Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing? >

How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola rc body?Bracing?

Hey guys just built my first 1/8 onroad kit and am not use to having flimsy bodies like this as I have always run nitro mt before.How do you guys brace your bodys up so they won't flap all around?Please post a couple pics.This is a central body.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?-picture-118d.jpg  

Last edited by sm1nts2escape; 05-31-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: easier for search.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Parma sells a brace kit.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you can make your own bracing from body cutoffs. Some people use servo tape to secure them and others use aluminum pop rivets. parma and protoform include stiffeners with their bodies, just take a look at some bodies at the track for guidance. from parma:

http://www.shopatron.com/img/product...763548458e.jpg

you can just take a cutoff, put a pair of 45degree bends and attach.

i notice that you have clearance between the rear body and support. most people put screws in the support , but i like to shoe goo a piece of EPP foam cut to fill the void. (usually 3/8" thick by 1/2" by 3/4" does it. (this way i don't have to change settings to use a hudy toe-in gauge)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Adept

SERPENT SELLS BODY STIFFNERS,THE BEST I HAVE SEEN PART #1732
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

I test glued some peices of scrap lexan together to see if I could brace it with scrap lexan and ca glue and the bond seems to be very good and doesn't mess up the paint.Has anyone mounted stiffners with ca before?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sm1nts2escape
I test glued some peices of scrap lexan together to see if I could brace it with scrap lexan and ca glue and the bond seems to be very good and doesn't mess up the paint.Has anyone mounted stiffners with ca before?
CA cracks over time, use goop next time.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I see way too many braces littering race tracks with tape or glue left on them to ever trust it. Pop rivets or the little 4-40 screws and nylon nuts Protoform use are the only way to go.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used a very thin thin piece of carbon fiber I got from taps plastic. The rear of this body was so thin, that it would "flab" under speed. I made a small stencil of the rear wheel well to get the exact fit. What's nice about it is that it doesn't weigh anything, added reinforcement without the bulky braces, and it simply looks kewl. Performance and cosmatics at it's best.
Attached Thumbnails How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?-mounted-2.jpg   How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?-mounted-1.jpg   How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?-mrx-4r.jpg  
Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roger
I used a very thin thin piece of carbon fiber I got from taps plastic. The rear of this body was so thin, that it would "flab" under speed. I made a small stencil of the rear wheel well to get the exact fit. What's nice about it is that it doesn't weigh anything, added reinforcement without the bulky braces, and it simply looks kewl. Performance and cosmatics at it's best.
Nice Roger!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

1. Buy L shape body stiffener. I think Serpent has one. Or simply make your own from unused lexan body.

2. Use a transparent sticker to add 1 layer inside the body. It will protect the paint & make the side wall feel thicker too.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roger
...what are you using to attach the fiber??...............shoo-goo???.......they could still be removable and reused ???.............. this???..... http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=100&
Old 05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...what are you using to attach the fiber??...............shoo-goo???.......they could still be removable and reused ???.............. this???..... http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=100&
Thats the piece. It's " RAW " carbon fiber without the clear top resin. Yes, I used shoo-goo to attach it. I used a very thin layer of it. As for using it again, I guess if you can break the seal, you can re-use it. The carbon fiber is very strong and holds its structure very well. I wasn't planning on re-using it. I only made it for this particular MSR body just because the lexan that came out of the mold was fairly thin; especially in the area where I reinforced it with carbon fiber.

Last edited by Roger; 05-26-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: additional 411
Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Most bodies come with braces, they are simple 90 degree braces about 1 1/2 inches long that most guys put behind the front tires, and in front and behind the rear tires.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Just in case anybody else is new and is trying to figure this out here is how I did mine.This is a brace kit that I pulled out of a bag from a pro-line protoform body.The brace kit is very nice and helps out alot.I used a couple scrap peices of lexan to extend the brace in some areas that I thought needed it.I attached the braces with the nice little blue screws and nylon nuts that come with it and applied some clear silicone to the lexan stiffners before tightening down the screws to give it just alittle more strength and keep the scrap bracing in place.Hopefully the nitro fuel will not eat the silicone.I tried ca glueing test peices together and although the bond is very strong you can can rip the paint off the body if it cracks.You have to be careful drilling the screw holes cause you can push the sides of the body out too far or pull the body in too much where it will rub the tires.If you mess up alittle bit you can take a lighter and hold in on the brace and the brace will become weak then move the outside of the body where you want it and hold it there till it cools.Just make sure you don't hold the lighter there to long as you can catch the lexan on fire.Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?-picture-143f.jpg   How to fix flimsy 1/8 lola body?Bracing?-picture-145f.jpg