Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI MINI NITRO THREAD POST ANYTHING/PICS ALSO. >

HPI MINI NITRO THREAD POST ANYTHING/PICS ALSO.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI MINI NITRO THREAD POST ANYTHING/PICS ALSO.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking hpi super chassis nitro mini

fast harry
i sent pm
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking hpi super chassis nitro mini

i like the mini cooper , where you get the body?

Last edited by alienracer; 06-25-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: already posted previous text. thanks
Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Does anybody know where I can get a selection of body shells with a 225 wheel base to fit the HPI MINI RS4 Nitro chassis please. I bought one of these at a garage sale which runs fine but the shell, honda civic, is a bit tatty. I know these chassis can be changes to a W/B of 208, will this make it easier to find a shell?.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skipper John
Does anybody know where I can get a selection of body shells with a 225 wheel base to fit the HPI MINI RS4 Nitro chassis please. I bought one of these at a garage sale which runs fine but the shell, honda civic, is a bit tatty. I know these chassis can be changes to a W/B of 208, will this make it easier to find a shell?.
You can use any of the Tamiya mini bodies or the bodies for the ABC Hobby mini cars.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Reviving from the dead, just like the nitro mini I'm trying to get back on the road. Has anybody had negative experiences with the finger style 2 speeds with "newer", stronger engines? looking at either an OS .12tz, or a traxxas 2.5r. They seem to be the only things I can find with the old standard shaft option. If so, has anybody successfully used r40 gears/2spd on a belt nitro rs4? Thanks for any input
Old 02-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by probowler2286
Reviving from the dead, just like the nitro mini I'm trying to get back on the road. Has anybody had negative experiences with the finger style 2 speeds with "newer", stronger engines? looking at either an OS .12tz, or a traxxas 2.5r. They seem to be the only things I can find with the old standard shaft option. If so, has anybody successfully used r40 gears/2spd on a belt nitro rs4? Thanks for any input
I've been running a "finger" style 2 speed in my HPI Nitro 3, HPI Racer 2, and HPI nitro mini forever, and with all sorts of different engines over the years including an .18 TZ and no issues yet.
The R40 gears have been my best kept secret honestly, most people don't even think about using them but they are your best friend for achieving high top speeds. A couple things to keep in mind, the nitro 3 clutch bell uses the same thread size for both first and second gear, whereas the R40 first gear shares the same size thread as the nitro 3, but the R40 second gear pinions are a larger thread. So to really use the entire range of R40 pinions you really need to run the R40 clutchbell. However the R40 clutchbell is only for a centax style clutch, so you need an entire R40 clutch/flywheel assembly. The good news however is that those centax's require an SG shaft engine anyways so they are plentiful. If you run the R40 clutch then you will also need new engine mounts as the centax aligns differently than a standard centrifugal clutch. I'm not sure if there are any readily available though, I ended up just making my own out of aluminum.
I personally have been running an R40 second gear pinion with a nitro 3 first gear pinion, and it fits fine in my racer 2. The racer 2 uses all the same parts as the nitro mini in the transmission area. You could run both R40 first and second gear pinions but you would need to trim some off the first gear as they have some extra material that would interfere with the side belt.
I've honestly exhausted this topic in my quest for top speed and I've bought just about every threaded pinion that was available. Just as a reference the stock R40 and nitro 3 gears are module 1 pitch, I know there are also module 0.6 gears available as an option for the R40 so make sure you don't get confused by that and mix the 2. Serpant sells a centax clutch as a whole unit, but honestly I don't remember if their clutchbell has the same thread as the hpi's or not.
This is probably a lot to take in, but to answer your question, yes R40 gears will work, it just depends on how deep your pockets are. Keep in mind all of these HPI spur and pinions are getting pretty rare to find as well, so that just complicates things further.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's mine: https://fyrstormer-rc.blogspot.com/2...-rs4-mini.html