Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
OS 12TZ 3port (Not speed tuned) >

OS 12TZ 3port (Not speed tuned)

OS 12TZ 3port (Not speed tuned)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default OS 12TZ 3port (Not speed tuned)

Just picked it up today and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this engine and can give me a quick heads up on what to expect and if I should be aware of anything? Opinions and advice welcome.

It will go into my Mugen MTX3. Oldie but goodie. Shes still running strong and I really enjoy running it. I'm just messing around for now, not racing or anything. I mainly take it out for practice runs but my track will be having a few club races so I might give that a shot. Mainly looking for any info I can on the 12TZ before I take it out and start breaking it in.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

it has VERY tight pinch so heat it to 160+, with blow dryer/heat gun, before you start for break-in.

the carb adj is sensitive, when people say 'one-hour' go a half

it holds tune well and is easy to tune

it has good torque

the skyine or os speed pipes are great

most likely you will use a #7 plug
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Jay! Good tip on the heat gun. My good buddy has a really nice one so Ill definitely be borrowing it.

Ive heard about the carb being extra sensitive so Ill watch out for that.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

As per the manual, it requires that the engine be broken in on the track and running for its first tank. Obviously not at high speeds but conservatively for the first few tanks. I know there are a ton of different methods to break in engines and Ive used them all but should I at least run one tank at idle before putting it down on the track?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the first 2 tanks, everyone is different , I like to kinda idle it on the box but varying the throttle up and down and real fat no at full throttle no big rpm, keep eye on temp so you are around 180-200
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

thanks Jay!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OS makes great motors, i have SEVERAL going as far back as the 12cv red block head. you will love it, should last forever, keep an eye on temps.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Takes a long time to break-in. The pinch is very tight and will take many attempts to get going. Have a heat gun and a flathead ready to turn the flywheel over.

After break in, this engine likes to run on the hot side...>230F. Also needs a few laps before get to optimum temp. At the track, do not adjust the needles till you get a 3-4 laps.

I got about 3 gallons on mine until I sold it. The best thing about the TZ is that rebuilds (piston/sleeve/rod) only costs $60 bucks or so.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KrackerG
OS makes great motors, i have SEVERAL going as far back as the 12cv red block head. you will love it, should last forever, keep an eye on temps.
Yeah thats what led to me buying the 12TZ. I just blew my old 12TR that I bought used and abused. It must have had more than 10 gallons through it (minimum) and that engine was never opened. I knew I would be getting a new engine so I just wanted to see how much longer that engine would last. I pretty much leaned it out as far as it would go and ran it hard and fast. Thing ran like a bat out of hell till the piston blew. I was impressed at how fast it went and how much abuse it withstood. Well I was so impressed that it led me to buy the new TZ.

Cant wait to get it broken in and running but I wont be putting this one through the torture test of its predecessor.

KrackerG - Thanks for chiming in!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dnitro
After break in, this engine likes to run on the hot side...>230F. Also needs a few laps before get to optimum temp. At the track, do not adjust the needles till you get a 3-4 laps.
Thanks for the tip dnitro! Ill make sure I check it often and make sure its running at the optimum temp.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Location: West Ozzie living in Merrigum...Shepparton...Victoria
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Use P3 glow plugs also.