Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Byron's challenge 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mark is extremely upset with me for my suggestion that the track is the proper place to have a 'vote' and not on a forum. I was merely speaking from my experience running my own track. Only a small percentage of racers are on these forums, so it's not possible to have a fair vote on-line.

Leisure Hours will often have a vote during the driver's meeting to decide things like length of mains and length of qualifiers, etc. Even at their biggest race of the year (Chi-Town shoot-out) they had a vote for number of qualifiers to run, so it's not an outlandish idea.

I still don't think that what I said was so out of line (Mark's own post regarding the schedule says 'schedule subject to change'), but I do apologize to him and his wife for upsetting them so much.

I love Leisure Hours and want nothing more than for this race and the facility itself to continue to be successful. And I think Byron's makes the best fuel, hands down, and I think the Byron's Challenge is one of the best race events of the year. And my hat goes off to anyone who steps up to help put on a race as Mark does for this race and Byron's does to sponsor it.

And if anyone has trouble finding a pit guy for the 10-minute qualifiers, look me up. I'm always willing to help out wherever I can, and I know a lot of other racers are as well.

Here's looking forward to a great race weekend.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Rookie

I don’t understand. You must surly be mistaken. Mark, get extremely upset for you making the right decision? Let’s take a vote at the track when all the racers are there.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Something to do Saturday night

Especially for you 'out of towners' coming in for this event, just wanted to let you know that the nearby Rt.66 Speedway will be having a very popular event on Saturday night on their 1/2 mile dirt oval: team demolition.

If you're looking for something to do after the RC qualifying is over on Saturday, consider driving about 5 miles or so straight East of Leisure Hours Raceway for this event.

Basically, two teams of 4 cars each on the track at the same time. First team to have one of their cars complete some number of laps (5 or 10 or something, I can't remember) wins the round... no other rules.

Track opens at 5pm with the team demolition starting at 7:15pm, so that should dovetail nicely with the Byron's race schedule.

These events have sold out in the past, and I'm not sure if advanced tickets can still be purchased.

This link has some information:

http://www.chicagolandspeedway.com/c...&event_id=2104

It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

I hope Mark isn't really upset with any of us for making our preferences known. For my part, I don't have any 'strong' feelings with regard to the 5 min vs. 10 minute qual. 10 min qualifying does offer something different for many, and has it's appeal. I have to withdraw my 'vote' anyway, since it is unlikely that I will be able to attend. I am out of resources, but will likely stop by on Sunday to watch or help out.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Walt
Especially for you 'out of towners' coming in for this event, just wanted to let you know that the nearby Rt.66 Speedway will be having a very popular event on Saturday night on their 1/2 mile dirt oval: team demolition.

If you're looking for something to do after the RC qualifying is over on Saturday, consider driving about 5 miles or so straight East of Leisure Hours Raceway for this event.

Basically, two teams of 4 cars each on the track at the same time. First team to have one of their cars complete some number of laps (5 or 10 or something, I can't remember) wins the round... no other rules.

Track opens at 5pm with the team demolition starting at 7:15pm, so that should dovetail nicely with the Byron's race schedule.

These events have sold out in the past, and I'm not sure if advanced tickets can still be purchased.

This link has some information:

http://www.chicagolandspeedway.com/c...&event_id=2104

It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening.
Are they sure they want to do that? 8 cars on the track at the same time seems like a lot for a small track. I vote for only 2 cars per team and 5 1/2 lap races.

See ya all Friday!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Auto roller derby! Whoo hoo!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Auto roller derby! Whoo hoo!!!!
Socko, see ya this weekend Bro!!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

8Th Scale

Mike Swauger
Mark Sweeney
Harry Hananouchi
Ira Schulz
Ira Armstead
Bill Sydor
Mike Saputo
Eric A Jones
Aaron Buran
Mike Chiaffetti
James Palansky
Rick Vessell
Walt gorczowski
Peter Sheldon
Ron Gustin
Howard Lo
Micheal Palazzola
Don Jones
Bob Block
Mark Klenin
Brent Klenin
Garen Hagobian
Leon Kiggins
Dan Louis
Ted Hammer
Matt Collins

Joe Zaier

10th Scale

Mike Swauger
Jeffry Lin
Ira Schulz
Stephen Lazarus
Anthony Cope
Chris Bozik
Nick Altieri
Loran Whiting
Jeff Whiting
Rick Vessell
Howard Lo
Mike Blake
Jeffrey Fogus
Jacob Smith
leon Kiggins
Justin Olson
Fabio Evangelista
Josh Little
Kenneth Echols
Pat morris
Joe Bratchie

GT Spec Class

Bernie Hoogstra
Bobbo
Walt Gorczowski
Mark Borchert
Mike Lyday
Dave Camray
Ed Case
Bobby J Tondini
Kenneth Echols
Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I am not even coming to this race, but how can you seriously consider changing the format of the race this late in the game. I doubt the length of a qualifier would be a deal breaker for anybody, but changing the format isn't fair to the people that are traveling to this race. IF the majority of the racers vote to change the A-main to a 10 minute length that doesn't make it right. Somebody who flies to the race can't get a refund on all of their expenses. If the format was posted, and you signed up for the race under those rules, then run them as posted. This isn't a one day club race.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I am not even coming to this race, but how can you seriously consider changing the format of the race this late in the game. I doubt the length of a qualifier would be a deal breaker for anybody, but changing the format isn't fair to the people that are traveling to this race. IF the majority of the racers vote to change the A-main to a 10 minute length that doesn't make it right. Somebody who flies to the race can't get a refund on all of their expenses. If the format was posted, and you signed up for the race under those rules, then run them as posted. This isn't a one day club race.
They are not considering it at all. We made some suggestions but it will be run as posted. It will be a fun time just like it was the last few years!!!

Paul
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

What is the limit for entries? Nobody answered RayJ's question and I'm looking for the same answer. I didn't have a chance to mail in an entry form but plan on being there this weekend. Is there a cut-off for sedan?

Andy Power
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Andy,

Just get over here and race! No one will turn you away if you show up. Besides, if you don't come then I won't have anyone to keep me up all night working on their car!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Andy,
We don't have a limit on entries. You can sign up when ever you get there.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Indoor pitting question
Brian was answered that it is first come first served, but what is the limit for indoor pitting?? Need to know if we should bring our tents , table , and chairs
We will be arriving Friday morning.
Bill
Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmclean
Indoor pitting question
Brian was answered that it is first come first served, but what is the limit for indoor pitting?? Need to know if we should bring our tents , table , and chairs
We will be arriving Friday morning.
Bill
Leisure Hours' indoor pits can accomodate well over 100 racers, so there should be no reason why you can't pit inside if you want to this weekend, no matter when you arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.