Search
Like Tree4Likes

Kyosho FW-05R

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
TRAJ,
JordanC was telling me yesterday at our Vic. Titles that he'd gone down to ~ 6-10k in the rear diff of his RRR . . . . something like that, anyway. He also said that Simon Camelleri had done the same thing. You might know that Simon won the event.

Also, doing a search on some of rjl's recent posts re the FW gearing will give you some answers, I'd think. The Lilydale straight is about 70 metres, downhill and his FW handles that easily with all his Kawahara bits.
Thanks for the info Taylor

ill give RJL a pm
Old 01-31-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Marcos.J
i have one for sale if interested!
ygpm
Old 01-31-2005, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by TRAJ
It was a RD logics turbo II

Would the VSW008 5.2 Muffler & Manifold Set be better?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TRAJ
Thanks Joehwee

If i was to go with the FW05RR would you guys think that if it had the Kawahara centre conversion and 1st 22T/ 2nd 27T,28T pinions would it be able to handle a 60-65metre straight? No just handle it but also keep up with the other belt cars? or would the motor get hot and i would need to back off abit?

Thanks
I run on a 50m straight with 21/25 gears with Kawahara.
2nd is only used on the main straight and it is far from revving out.
Now If I could only get a 24T 2nd gear.
Before I got the VSW024 pipe I had a problem with top end, but since I fitted the pipe I have been able to lean out the JP motor to let it scream, but it now stays cooler and gives 8-9 minutes to a tank.
(my driving style struggled to get 5¼ with V-one R)
Old 01-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by NiMo
Before I got the VSW024 pipe I had a problem with top end, but since I fitted the pipe I have been able to lean out the JP motor to let it scream, but it now stays cooler and gives 8-9 minutes to a tank.
Hi Nimo

Since you are familiar with this engine, would like to ask you a few qs....if you dont mind..... !

How good an investment is the JP FX t-05 -- selling for 400$ at rcmodel.

How many times have you changed the piston on it ? where did u get it ?

one site i saw has a full modified version and a FULL OPTIONS version with a 50$ diff in the latter would you know what that means by any chance.

thanks in advance......
Old 01-31-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by NiMo
You're way overgeared for that track especially when coupled with the Kawahara ring gears. No wonder you're getting 8 to 9 minute runs per tank. It's like driving 1st gear and then straight shift to 3rd gear driving in a small town with a 1:1 car...

Using the shortest gear ratio combo (25/46), you'd still be at 4.98 on the FDR. Coupled with 63 to 65 mm tires, you're geared for the moon.

If you think that if Kyosho coming out something like a 24T 2nd gear would help your situation, try something like 62 mm tires or lower.

You get equivalent tire rollout using say 62 mm tires with Kawahara ring gears and 25/46 combo compared to say using 65 mm tires with Kawahara ring gears and 24/46 combo for example... Smaller tires are the key to optimising tire rollout / top speed when the pinions and spurs don't cut it themselves.

But of course, you and I know that the 24T 2nd gear pinion is not going to happen. I mean how many would run the Kawahara ring gears to want a shorter gear ratio that when it's already ultra short with stock or 39T / 38T or even 37T ring gears?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
You're way overgeared for that track especially when coupled with the Kawahara ring gears. No wonder you're getting 8 to 9 minute runs per tank. It's like driving 1st gear and then straight shift to 3rd gear driving in a small town with a 1:1 car...

Using the shortest gear ratio combo (25/46), you'd still be at 4.98 on the FDR. Coupled with 63 to 65 mm tires, you're geared for the moon.

If you think that if Kyosho coming out something like a 24T 2nd gear would help your situation, try something like 62 mm tires or lower.

You get equivalent tire rollout using say 62 mm tires with Kawahara ring gears and 25/46 combo compared to say using 65 mm tires with Kawahara ring gears and 24/46 combo for example... Smaller tires are the key to optimising tire rollout / top speed when the pinions and spurs don't cut it themselves.

But of course, you and I know that the 24T 2nd gear pinion is not going to happen. I mean how many would run the Kawahara ring gears to want a shorter gear ratio that when it's already ultra short with stock or 39T / 38T or even 37T ring gears?
Shhh! don't tell Slow, it will upset him more to think that an overgeared car can beat him
Old 01-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by uaerc
Hi Nimo

Since you are familiar with this engine, would like to ask you a few qs....if you dont mind..... !

