Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Problems with Axe Rossi engines >

Problems with Axe Rossi engines

Problems with Axe Rossi engines

Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Problems with Axe Rossi engines

Please chime in and tell me if you have any problems with your Axe rossi engines and tell me what problems you have had.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yea they are 2 expensive for such a crap engine
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbenthobbies
Please chime in and tell me if you have any problems with your Axe rossi engines and tell me what problems you have had.

What are the factory (default) settings for the front and rear low end needles on a AXE Rossi LS1. Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

They are overly expensive, offer sub par performance and like to break.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've had no issues with them. At least with the offroad motors.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

I have an LS1 and it is quite frankly the slowest engine I have ever run in a 1/8 on-road car. On the other hand, before the name AXE was added, I had and sold several Black Magic off-road engines. They were very impressive!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by duneland
I have an LS1 and it is quite frankly the slowest engine I have ever run in a 1/8 on-road car. On the other hand, before the name AXE was added, I had and sold several Black Magic off-road engines. They were very impressive!

Don't say that Duneland. I just picked up an LS1; I thought it would be a decent engine. I have a Pixie 12 also it's a good little engine. I just finished breakin it in but I have not tuned it at the track yet.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

connecting rod,..... connecting rod,.... another connecting rod..... EZ to BREAK!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ive also seen the cranks break as well. I wouldnt say the Rossi's before AXE were good either. Ive seen a Rossi Maranello and that is a horrible engine.

Lil bump, you should have got the 35 Plus 21 from that guy.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by German Muscle
ive also seen the cranks break as well. I wouldnt say the Rossi's before AXE were good either. Ive seen a Rossi Maranello and that is a horrible engine.

the only crankcase that i broke is the collari b7...... they are so weak.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Good luck Lil bump!
To put things in perspective, I used to import Rossi (not exclusive). I sold a number of Black Magics and a few Silver Arrows. A racer in Mexico bought a bunch of Black Pixies.. he bought quite a few. Said with the right mods it was the motor to have in touring. My Black Magic could NOT be touched by a Nova Rossi! I had better accelleration, speed, and fuel economy. When I unpacked the first one I was amazed by the machining. It had virtually NO pinch, yet it had incredible compression. With the glow plug removed it could be turned over easily. With the plug in, it was a beast to turn over. It took 7 1/2 gallons of fuel before I could turn it over by hand while installed on the chassis. This indicates a very high level of prescision. Several guys had rods let go pre-maturely. Mine let go before the end of the 8th gallon of fuel. Not too bad, but the failure turned out to be a clearance issue between the piston skirt and edge of rod. There was another sport off-road engine that I sold a few of, and no problems were ever reported from those. The pixies that went to Mexico got good reviews. A friend of mine has a Maranello that he likes OK. He also has several Nova based .21 on-road engines. He does NOT prefer the Maranello, but it works pretty good.
After my experiences with the Rossi of old, I was shocked at the lack of performance and prescision machining in the LS1. I may take it apart and rmove a bunch of metal from it's various moving parts, in an attempt to make it into something other than an expensive paper weight. If it blows up, it can still perform that function.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by German Muscle

Now you tell me I was only looking for a decent club engine. I have a RB C6 as my work horse. Wish me luck I'm already ticked that this engine uses a special slanted header. Normal headers hit the cooling head before you get a good seal. Oh well You live and learn
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Good luck Lil bump!
To put things in perspective, I used to import Rossi (not exclusive). I sold a number of Black Magics and a few Silver Arrows. A racer in Mexico bought a bunch of Black Pixies.. he bought quite a few. Said with the right mods it was the motor to have in touring. My Black Magic could NOT be touched by a Nova Rossi! I had better accelleration, speed, and fuel economy. When I unpacked the first one I was amazed by the machining. It had virtually NO pinch, yet it had incredible compression. With the glow plug removed it could be turned over easily. With the plug in, it was a beast to turn over. It took 7 1/2 gallons of fuel before I could turn it over by hand while installed on the chassis. This indicates a very high level of prescision. Several guys had rods let go pre-maturely. Mine let go before the end of the 8th gallon of fuel. Not too bad, but the failure turned out to be a clearance issue between the piston skirt and edge of rod. There was another sport off-road engine that I sold a few of, and no problems were ever reported from those. The pixies that went to Mexico got good reviews. A friend of mine has a Maranello that he likes OK. He also has several Nova based .21 on-road engines. He does NOT prefer the Maranello, but it works pretty good.
After my experiences with the Rossi of old, I was shocked at the lack of performance and prescision machining in the LS1. I may take it apart and rmove a bunch of metal from it's various moving parts, in an attempt to make it into something other than an expensive paper weight. If it blows up, it can still perform that function.
Thanks for the info. Thru breakin it went pretty well. I ran about 11 tanks thru on a prop. The only problem I had was getting the engine up to temp. I wrap the head in alluminum foil and then covered that with my son's sock. I put the engine in the car and started running circles. Has decent low end but I can't really tell with a dusty parking lot surface. The carb is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE. I might have a small air leak;once the engine is up to temp if I blip the throttle the engine RPM's raise and return to normal but about 2 seconds later they raise again for about 5 seconds and then drop back to normal. I'm going to play with the third needle to see if that helps. Again I need to put it on the track and see how it reponds. Again thanks for the info
Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Lord

My Black Magic could NOT be touched by a Nova Rossi! I had better accelleration, speed, and fuel economy.
Does that say something about your engine or the knowledge and experience about the Novarossi driver(s) ?
My last personal experience with Rossi was 17 years ago with the Serpent P6 engine. I had 2 of them, one stock and one team modified and the modified one was fast.

The last 2 years there are 2 or 3 drivers running the Cobra engines in the dutch nationals. All I can say is that they are for sure not the fastest motors and for the money you can get for instance 2x a JP P7L which I believe is still a better performing engine.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

While i didnt have as much experience with the older onroad motors the Black Magic and LSK where exceptional motors.
My Black Magic is still running in my truggy and has been through 90+ liters and still runs great. Since 2005 when i bought it i have changed bearings 3 times and rods 2 times and its till has great compression.
As for the Maranello onroad motor they were sought after in the uS for Drag racing and some guys swore they where the best for the application, obviously these where highly modified.
I will have to aggree the onroad motors dont come close to what they should be compared to the offroad versions that are simply awesome.
The Cobra EvoX is absolutely astounding in performance and run time.
I have a .12 Cobra in my G4S and it needs some extra work to be competitive for sure, my old Pr12 motors make it look stupid.

Axe is making great progress lately and i beklieve there is some new onroad motors coming out shortly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.