lots of racers on same lap taking advantage of this, lapping a car in front cauze car in front thought he was being lapped.

RocketRob40, you are entitled to your opinion, i do know your point of view and yes i do let faster driver pass. just not a good formula for newbies like me who have been racing since 1978

403forbidden, i like your point. sport and competition should be just that, and wins or positions not handed over a silver plate. must be earned. picture this, i let someone pass, then later he gets in an accident but wins by 1 sec... if I did not let him pass he would not have won.

its just my thoughts, not imposing on others to follow it. just showing a different point of view.

have fun! help newbies, insulting posts do not help the hobby.

Last edited by rccartips; 06-26-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
JET MD, dude, you always have to start crap with people and ruin threads. Cut it out allready. Lets get back on topic. Keyboard warriors
Yes, you're right. I'm the bad guy for trying to help new people. Maybe I should bash them like your buddy does. On second thought, I'd rather help someone new than win a race but that's just me. Hate me if you want, that's your choice. Talk to anyone that knows me though and i'm sure they'll tell you that I help more than I race. Is that a bad thing?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

hi guys,

for those who disagree with me, i fully respect your opinions and do agree to an extent.

in real racing, lap times are over 60 seconds per lap, makes sense for slower cars to move over. in rc racing there are laps of only 12 secs, not really fair to start letting lapping drivers pass without a fight. 12 secs can easily be recovered by one accident.

ive seen lots of racers on same lap taking advantage of this, lapping a car in front cauze car in front thought he was being lapped.

RocketRob40, you are entitled to your opinion, i do know your point of view and yes i do let faster driver pass. just not a good formula for newbies like me who have been racing since 1978 and more often than not, i do a lot of the lapping... yet I do not like that rule.

403forbidden, i like your point. sport and competition should be just that, and wins or positions not handed over a silver plate. must be earned. picture this, i let someone pass, then later he gets in an accident but wins by 1 sec... if I did not let him pass he would not have won.

its just my thoughts, not imposing on others to follow it. just showing a different point of view.

have fun! help newbies, insulting posts do not help the hobby.
I guess we all have opinions on every aspect of this thread. I disagree with some of these post.

Being a newbee even if you pay the same entry fee, does not entittle you to wreck or cause a wreck that puts an end to my fun. If I can go fast I am. I also understand that accidents will happen, but they are accidents. The fact that you feel that you should not move for a faster car only tells me that you don't have the time to practice therefore everyone has to slow down to make you look good. It's racing, how fast you can go, not how slow. If this is the case they should come out with a 24 year endurance race at a max speed of 10 miles an hour. On the other hand, Fast and experience guys (gals) should not take out and should help the newbees. Newbees: do your homework, nothing comes for free, sorry!

People are under the impression that the better the equiptment the faster you can go, this only holds true if you have the skills necesary to do so, it is unfortunate that these new expensive cars, speedos, radios don't come with skills. So spend some time practicing and stop complaining aboute fast people.

Sorry for the harsh truth. LEAD, FOLLOW, GET OUT THE WAY. When the race/qualifier leader is following you, Get out the way. This is the way it is in all types of racing.

You will live happier if you don't brag aboute your rod, because the day you have to show it, it might not be what you thought you had. Just practice and drive as good as you can.

Attention: This post is only the opinion of Oscar and is not the opinion of his sponsors.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:05 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

I always drive the fastest laptimes if i'm NOT fighting anybody for position.
This is why I always let the faster driver pass by.
My strongest point is not making the fastest laptimes, but making no mistakes AT ALL and drive really consistant during a 30 minutes final. This is why I often end higher then some faster drivers.....

I agree on the point that a newbee should let a faster driver pass, but I am also very well aware that a newbee might need all his concentration to drive his car, so he just might sometimes mis what is happening around him....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.