Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gecko Foams

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default Gecko Foams

Anyone over in America using Gecko Foams yet?
In the UK the Geckos have taken off BIG time..be it 10th electric, 18th offroad or 10th nitro (although its normally wet half of the time here! LOL)

I got this from Richard, the man at Adams Racing:

Adams Racing Limited is a new UK based manufacturer of high performance foam rubber tyres for remote controlled model racing cars. Adams racing Limited were established in 2004 with the aim to develop a completely new improved closed cell foam rubber technology going right back to the start of the process and changing many of the process steps - for a far better product. We basically mould our tyres individually and then machine to guarantee consistent all round properties using our own compounds. We also use our own wheels with physical properties to match application and all with a unique Gecko® pad design. We are now making tyres that are very different to, and give a far better performance than any other foam rubber tyre on the market known to us – particularly the 1/10th scale 'Electric Gecko®' tyre used indoors on carpet, lino & wood race surfaces.

The 1/10th Electric Gecko® tyres have achieved outstanding results in recent UK 1/18th scale BRCA Micro Nationals on e.g. 1/18th Blaze/Duratrax and 1/10th Electric touring car drivers are moving over to Gecko® foams from other well known foam tyre brands and gaining 2 to 3 laps almost straight away - with no additive. The improved traction is achieved with far better and more even wear resistance & better chunk resistance.

The new 1/10th Nitro Gecko® tyres, launched in January 2008, translate this performance to IC/Nitro on-road cars on asphalt and we expect to make a similar impact through 2008.

We think drivers of almost any experience level will be able to see the difference compared to all other foam tyres immediately.

For more details on our 1/10th scale Gecko® foam rubber tyres please see our web site at www.adamsracing.co.uk Please also read the read the many favourable comments written about our Electric Gecko® tyres on the leading UK 1/18th scale Micro forum at www.uk-microrc.co.uk – see 'Gecko Tyres' in the traders section.

In the last few months we have gone to market and already have established Microtech Racing Limited as our major UK retailer - please see www.microtechracing.com for product details. Gecko tyres can also be purchased directly from the online shop at www.geckotyres.com which is happy to take orders from around the world.
They ship directly to the USA at the moment and rumour has it that afew of your big distributors are really keen to push em out?

If your usign Geckos at the moment let me know what you think of them..we're always keen to hear feedback

All the best

Cris
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Just thought id post up a pic of the wheels for you all to have a look at

The nitro compound wheels are yellow, the white wheels are for electric compound

Hope you like!

Again, if any of you have experience with Gecko foams please let me know how you find them so I can feed the information back

All the best,

Cris
Attached Thumbnails Gecko Foams-arlgecko.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Obviously no one in the US has discovered Gecko's!

Really worth a go guys (and gals)! Really hard to chunk. Excellent wear rate. Unbeatable grip. Oh and the price is damn good too!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'd be interested in these. How much are they?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Rookie

They are £6.64 here in the UK.
You can e-mail Richard direct on either of these and he'll sort you out...
[email protected] or [email protected]

HTH
Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

whats that price in american?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats like $10.31 a pair + shipping....If they get an american distributor I'll be willing to check them out.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Making 1/8th onroad tires yet?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Only problem for carpet racing is that they are all 26mm. Jaco did have success a couple years ago with a 26mm rim, but most seem to like 28mm rims. Not to mention they don't give a rim diameter.

Still, at $10 a pair, I think a lot of guys would be willing to try them.

edit:xe.com says 6.64 GBP is $13, but still not bad.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.co...ucts.php?cat=9

Jacos and Xceeds are $9.99 at Kamikaze, and no shipping added.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

To be honest I have no idea what foams cost in the US. I just know that is a damn good price here in the UK.

Gecko are trying to get a US distributor, but like you say, they are 26mm - not 28mm. But who cares when you're winning! Just gear it to suit.

I race 1/10th Electric TC (Yokomo BD) and the Geckos offer far more grip and last longer than the top name brands I have tried.

I guess the only thing really is try them and make your own minds up!
Give Richard an e-mail, he's a really helpful guy and knows his stuff.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default More on Gecko foams

The Gecko Electric Rear compound has better chunk resistance than the Gecko Electric Front compound, if that is an issue with drivers. You can use Rears all round just e.g. go harder on the front by 2 to 5 Shore points depending on how much steering you like.

Adams Racing Limited (who make the Gecko foam rubber tyres) are currently developing a new range of 1/10th 'Gecko Electric' tyres where you can use them front or rear. These will have even more grip and high overall chunk and wear resistance. They should be available by middle July.

Anyone can currently purchase 1/10th Gecko Electric & 1/10th Gecko Nitro tyres at Microtech Racing Limited who have a '6 for the price of 5' deal i.e. £5.53/pair if you buy 6 pairs ($10.7 USD/pair including any tax charged). see www.geckotyres.com for more details

Adams Racing Limited should also have a range of 1/12th carpet tyres available by early September. As with the the 1/10th Gecko Electric tyres, early tests show extremely high (& unbeatable so far) levels of grip and good wear & chiunk resustance.

Adams Racing are curruently in negotiations with major american distributors and a recommended distributor should be nominated by the end of August.