Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Kyosho FW-05R

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I haven't tried the MG but a lot of people are saying the same things you are. The best alfa romeo is by Team Losi. It's more stable than the Protoform but still has tons of steering. Remember: Loose is fast.

I'm on a mission to find 37t ring gears and a 28t pinion. That's all I need to make it the car awesome.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by NiMo
DO NOT HAVE THE GEAR CASE LOOSE!!
The diff and gears will move around and stip themselves and destroy the case.

Use something like the Tamiya Molibunum grease on the diff, it's zero drag.
Thank you very much Nimo!
do you have any ideas why the rear shaft is binding? i notice also when i have it apart i try to pull on the rear shaft from the gearbox and it wont move! could there be a problem here?

Also when taking it apart for the first time i picked up the car to put it on the floor and noticed a o ring seal (small as the ones used on the fuel tank screws!) on the table, does this go somewhere on the rear shaft assembly?

Lucky last question :P
does the stock gears strip easily for everyone? as i notice some guys at my track have never stripped their stock ring gears before. As i might want to reuse the stock ring gears to bring up the acceleration.

I havent yet driven the car yet as i need a front diff. So i really dont know if the kawahara 45/46T ring gears will make the car not as punchy as stock 40T

Thanks in advance guys

Old 08-01-2004, 02:24 AM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

The Kawahara gear ratio is very high, for smaller tracks you would need 19 -24 pinions. The stock cast alloy gears will fail before machined steel gears but they will do quite a few race meetings if you shim correctly and check regularly.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rjl
The Kawahara gear ratio is very high, for smaller tracks you would need 19 -24 pinions. The stock cast alloy gears will fail before machined steel gears but they will do quite a few race meetings if you shim correctly and check regularly.
Hi Rob
How do i know if the shimming is correct?
May i also ask what spurs would i need to use with the 19-24 pinions please? thanks

Last edited by BrainTeased; 08-01-2004 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

here is a pic of Josh Cyrul's FW-05R (TQ)
Old 08-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by jeffreylin
NiMo, also try the Protoform Mazda 6 body. It is the most balanced and stable body I've found thus far. On the foam tire, I will suggest that you try to run the same hardness front and rear. It provide the most balanced handling that way. Finally, I never could get nitro shoes to work for me. Ellegi/Power/Arrow tires works a lot better for me.
Mazda, Did that one as well but i kept spinning out off power with that one, so I cut out the rear window which cured that problem only to find another, the front wheel arches are too low.

To run Nitro Shoes you need to set your car up closer to a Rubber set up as the require a few laps to heat up, but once up to temp they work great (unlike those crap FastTires).
Old 08-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by BrainTeased
Hi Rob
How do i know if the shimming is correct?
May i also ask what spurs would i need to use with the 19-24 pinions please? thanks
Shimming is correst when you have almost zero play but parts still run freely.

I have been running the Kawahara 46T gears with 22/50 1st and 26/45 second, and I have no problem getting out of corners.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can find the rear sway bar made by Five Stars. It is a blade type. I have checked with all online stores that i can find . Only can find 2 that carry it (rcmodel and champ) and neither have it. The part # is FS-5014. Any help would be great.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:56 AM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I have been running the Kawahara 46T gears with 22/50 1st and 26/45 second, and I have no problem getting out of corners.
Club level racing here is mainly on parking lot size tracks, I am overgeared on a larger track than brainteased will be on.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

oh! i need to put my shocks back on and tyres back on and roll it back and foward to see how free the car feels, as maybe the sound is normal! no one at my track has the kawahara conversions and i've read somewhere on this thread that these kawahara gears make a humming noise or something... i've also been told by a guy with a FW-05S that these gears can cause frequency interference due to the noise or vibration of the gears or something like that *shrugs*
Old 08-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by BrainTeased
oh! i need to put my shocks back on and tyres back on and roll it back and foward to see how free the car feels, as maybe the sound is normal! no one at my track has the kawahara conversions and i've read somewhere on this thread that these kawahara gears make a humming noise or something... i've also been told by a guy with a FW-05S that these gears can cause frequency interference due to the noise or vibration of the gears or something like that *shrugs*
why convert the car to the kawahara conversion?team drivers are doing great with the car the way it is (Josh C,David S.) I only made one change to the car and that was changing second gear pinion and spur and my car has plenty of speed at the end of a 250' straight
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
why convert the car to the kawahara conversion?team drivers are doing great with the car the way it is (Josh C,David S.) I only made one change to the car and that was changing second gear pinion and spur and my car has plenty of speed at the end of a 250' straight
I'd second that. Especially if you ger the steel 39T or new 37T ring gears.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by jeffreylin
I'd second that. Especially if you ger the steel 39T or new 37T ring gears.
mine are on the way!! i just dont see spending $400 for the conversion and it seems like those parts break easier than the stock parts!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
mine are on the way!! i just dont see spending $400 for the conversion and it seems like those parts break easier than the stock parts!
My stock chassis is dialed. I came in 3rd yesterday mainly because my contact lens kept drying out and I had to slow down a couple of times a lap just to blink my eyes.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I proved it on the weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.