How good an investment is the JP FX t-05 -- selling for 400$ at rcmodel.

How many times have you changed the piston on it ? where did u get it ?

one site i saw has a full modified version and a FULL OPTIONS version with a 50$ diff in the latter would you know what that means by any chance.

thanks in advance......
I run the full option JP FX T03 on 16%, it has been in the car since July last year, head was removed to rotate in 45 degrees, but apart from that the motor is untouched, and it still produces more power and torque than any Rossi motor I've had. I will be staying with this JP model for as long as possible.
The rumours about the carb losing its settings are untrue, they hold their setting longer than any other motor I've had, and I only need to adjust it for weather conditions.
How many hours of running has it had? not counted, but I race at my club every 1st and 3rd Sunday, plus I visit the Brookland track, and do the National scene, and practice days, so the motor has had a good 50+ hours of running (Rossi NS3 lasted about 30 hours)
Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ordered teh RR Conversion toady from RCUnion, as well as various plastic parts to rebuild the car to a good condition. Unfortunately the dude who had it before me used some harsh cleaner and it stripped the annodizing from the chassis for the most part (now its s splattered bronze/aluminum kinda thing), and the blue on the shock caps is abused a bit by teh cleaner.

I am not a person all about bling, but I do like a nice looking "serious" machine (not an all aluminum bling rocket) but with the cost of Kyosho parts, I am going to be happy with it instead of replacing anything hehe.

One thing I am not at all about is the cost of the nice chassis for the Kyosho, its not even that nice! The 88 - 100$ Shimo chassis is less nice than the Wolfpack radicals chassis I have on my HPI! hehe I am gunna send my Chassis to wolfgang at woldpack and see if he can whip me up some love hehe

Also can anyone give me some info on the brakes on the Kyosho? Is the stock setup really that bad? is the APP brake setup worth it? I know the person who had this car before me complained that the car had no brakes or they heated up far too fast and by the end of a 15 min main they would be almost gone. Coulda been his driving style... and a 500$ engine he had in it that he just beat on This is the car that won the local track series this last year.

I havent taken the gear boxes apart yet, but what are the stock ring gear size on the FW-05R for the aluminum gears? Looking to replace them with the steel ones as I get closer to racing or maybe a little into the season (need to space out the purchases for this car, its a good bit more expensive than my HPI was)
Old 01-31-2005, 02:48 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

D is 100% correct. With the Kawahara centre conversion it is very easy to overgear, this may cause you to think that your motor is not lean enough and the next thing you know you've overleaned and cooked your motor (more than 7 minutes run time)
Kawahara make 19 and 24 tooth gears and these are ideal for smaller tracks, just shift into second early and use that free roll to take advantage of your motor torque.
I am now using the black flyweights that come with the RRR and have set the clutch up similar to the 710's, .7mm gap and very high stall, do not try this much gap with the white weights as they will come out. This allows me to use higher gearing without cooking the donk.
I will not describe this any further, if you do not know what I'm talking about then set the clutch as per the instructions. It's easy to wear out a clutch shoe in seconds.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rjl
D is 100% correct. With the Kawahara centre conversion it is very easy to overgear, this may cause you to think that your motor is not lean enough and the next thing you know you've overleaned and cooked your motor (more than 7 minutes run time)
There is more to consider than just the gear ratio.
The Kawahara runs much freer, and feels less overgeared than the 39T Kyosho rings.
Also an STS and a Rossi could not pull the Kawahara gearing, but the JP has so much torque it can still spin the wheels with a 21T 1st, and having such a long 1st gear makes running the infield much easier (check the videos on 3hobby.net)
I'm looking in to getting the grey clutch as this would hopefully give a smoother power take up making the car even easier to drive.
You also say anything more than 7 minutes is a cooked motor, well I've been doing 8/9 minutes since October and it's not cooked yet (and I'm running a Touring shell) so what am I doing wrong?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Hey NiMo i installed the center conversion today and i just got my rr conversion in the mail today fast shipping from rc-union shipped out on friday and got it today!
Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Whats a donk??
Old 01-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Okay I'm going to voice MY opinion on the gearing issue.

37T Ring gears or the Kawahara conversion are must haves if you run on a meduim track or larger. If you run the same FDR with 39T ring gears, the motor is going to run hotter than with the 37T gears and equivalent FDR.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by 3434
Whats a donk??
"donk" = engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.