Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Gas Engines

Why can't companies just make scaled down, 2-stroke gas engines to replace the nitro ones?

This would eliminate the need for glow igniters (-> spark plugs) and starter boxes (-> built in pull start), the fuel would be cheaper (although on the rise, it is still way cheaper than nitro), and the engines themselves would be cheaper because gas engines are used in many other applications.

They would also sound more realistic too. Not as high-pitched and whiny as nitro engines.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

first of all, nitro engines run at around 35,000 - 45,000 rpm, where as gasoline engines run at less than 1/4 of that speed.

and secondly, it would be difficult to make a gasoline engine small enough for 1/10 and 1/8 cars, and even if they did it would be much heavier than a nitro engine.

when you miniaturize something, there comes a point where going any further would make it not work effectively or efficiently.

Hope this helps
Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

But if you were to do it with Desiel fuel, it could be done. I remember reading somewhere about it about 3 years ago where a Russian was building conversion kits to do it, but I don't know much more about it. Let me see if I can find something:

Here: http://davisdieseldevelopment.com/gallery/closelook.htm
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

On another thought, Audi built a race car that ran on Desiel and it was "TOO FAST FOR ITS OWN GOOD."
Read about it here:http://www.leftlanenews.com/audis-di...-own-good.html

The power that the desiel fuel provides with the lubrication will extend the life of a nitro motor ran on desiel 33 times longer!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

also, check this out.....http://davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.php

Sorry for spelling diesel wrong
Old 05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Not to mention, i think gas is more toxic and lower flash point compared to nitro. A much safer fuel in the pit area.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Lord

Oh yes, I have seen small engines (.40ci) running diesel and normal unleaded petrol on base of selfcombustion or small spark plugs. The problem with these fuels is that they can not follow the high revs we need and the concept of a glowplug is giving a pre-ignition on higher revs while with an electronic ignition you have to devellop some kind of motor management.